Rear Inflation - Face Down in Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311:
Is the 80% of the weights non-ditchable? If so, not that it happens very often, but that sounds like an awful lot if you have to ditch. I spoke to Scott Zeagle, and he said a good rule of thumb is 1/3rd of the weight in the back. (i.e. if you need 12lbs, put 4 in the back, and the remaining 8 in the side-pockets.

The weight in the back pockets is ditchable. You pull up on a velcroed flap and down on a red handle and the weight falls out the bottom. Not that you would probably ever need to ditch weight, but if you do, it's pretty easy.

Skinsfan1311:
Which one do you have, and how do you like it? I'm leaning towards the Escape, or Stiletto, as I'm a purely recreational diver, who hit's the Caribbean a few times a year. Thanks!

I got a Brigade at ScubaToys (exclusive to them, I think). So far it is great. I think it is more or less a Ranger with an Escape wing.

SmileMon:
I'm not afraid of that, i'm afraid of those 3 seconds that the bouyancy of the BC is pulling you up when you first jump into the water, wrong angle and the thing is going to pull hard on your private parts instead of just streaching the BC down 2 seconds later, maybe I'm just paranoid..
LOL Your harness is not that loose. All the strap does is keep the BP bottom from lifting up while diving. Vertically you shouldn't have a problem.

Frankly, only time I use a strap is on my doubles. My single tank setup doesn't have one. I use a 130cf steel tank. No face plant and no BP movement.

SmileMon:
That's why my instructor said part of the buddy check is to notify the other diver where are my weights and what to pull?

Reviewing releases, equipment design and rig config is definitely required. Putting your buddy through the complexities of digging out your rear mounted weights in an emergency something entirely different.

The MAJORITY of your weight should always be quick release. Some weight in the back for balance, trim, comfort is desired of course. But from what you posted you have the percentages backwards in your setup. I hope other divers do not see the dilemma you described as resolved using your method, that is the intention of my post.

Tombo92551:
I tried a rear inflation BC yesterday and no matter how hard I tried, I ended up face down in the water. I usually use a jacket style and have herad that the back inflation unit is really good for trim.

Any thoughts on what I can do to keep my face out of the water on the surface. I prefer to swim on my back or rest on my back on the surface..

Thanx
Regards
Tom
Well, if you wear your BCD on your rear, this will always be a problem :D

I've a back inflation BCD, and if it's fully inflated, i.e. squeezing your guts, then this will happen. It takes experience, but I prefer the back (read NOT "rear") inflation to the jacket style.

MoonWrasse:
Well, if you wear your BCD on your rear, this will always be a problem :D

I've a back inflation BCD, and if it's fully inflated, i.e. squeezing your guts, then this will happen. It takes experience, but I prefer the back (read NOT "rear") inflation to the jacket style.

Steel tanks people. Steel tanks. Al80s are buoyant and its obvious why wearing one of those on your back with all your inflation on your back is going to pitch you forwards. A steel tank on the back will keep the inflation more on the midline (front-to-back) of your center of gravity by moving the center of gravity backwards. When it comes to my double steels with 10# v-weight the problem is completely reversed and I can't get off my back, which is midly annoying when you're trying to get out of the water after removing your fins...

Good job Lamont, about time somebody said something about steel tanks. Especially the torpedos I dive. hehehe

Like Lamont said, a steel tank is the best way to go (all the way around). But you should invest in a tank weight (or two ankle weights buckled together). It sits down above the boot, so it helps compensate for the buoyancy of the tank or BC. From my experience, I wouldn't recommend a crotch strap, but it just depends on the conditions that you are diving in. I was in a determining situation where I had to take a BC off of a distressed diver from a boat ladder in 8 ft swells, and it just added to the difficulty of the situation. We all cut our straps after that dive.

diveman7683:
I'm not trying to be a smart***, but, how does a back inflate BC squeeze your guts?
That one had my scratching my head too. hmmmm :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom