Double Your Burst Disk - Arguments For & Against, Please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulChristenson:
1500 degrees F...I don't think so...

Steel trusses start failing at 1000 degrees...

You might be going in...but we'd be backing out...Nomex thread that holds our gear together starts failing at a little over 900 degrees...

Firedex's outer shells degradation temperature vary between 700 for the cheap Nomex to 1300 degrees F for the top of line gear...
http://www.firedex.com/admin/docume...aspx?UID=462146A4-7D9D-499F-88D7-F7DC623304E2
Let me just jump in here since my day job is fire fighting instructor for the navy we have a bit of data on this subject.
A total saturation of 1500F will occur during a flashover where a room has become totally involved and all potential fuel is being consumed. The question arises whether a person would be in the area during a flashover and the answer is unfortunetely yes because the temperature rise can be almost instantanious.. It is the most dangerous condition a firefighter can experience and their only defence is to have a shielding spray of water to protect them. Now if you add exploding tanks to the equation the danger is even greater.
My question is to all you cyber scientists, why would you want to put the person saving your bacon in even more danger than they already are putting themselves in.
By putting this danger in the way you make the job more difficult, makes the FF less likely to want to risk his butt to save you, might make them a little more caution going in (read, slower) and may also have an effect on insurance rates.
Please let all the fire fighters on this board know if you double disk. They may just want to sit out your next house fire.

PaulChristenson:
1500 degrees F...I don't think so...

Steel trusses start failing at 1000 degrees...

You might be going in...but we'd be backing out...Nomex thread that holds our gear together starts failing at a little over 900 degrees...

Firedex's outer shells degradation temperature vary between 700 for the cheap Nomex to 1300 degrees F for the top of line gear...
http://www.firedex.com/admin/docume...aspx?UID=462146A4-7D9D-499F-88D7-F7DC623304E2

1500 is VERY COMMON for a fully involved structure fire. Yes, I know that steel begins to lose integrity at 1000, but that doesnt really apply to a house made of wood does it? We hit 1200 in a training fire last month. Are we jumping up and down in that heat? no, but those temps are routine, and should be expected as a possibilty in any enclosed fire. And you never know where people will store things. So the possibilty of a scuba tank rupturing in a residential fire is GREATLY increased when safeties are altered.

FD

fire_diver:
1500 is VERY COMMON for a fully involved structure fire. Yes, I know that steel begins to lose integrity at 1000, but that doesnt really apply to a house made of wood does it? We hit 1200 in a training fire last month. Are we jumping up and down in that heat? no, but those temps are routine, and should be expected as a possibilty in any enclosed fire. And you never know where people will store things. So the possibilty of a scuba tank rupturing in a residential fire is GREATLY increased when safeties are altered.

FD

Well if its fully involved...why would you be going in????

If you think Class V construction stands up better to fire than steel????

The bodies if there are any will be recovered after the fire's out...

PaulChristenson:
Well if its fully involved...why would you be going in????

I believe I covered that

PaulChristenson:
If you think Class V construction stands up better to fire than steel????

The bodies if there are any will be recovered after the fire's out...
There are 2 issues, temperature and time. A scuba tank may fail long before a steel girder

fire_diver:
Boy do you need an education! Try more like 1500 degrees in a house fire! And yes, we DO go in in those temps!

FD

Education? College of Engineering not count? Thanks! BTW, how are them schooners holdin' up round y'alls parts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom