Zeagle Stilleto v. Aeris Reef Rider

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been looking at these two for a BCD I can travel with and hopefully use when I return to CA. Any comparative input or suggestions? I'd love to support Aeris since I'm from O-town myself, but I kind of like that Zeagle warranty and reputation. Trying them first isn't an option. All they seem to sell here is Tusa.

RikRaeder:
I've been looking at these two for a BCD I can travel with and hopefully use when I return to CA. Any comparative input or suggestions? I'd love to support Aeris since I'm from O-town myself, but I kind of like that Zeagle warranty and reputation. Trying them first isn't an option. All they seem to sell here is Tusa.

I'm another Stilleto user. One thing I liked about it was a generous amont of space for weight. I dive dry in CO and NM, so I need a BC that could travel, but I also use 22lbs-28lbs of weight when diving dry, and many travel BC's don't handle that much weight without putting a lot at the tank if at all. I've found for trim I don't want or need a lot of weight at the tank for good trim, and I can load 10lbs in each front pocket, maybe more, but I've not tried. The back pockets at the tank can easily hold an additional 10lbs. I use hard lead, and I'm betting with soft weight it would hold more.

I sold my Ranger when I came across a too good to be true price on a new Stilleto from a buddy who purchased an out of business DiveShop in Key west. I've dove it now several times, and it dives just like the ranger with a smaller profile. It is every bit as study as the Ranger even if the shoulder straps are a bit narrower.

Another huge selling point of the Stilleto is the wide range of fit built into each size.

Some may not like the rip-cord system, but if you do have to dump weights it will likely be at the surface, and you can do it fast with one pull of the very easy to locate ripcord. A benifit of this system is that you only dump the weight, not some expensive pouch, so you can be ready to dive it again without finding a brand specific and expensive set of weight pouches which could prove impossible on a live aboard or abroad.

I also like the fact it has two tank bands. Many have only one, and while that is generally time tested, if it does come loose for any reason, your tank is going to go someplace undesirable. :11doh:

It's one nice BC, and I would highly recommend any Zeagle product. The Stilleto is designed from the ground up to be a rugged travel BC with a lot of the features of the Ranger LTD.

What can I say, the design of these Zeagles is top quality, and time tested.

Hmm. Zeagle 2 Aeris 0
Won't someone represent for O-town?

Thanks for the input so far

I guess I'm in a good position to toss in some input on this as I own both BCDs and alternate between them depending upon the type of diving I do. I have found both BCDs to be excellent for recreational diving and instructing. I have had the Reef Rider a bit longer than the Stilleto so will comment on that one first.

I was a bit wary at first about how "heavy duty" the Reef Rider would be for instructing but have been pleasantly surprised. Although constructed of lighter material than the Stilleto, after over 400 dives in both fresh and salt water - as well as pools - it shows virtually no wear! To me that's incredible. The other thing that I like is the spacious pockets that allow me to have the following tucked away and not dangling off the D-Rings: 6' safety sausage, folding knife, signal mirror, 50 lb. lift bag, finger spool with 100' of line and a whistle. I still have some room left over! The BCD also allows me to carry enough weight for either wetsuit or drysuit diving and provides plenty of lift. I also like the fact that I can easily reach and handle the zippered weight pouches for either in-water or on the boat weight removal and replacement. The pinch to release weight drop system is also easy to use. For travel, the Reef Rider is great - very light weight and folds/packs very compact. The only drawbacks that I have noted are the plastic D-Rings and I've noticed that the zippers on the trim weight pockets could be heavier-duty. They are like trouser zippers and sometimes require gentle handling. The Reef Rider has grommets so you can attach a small dive knife to the BCD pocket...but I found that it took a bit of work to actually get the knife attached properly...but then, I'm also pretty much a mechanical klutz.

The Stilleto has very rugged construction with stainless steel D-Rings and is just slightly heavier than the Reef Rider. I can still put the same amount of stuff in the two pockets, but it takes a bit more "stuffing" than the Reef Rider as they are just a bit smaller. If I am wearing gloves it's a tiny bit more difficult to get out my lift bag and finger spool than when I'm using the Reef Rider. The Stilleto has the same zippered weight pouch as the Reef Rider - but with the ripcord drop system instead of the finger pinch system. I can easily access the weights with the zippers on both BCDs. An advantage that the Stilleto has over the Reef Rider is the weight trim pockets. They have heavy duty top zippers and a great pull to drop feature that I can access while diving. If I don't put weights in the trim pocket I can put some of my safety equipment in them and access it easily while diving. I've even had a small U/W camera tucked away there! The other advantage of the Stilleto is the 2-strap tank band. It provides great stability and security for attaching your tank. I would encourage anyone purchasing the Stilleto to also purchase Zeagle's weight pouches - or come up with a DIY weight pocket liner. When using either 1 or 2 lb. soft weights, they can sometimes slip out of the pockets between the bottom laces (part of the weight release system). The lifetime warranty and customer service from Zeagle is also a great asset. One other thing I almost forgot - the Stilleto has modular construction and is designed right out of the box to adapt to a wide range of body sizes and shapes . This is a great feature since as your body changes...you can swap out the various parts of the BCD to accommodate weight and height changes - which at my age is mostly a fluctuating waist line! However, the BCD is exceptionally "adjustable" and is one you definitely won't outgrow.

With the airlines going to the 50 lb. limit now, both BCDs are great for traveling - as the manufactures state in their ads.

Bottom line...I like them both and have never regretted having both of them. I switch off between them when teaching and let students try them both once they get their basic skills down using our standard jacket style "teaching BCDs." Almost always I get great comments from them about the "freedom" they feel using them and how much better they feel with their buoyancy and trim underwater.

I monitor what my students purchase after they become certified and have noticed that there is currently about a 60-40 split between jacket style BCDs and back inflate BCDs with the 60% going to back inflation. Between the Zeagle and the Aeris the numbers are very close. You won't be disappointed with the performance of either BCD!

Add another vote for the Stiletto.

I'm sure the Aeris is a fine BC, but it doesn't have that cool Zeagle name on it....

LOL!!!

:wink:

Good luck with your shopping - and no matter which BC you choose, get out and DIVE!!!!

Scott

Thanks everyone for your advice and input. Special thanks to Frogman for a great comparision, and ScottZeagle for his impartial testimonial.

You will look cooler in a Zeagle. It has that cool has hell Z on it

Zeagle all the way. I dive a ranger ltd and absolutely love it. My decision on going zeagle was the fact they took care of me with a 20 yr old bcd my girlfriend had the bladder was rotted at the inflator and they totally hooked me up 130.00 for new wing/bladder and inflator installed and shipped back in less than a week. this bc was purchased 2nd hand but was in good shape other than the thing had a leak. I have to say this company kicks *** and has some of the best people representing the product you could ask for. plus they are big supporters of spearfishing.

Back
Top Bottom