Saw this on Another Forum...Deep Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo:
Hey, I'm pretty open minded. If you could clue me in on some links that discuss some liquid being used in diving outside of anything experimental. Heck, I'd even settle for any experiments that showed actual promise.

All we have in this thread so far:
- somebody who was on a seminar with a "PhD, prof. dr. and all that of hyperbaric fiziology".
- SEALs digging holes, covering themselves up to their necks with mud and waiting for submarines for a number of days then when it goes by....military secrets... Must either be great viz to discern all those top secrets on those passing subs or subs almost scraping the bottom of their hulls on the sea floor. Of course, all the cool technology and secrets are actually inside the sub so maybe the SEALs have X-ray goggles too.
- liquids that contain "food" and "antiseptics (for neutralising urin etc.)"
- colonoscopies
- "I met one of those divers too..."
- Not one link yet posted containing anything resembling science on anyone using liquivent or some other type of liquid for use in diving

So please forgive my cynicism. Particularly so close to April 1st. I think this discussion is interesting but probably more appropriate for a science fiction forum.

Must be a time zone thing. I place a few links to some of the test studies. must have missed them I guessed.

some pretty interesting stuff... do they only do 3 dives because after that it could kill them or is it a psych prob?

Storm:
Must be a time zone thing. I place a few links to some of the test studies. must have missed them I guessed.

Your links are to medical studies and not real world application towards diving, correct? I was pointing out that this "technology" sounds like fantasy where diving and SEALs are concerned.

Adobo:
Your links are to medical studies and not real world application towards diving, correct? I was pointing out that this "technology" sounds like fantasy where diving and SEALs are concerned.

You are quite correct. I was not being sarcastic, I had to edit my original post and thought perhaps you posted before I put the links in.

As far as what can be verified with reliable documentation, "liquid breathing" has not progressed past the med lab use. I know of absolutely no "diving" applications SEAL or otherwise for this technology, and unless someone can provide me the documented proof, my stance is that the rest a mere flight of fantasy.

Even if the technology for filling the lungs wold not kill the diver, there's still the cranal cavities whcih would be subject to pressure. Face fact folks. We will forever be just tourist in a hostile environment down there, and no amount of science fiction or fact will chance that. We were just not built to live down there.

OK, I live, work and dive on a Marine Corps Base and I just happen to have a SEAL buddy that frequents our Dive Locker and I had to ask him about this.

He looked at me, laughed histerically, and said, "Your @$#ing kidding me right?". "that stuff in the movie was about as accurate as the ejection accident scene in Top Gun".

After that he said that if either him or one of his buddies were EVER asked to just sit, buried in mud for days at the bottom of the ocean to wait for a sub to miraculously pass by, he'd quit.

Sorry guys, I'm going to believe my friend on this one.

-mitch-:
I was told that the Navy was, and still is experimenting with the liqiud oxygen...but the few divers they tested it on either died or will live with pneumonia for the rest of their lives because not all the liquid could be removed from the lungs during 'draining'.
This I can believe. Experimenting and keep pushing the enveloppe. Burrying oneself at extreme depth, waiting like a B@tch......?

I would also have to agree this is an interesting topic, but how realisitc can it really be? I personally don't like the idea of "drowning" or sitting at the bottom of the ocean for 3 days. The armed forces do make advancements long before we know about them, so i could say that i agree if they are trying new techniques and ideas, cause that is what they do. But i would have to agree with the person who said this seems like an april fools joke. Any one stupid enough to go that far down and "drown" their selves and burry them in the mud, needs to have a mental health check.

BigJetDriver:
If any of you folks seriously believes we have divers buried in the mud on the ocean floor at 3600fsw breathing a liquid substitute for our normal gaseous medium while "waiting for passing submarines", I have news for you.

When your company tells you to go for your next random drug screen, DON'T GO!! YOU AREN'T GOING TO PASS!! :doctor:

I really thought we had put an end to this nonsense! As was posted by IwakuniDiver, when he asked an active duty SEAL: "He looked at me, laughed hysterically, and said, "You're @$#ing kidding me right? That stuff in the movie was about as accurate as the ejection accident scene in Top Gun!"

Folks, if you find yourself actually believing this stuff, I advise you seriously to go to a lighter dose of whatever the heck you are ingesting! :doctor:

For the record then.....

IwakuniDiver has verifired that the whole SEAL or anyone else for that matter, diving aspect of liquid breathing is, at this time, pure fantasy.

We have already established that a medical application for liquid breathing has been expermimented with and is in some limited use.

nuff said...right?

There is no combat diver mission that would require this kind of equipment or technology. Typically, military divers(combat divers-SEALS, SF, MCFR, not navy salvage divers) are inserted via scuba so that there is a lower footprint. It aids successful infiltration, not submarine counting. There are other ways besides HUMINT to find out where subs are.

Even hydrographical reconnaissance wouldn't require it; if the water were that deep to enter a port, we wouldn't need the men looking at the bottom to see if we could fit.

Just my .02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom