NOW I am angry about the Sewage Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I have always heard using your garbage disposal for lots of stuff is bad too. takes it into the water supply. I try and use it minimally. Is this sound or baloney?

Hmmm... I've never heard this one before. This notion might be founded on pre-1970's lifestyles, back when septic tanks were commonplace. I would have to say that you're probably better off using the disposal. Household plumbing in most places in the U.S. goes OUT into a municipal water treatment facility. And no matter how dilapidated that treatment center might be, it should still have at least a decent primary and secondary treatment capability.

Conversely, food scraps chucked in the trash go to a local landfill, where they're simply *contained* more or less.

Now if you know for certain that your kitchen sink plumbing dumps straight into the local watershed, then by all means chuck your food scraps in the trash. Otherwise, put faith in the treatment plants. They still work fairly well... most of the time.eyebrow

Sorry DB,

Seem to be having trouble with our website...trying to get it fixed....I'll let you know when it's working again.

Aloha,
Lisa

Disgusting! At first I was grossed out at the 'accidentall spill' - now I am reading about deaths and severe illnesses due to this. This is the worst sewage spill in the nation. It is disgraceful. Pardon me if anyone has posted this link, but this is the news snippet from a mid-April death.

http://list.web.net/archives/sludgewatch-l/2006-April/001719.html

very upsetting. I still have not heard why they could not dog leg the pipe above ground. the news coverage is not doing a good job. The local stations do no investigative reporting, just this "polite" superficial coverage. I give them a c-.

The editorials are pretty pedestrian too. Function of small place? loyalty? Somebody is not doing their job. Biggest sewage spill in history of America? In a city with a population of 850,000???? That is hard to pull off.

AlaskaDiver:
Disgusting! At first I was grossed out at the 'accidentall spill' - now I am reading about deaths and severe illnesses due to this. This is the worst sewage spill in the nation. It is disgraceful. Pardon me if anyone has posted this link, but this is the news snippet from a mid-April death.

http://list.web.net/archives/sludgewatch-l/2006-April/001719.html

Yes, we were all shocked about what happened to this young man. I think the title in the link you provided is a little misleading...he didn't catch the bacteria surfing but by falling into the harbor that is at the end of the Ala Wai Canal - The canal that the sewege was dumped into. The water in that harbor has very little movement and I am sure the bacteria and other yucky stuff had the most perfect conditions to grow and prosper.

Back
Top Bottom