Info "truk Lagoon"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drifter plus:
Anyone "been There/done That"...recommendations Of Liveboards That You Were On And Prices Etc...thanks In Advance..

Last time I looked, there were three liveaboards in Truk - the Aggressor, the Odyssey, and the Thorfinn. I've never been aboard the Odyssey. The Thorfinn dives off "tinnies" instead of the big boat, so only a handful of divers are on the wreck at one time, and the diving restrictions are few. The Aggressor moors to each wreck so there's a boatfull of divers of each wreck and the restrictions are more stringent. I enjoyed both liveaboards, but If I were into serious, deep diving I'd opt for the Thorfinn again.

As for prices, etc, check the web sites for all three boats.

scratch one of those - the Truk Aggressor is now the North Sulawesi Aggressor.

Drifter,
Aggressor pulled out of Truk a few months ago to put the boat in Sulawesi, Indonesia. Liveaboards in Truk are Odyssey (One of the BEST!!) been on it twice and doing two weeks on it next year. Other live aboard is the Thorfin, which I believe just came out of dry dock recently. Thorfin is huge and have heard good things about it, especially the crew. Odyssey is IMHO upscale accomodations. Odyssey ties up to bouys on the wrecks so no skiff or small boat to the site. Everytime I have been on Odyssey everyone seems to get in the water in small groups and you have plenty of time on each wreck with your own buddy or small group. Only dive that is a full on group is the Shark Dive. Would highly recommend getting to Chukk a day or two early rather than arriving in the dead of the night. Cheers.

Two pluses for the Thorfin: First, the DM's are top-notch. They know the wrecks inside and out; Deep penetrations with these guys without using lines. They have neat items hidden away to show their groups; sword blades, skulls, personal items, etc. Second, because you're diving out of tenders (tinnies), you can group according to experience and interest and not be uncomfortable with divers who want to go deep or penetrate the wrecks, or be bord with only shallow, outside dives. I also thought the accommodations were very good. Last, to say the least, the captain is interesting.

Barracuda2:
Two pluses for the Thorfin: First, the DM's are top-notch. They know the wrecks inside and out; Deep penetrations with these guys without using lines. They have neat items hidden away to show their groups; sword blades, skulls, personal items, etc. Second, because you're diving out of tenders (tinnies), you can group according to experience and interest and not be uncomfortable with divers who want to go deep or penetrate the wrecks, or be bord with only shallow, outside dives. I also thought the accommodations were very good. Last, to say the least, the captain is interesting.

I'll second the recommendation, I have used the Throfinn on multiple trips.. The most recent being in Feb 2006.. The new launches are great and if you as to go on a wreck thats a long run (away from where he centers the ship on for the next 2 days of diving), the launches do over 30 knotts!!

Remo and Bedowein have been with him for over 15 years each (remo a few years more) and know every wreck inside and out..

Depending on which deck you get a room the accomodcations vary.. I personally like the cabins downstairs below deck, they are bigger than all the others and have a private head and shower (but you hear the engine when the boat is moving and sometimes the generators)..

I also like the variety of the meals, I was there this last trip for 11 days and only had one meal I really didn't enjoy (I never could stand the smell of lamb being cooked), but an Aussie was in heaven for that meal!

I like the fact that they let you do what you want (as long as you follow the capitains mandatory stop schedule at a minimum), some dives I stayed with the group other times I just did a solo..

My dives ranged from a short hang to better than an hour (depended on which group I dove with)

To anyone who dove on Thorfin, do they have doubles w/DIN valves and stage/deco bottles? Their diving sounds great, but I would like to get in max bottom time.

MNawman:
To anyone who dove on Thorfin, do they have doubles w/DIN valves and stage/deco bottles? Their diving sounds great, but I would like to get in max bottom time.

You can rent twins and deco bottles.. You normall would follow a profile with the other divers,, If your diving with some other like minded people then they will acomodate a custom schedule.. longer bottom time doesnt necessaryily mean more fun in-water time.. People staying within the normal schedule get 4 or 5 dives a day.. people running tech profiles, 3 is usually the limit due to time..

For tech diving a group of 4 divers is the ideal size due to confort..

If you are diving alone, you may or may not be able to get a custom schedule based on how full the boat is.. Go with a buddy and arrange it ahead of time.. You wount regret it.. If you don't have a buddy, contact them they can probably give you a lsit of weeks that others are lookingfor the sametypes of dives..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom