Just got back from Coz/ heres the real deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I keep reading that divers are seeing more fish than usual? I wonder if this is an illusion caused by low expectations or something, or - could the dramatic event have left more food in the chain for some reason. Nice news, to be sure, but odd nonetheless.

If anybody would know it would be archman. Might want to send him an invite...

divematt:
Originally Posted byRooster1

We did 3 dives from 120ft to 135ft and 3 other deep dives from 141ft to 174 ft and there was sand down there that had dropped down.

Rooster!, Who'd you dive with?

Thanks,
Matt

I have been diving with the same guys down there for years the owner and the divemaster are friends of mine. I do get some good perks when diving with these guys. they took me out twice with just two of us diving and one on the dive boat. (doesn't get any better then that!)
We did do some other dives with three others who dove with us for 4 days but nothing too too deep with the rest of the divers.

I was at the Casa Del Mar for Wilma. The staff was phenomenal... Unfailingly cheerful, kind, and we all made the best of a very nasty situation. After the hurricane, I went down and helped Del Mar Aquatics dig out the dive shop/locker room. What a mess... I'm glad to hear that Atlantis Sub is reopening. That place was completely destroyed and gutted. We'd been walking around over there, the night before Wilma hit, and looking at the hard-hat dive suit they had on display... After Wilma passed, there were no windows, no hard-hat suit, and even the light fixtures were gone. It's very impressive to see that they've recovered and re-opened. Congratulations to them.

Looking forward to seeing the old gang at the Casa Del Mar, next month. :)

Thank you for this report.

Christi:
We picked some people up at Atlantis pier today who are staying at Casa del Mar...no problems :)

Thanks for the info, Christi. Going to the Caleta was no big deal (actually kind of liked all the activity going on), but a pier pick up is convenient.

Rooster1:
I have been diving with the same guys down there for years the owner and the divemaster are friends of mine. I do get some good perks when diving with these guys. they took me out twice with just two of us diving and one on the dive boat. (doesn't get any better then that!)
We did do some other dives with three others who dove with us for 4 days but nothing too too deep with the rest of the divers.

Who? Are they a dive op that takes non-friend divers out? You never mentioned who!

Not much to add to this except that Rooster's assessment is fair and balanced. I visited the Island at the end of Feb, beginning of March for two weeks. I would agree with everything said in your trip report. Except for the crowded beaches on the east side on Sunday. But then, I'm sure that varies on any given week.

From my point of view, I wouldn't say the diving experience this year was worse than my experience on previous trips. I would only say that it was different. Personally, I found that the "re-birth" of the reefs was kind or exciting to see. One doesn't often get a chance to see this type of thing take place.

I will say that I am a little biased. I love the island and have met many great people over last few years of visiting. Many of which I count as friends. But their is no denying that the island has changed since Wilma and the recovery process will be slow as far as the natural conditions are concerned.

Very good trip report Rooster! Thanks for posting.

Tom

divematt:
Who? Are they a dive op that takes non-friend divers out? You never mentioned who!

I dive with Sea Urchin I have been diving with them for a few years back when Isidro owned it. The new owner is a real easy going guy. He has had the business for a 2 and a half years. very nice to deal with.

DandyDon:
You know, I don't care for the overall impact the cruise barges have on the community, and certainly not for their polution and reef ramming, but the passengers never bother me. They're just people, looking for a cheap way to get away from home - but take much of it with them. Most of them just don't have what it takes to be us. They don't go where I go or do what I do, and they're usually gone by the time I go to town for dinner.

Hehe, but I do moon the barges on the way home after diving.
action-smiley-086.gif

I don't have a problem with cruise ship patrons unless I have to mingle with them and the most important thing is that they play a huge role in Cozumel's economy. I might give Aunt Gertrude a pick or two to show to the grandkids next time she's porting in Coz too. Woo hoo!

The assessment is pretty close. We were there earlier this month. There is sand on every reef we dove, but in varying amounts. Tormentos dive site was the worst off. Heavy sand and very few soft corals. Other sites had a thin layer of sand and lots of soft corals and lots of marine life. The sites further south were in better shape. The amount of marine life was incredible. Sharks, turtles (2-5 on every dive), eagle rays, green moray eels (one eating another smaller eel on a wall dive). At Cedar Wall and Shallows we saw 5 nurse sharks, 5 turtles, green moray, large grouper etc. on one dive.
Topside downtown looks great. Food is still great and the hotel we stayed is completely open and was almost full when we were there. The island is recovering well.

DandyDon:
You know, I don't care for the overall impact the cruise barges have on the community, and certainly not for their polution and reef ramming, but the passengers never bother me. They're just people, looking for a cheap way to get away from home - but take much of it with them. Most of them just don't have what it takes to be us. They don't go where I go or do what I do, and they're usually gone by the time I go to town for dinner.

Hehe, but I do moon the barges on the way home after diving.
action-smiley-086.gif

Not referring to Cozumel but just in general to say that poorly designed sewage system and waste disposal management and lack of environmental awareness or enforcement, and poor urban planning will do more damage to the reef around an island then any number of cruise ships. There are lots of divers who cruise on vacation because it's a good option for a family vacation - something for everyone, visit 3-5 different destinations, variety of food, entertainment and activity for toddlers to teens, and adults. If you are trying to find a vacation that suits grandma, divers, teens and toddlers, and every other possible family member, then a 7 day cruise visiting Cayman, Cozumel and Belize or Costa Maya is a pretty good option. There are also many Coz vacationers who first visited and dived there while on a cruise.

Cruising is not my favorite type of vacation, but I do work for the cruise industry so all those cruisers do make it possible for me to take up to 4 land-based dive trips a year! I think alot of people don't realize that it's stiff competition to be a cruise port these days. There are big international conference every year where destinations from all over the world come with their plans and proposals in hand to present to the major lines in hopes of getting their business. The cruise lines don't go to an island or port city and ask to make it part of their itineraries. And why do islands want the cruise business? The lines make a significant long-term investment that allows improvements to the infrastructure and more tourism means more steady employment. You don't see Americans working to keep the cruise terminals in daily operation, or driving the taxis, buses, etc. Sad truth is that if the hotels in Coz were at 100% capacity for a week it wouldn't generate the dollars that two days of cruise ships brings.

Cruising has it's good and bad as does any industry. You don't have to love it. Heck, it pays my bills and most days I'm only neutral. But, I do think that too many people are too quick to blame it for the demise of island life and to assume that anyone who takes a cruise is at the bottom of the tourist chain. I've encountered many a rude, stereotypical American dive vacationer who expect everyone in the service and hospitality industry worldwide to speak English and take US dollars. Or the ones who want to travel to all the best destinations but only if they can get a non-stop flight and stay at a 5 star AI resort. I've also met some very well-traveled and interesting people on cruise ships.

Ok, I'm done now. Apologies for the rant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom