Apeks Breakdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midnite135

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have done some searching (I swear!) and what I wanted to know I seem to be having some trouble locating. I have been to the manufacturer site but wanted someone to chime in on the old and the new...

Basically this is what I am looking at... I am about to pick up my first regs. I have looked all over and narrowed down the field a bit. The info I would like now is on the Apeks line.

I am guessing that the TX was an earlier model then replaced by the ATX and now the XTX. I have seen the TX50 mentioned several times as a good technical regulator, I would like something that fits this bill as its something I could see myself doing in the future. Is the XTX50 its equivalent/upgrade? I know sometimes when new "features" are added they can actually hurt some of the qualities liked in the orginal. (see old and new mustangs)

On the chart I notice that the XTX200 100 and 50 are all identicle as far as features... so why the 200 over the 50? I am kind of leaning toward the Apeks line but the information out there has me undecided over which I want and why. Saying the 200 is awesome is great, but if the 50 is too why should a buyer choose one over the other?

What are the differences between these models in an XT, ATX, XTX.

Possible diving scenarios for me would be cold water, technical diving, deep diving, salt and fresh water/contaminated water, strong current, and of course Nitrox mixes.

I would also look at getting the equivalent Octo unless there is some reason I should go with a different one?

Your feedback on this is very appreciated.

midnite135:
On the chart I notice that the XTX200 100 and 50 are all identicle as far as features... so why the 200 over the 50?

The second stages are the same but the first stages (hence hose routing and "performance") are different.

FSR is usually paired with XTX200, ATX200 (also Black Pearl and Tungsten second stages).

FST is usually paired with XTX100, ATX100, TX100

DST is usually paired with XTX50/40, ATX50/40, TX50/40.

DS4 is a "sold seperately" first stage, basically a "turret-less" DST with four 3/8" medium pressure ports instead of one 1/2" port and three 3/8" medium pressure ports.

midnite135:
What are the differences between these models in an XT, ATX, XTX.

The differences within the series (i.e. ATX40, 50, 100, 200) are minor cosmetic changes such as colour, finish and cover "design" and inclusion or lack of cracking resistance control.

TX = large second stage with wide exhaust tee. TX40 and T20 lack the cracking resistance control feature.

ATX (also Black Pearl and Tungsten second stages) = small second stage with very short exhaust. ATX40 and AT20 lack the cracking resistance control feature.

XTX = small second stage with redesigned venturi lever and choice or wide or narrow exhaust tee (Diver Changeable Exhausts system - DCE). Can also be routed from the left. The FSR, FST and DST first stages that come with the XTX second stages lack the usual Apeks 1/2" medium pressure port and have four 3/8" medium pressure ports instead. XTX40 and XTX20 lack the cracking resistance control feature.

Thanks alot for the information Vie this is very helpful.

I guess another question is, what do you mean by "Sold Seperately"?

I would like to get a XTX50 with the DS4 first stage and a XTX50 octo.

Does this just mean I will need to get it pieced together? (Guess its time to talk to the LDS)

Again thanks for the info.. Anyone else is more than welcome to weigh in, should I opt for the 100 or 200?

The DS4 is generally preferred is it not?

midnite135:
I guess another question is, what do you mean by "Sold Seperately"?

I would like to get a XTX50 with the DS4 first stage and a XTX50 octo.

Does this just mean I will need to get it pieced together? (Guess its time to talk to the LDS)

Again thanks for the info.. Anyone else is more than welcome to weigh in, should I opt for the 100 or 200?

You just have to order your second stage and specify a DS4 first stage. The DST is the normal "default" first stage for Apeks TX/ATX/XTX40 and 50 second stages.

I personally prefer the FST first stage (that comes with the TX100, ATX100, XTX100), but that's just me.

midnite135:
The DS4 is generally preferred is it not?

Yes, because of the price. DS4/TX50 is/was a very popular combination.

Thanks again for the reply Vie.

What do you prefer about the FST?

Am I correct in that the T designates a turret, and if so is that not considered a failure point?

You mentioned hose routing, but as I am inexperienced could you give me a bit of feedback on the pro's and con's of the first stage options, im not shrugging any off I just want to be well informed prior to the investment. I really appreciate your experience on this.

midnite135:
What do you prefer about the FST?

It is a proven Apeks design and I like the hose routing - I use my FSTs with AL80 doubles and I feel that they offer the best routing for tanks with short or no "neck" - I personally feel that with DS4s on AL80 doubles, the routing is a bit tight; many people may disagree and it is my personal opinion only.

midnite135:
Am I correct in that the T designates a turret, and if so is that not considered a failure point?

"Yes" for the DST... For reason(s) only known to Apeks, the FST has no turret. :D

Yes, a turret could be considered "an additional failure point" but a first stage with a turret does have its uses, i.e. as a deco reg on a deco/stage bottle. The turret would be pointless if you are using the first stage for backgas on a manifold.

midnite135:
You mentioned hose routing, but as I am inexperienced could you give me a bit of feedback on the pro's and con's of the first stage options, im not shrugging any off I just want to be well informed prior to the investment. I really appreciate your experience on this.

It's personal preference to be honest. I like my hoses routed a certain way, others prefers other ways. As far as Apeks goes, I think (just my opinion) that the FSR is better for a single tank setup because of the angle of the HP ports (although it is nice for doubles also). I like the FST best for doubles and feel that it is not so nice for singles. The DS4 is more than good enough for singles, doubles (steel tanks with tall "necks" particularly) and deco bottle. The DST is good for singles and deco bottle but pointless for doubles because of the turret. For warm water diving, the US4 is great for deco bottle also.

Thanks for the responses, Vie you have done a great job of answering my questions and I thank you.

Anyone else is welcome to fill this thread with more info, I will read anything anyone wants to add, hopefully this will answer any questions others may have regarding this as well. I personally found it difficult to find the information on my own. Scubaboard is a great resource )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom