Just got back from Coz/ heres the real deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1:
The beach should be done by may1 as there was only one piece of break wall to put up and it would be done minus some clean up and new hammocks. I would not hold my breath for a new pier yet. The hotel dive business (del mar aquatics) is sharing the pier with atlantis sub right in front of the hotel. So if you dive with them you won't have to travel.

The restauant is actually really good. I had stayed there a few times in the past but never really ate there other then breakfast, but I have to admit the food was really good and much cheaper then town.

I did not go to Nachi Cocum but they do have free shuttle service for the hotel guests to and from the hotel/beach club

Great to hear the restaurant was good! I got a good deal on an AI package (cheaper then their rack rate, maybe because we were cancelled twice post-Wilma?) and although I usually like to go to town for dinner, the package is still a good deal for breakfast and lunches. Good to know that a couple dinners might be an option too if we don't feel like motivating.

I have a favorite dive op that I usually book with. The last couple trips we took a taxi to the Caleta, which was no big deal. By any chance did you see any other boats picking up divers at the Atlantis pier?

The Cozumel current branch of the Gulf Stream is going to keep removing sand from the reefs as it has done after hurricanes for millenia, so I'm sure it'll keep doing so day by day - just getting better and better. :thumb:

I keep reading that divers are seeing more fish than usual? I wonder if this is an illusion caused by low expectations or something, or - could the dramatic event have left more food in the chain for some reason. Nice news, to be sure, but odd nonetheless.

Anyway, thanks for the report. Looking forward to going again in a few weeks. :D

spacemanspiff1974:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cruise ships dumping off tourists to buy t-shirts and get drunk at Sr. Frogs should never be near a diver's paradise. In fact, the only cruise ships near a dive site should be cruise ships which are a dive site.

Sorry for my rant.

So how is Santa Rosa? I dove it on my open water and every visit since. Please don't tell me that it is trashed.

No Santa Rosa wall is not trashed but there is sand that has dropped there. We got very deep on this one over 170 feet and there was sand down there, but not bad at all . but over all still a very good dive no doubt about it

scubawife:
I have a favorite dive op that I usually book with. The last couple trips we took a taxi to the Caleta, which was no big deal. By any chance did you see any other boats picking up divers at the Atlantis pier?

I didn't really pay attention as to who was being picked up at the atlantis pier. I went to the caleta to jump on my boat and go, I have never dove with Casa del mar dive shop (del mar aquatics)

It took five years for the Homestead area up through Key Biscayne to recover from Andrew. Cozumel ain't Disneyland... it'll take time...

scubawife:
...did you see any other boats picking up divers at the Atlantis pier?

We picked some people up at Atlantis pier today who are staying at Casa del Mar...no problems :)

Originally Posted byRooster1

We did 3 dives from 120ft to 135ft and 3 other deep dives from 141ft to 174 ft and there was sand down there that had dropped down.

Rooster!, Who'd you dive with?

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for your very unbiased post and also for indirectly answering my question in another post re: what's the condition of the airplane wreck area in front of El Cid. I swear some of its the wrath of Mayan gods on El Cid management. When we stayed there in '04, the El Cid beach area was full of cruise ship folks (der...look, they have a tank on their back, wonder what they're gonna do....) who payed an afternoon beach rent fee to hang out. Jeez...I miss the good ole days.

Thanks again for the great post.

So are the cruise ships back in force now? Are they back in the same numbers as before the storms?

You know, I don't care for the overall impact the cruise barges have on the community, and certainly not for their polution and reef ramming, but the passengers never bother me. They're just people, looking for a cheap way to get away from home - but take much of it with them. Most of them just don't have what it takes to be us. They don't go where I go or do what I do, and they're usually gone by the time I go to town for dinner.

Hehe, but I do moon the barges on the way home after diving.
action-smiley-086.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom