Greetings from South Korea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey, nice to see someone from here, even though you're not really from here, i guess.

i'm also looking forward to the spring of Cheju!!! i probably go down to Cheju, once the water's warmed up. Cheju is completely different from the east coast, you can actually see some colors of nice soft corals. there are also a few Nemos moved in.

yes, diving gears are relatively expensive to buy in Korea, unless you're in the field. it's cheaper to get on the internet, however, shipping cost is a different story, unless you have an access to APO address.

and i wonder, how you got to swim with the sharks??? i'd love to do it oneday.

Hi Smiles :05:

You can swim with the sharks at the Busan Aquirium. I think they do it once or twice a month. While it in a tank it's still pretty cool. Differn't kinds and sizes of sharks and rays and they get really close to you. The only thing for me that was kind of weird was the hords of people oooing and aaahhing at you through the glass.

When do you think it'll be warm enough to dive cheju?

I have another question, has anyone dived the west coast? I'm currently living in Seosan and will be here for about another four months. I would very much like to go diving, I don't care about the vis or depth at this point as long as I can get wet.

Sorry to say but I should really be called 'drykiwi' at this point!

You may want to check out www.kua.or.kr/top.htm

There is a spot at that website that lists almost every single sea coast dive shops. You will see a map of Korea with little dive flags at each location.

wetkiwi:
Hi all!
Greetings from Daejeon in South Korea. Unfortunately Daejeon isn't near the ocean so I havn't been able to do much diving lately. But I did get to 'Swim with the sharks' in the Busan aquarium, which was actually pretty cool...big fishies, sharp teeth.

I'm hoping to get down to Che Ju Island (south of south korea) in the summer. I've heard that there's some good diving to be had down there, and I would be interested to know if anyone has dived there before and if so could they let me know what to expect.

In fact any information about any diving in this part of the world would be great.

I'm here for another year and a half, but I'm planning to go diving for eight months in Thailand as of July next year. Waiting is going to be a major BUMMER.

In any case I just wanted to say hi and wish you all safe diving.
LIGPO ISLAND: (Shore Diving adjacent to the resort)Just west of Ligpo Point. Generally calm. The east side has all the expected reef fish and invertebrates.In a west side, it is good dive site for night dives with a lots of flat worms, nudibranchs, moray eels,catfish and squid.Tuna,jacks, Manta rays settling in at the sandy area from February to May.

Average depth:27 m(90 ft)

Maximum Dept:61m (200 ft) (I just need to stay awake at all times and stop all illegal spearfisher men equipped with compressor especially at night. so please join me catch and keep them at bay and please contact Bantay Dagat or anybody who could helpfor any sighting this cruel poachers who demanded ransom from me of two baby mantay rays on the 14 Feb 2006.) That was the saddest day of my diving life! A baby manta was killed before my eyes for food that day by the uncaring human being I have meet in my life. I need help....please! )

DIVERS SANCTUARY REEF:(The Altar) Just infront of the property.

Average Depth::20m(65ft)

Maximum Depth:35m(115ft)

Generally calm, among the resident is the blue moray eel,grouper, crossed eyed lobster (I named Bruno) damselfish,cardianl fish, goatfish,goby, jack and trevally, moorish idol, parrotfish, pipe fish. snapper. wrasse fish,batfish,barracuda, hog fish,colorful feather stars, soft coral, frogfish,nudibranchs,mooray eels, sea cocumber,tuna, spanish mackerel,barell sponges, anemones with clown fishes lots of colourful soft coral and sponges. Manta rays nesting on the sandy area, giant turtles helping themselves with my newly planted Kappa Cottonii (seaweeds) abundance pelagics by the cave and watch out for the thresher shark as local fishermen already killed one last year 200 meters away from the resort. I need more Ambassadors, a voice to help me save this beautiful creatures of the deep. Dont forget to visit the 'The Altar' that I dedicated to this place on my 25th wedding anniverssary. This site is my favourite dive site in this this planet. Floating kubo available for rent in the site.You can also order refreshment and foods from my pavilion restaurant and eat at the kubo.

Bahura
Bahura means reef. The depth of this site ranges from 10 m to 30 m consisting of slopes, small drop-offs, overhangs and swim throughs. It is much the same as Beatrice Rock with abundant fish and fierce currents especially in the corners. Divers should be warry because down currents can happen. But when the current kicks, you can see some sharks swimming around, turtles, big mouth mackarel, milk fish, red tooth trigger, titan trigger, and lots of tropical fish! This site has to be planned well with the tides. Only for expert divers.

Bahura Ligpo
This is a deep dive again it could be reached by shore dive or use of my boat ,kayak, floater, dinggy from my resort. The top of the reef is around 21M/70ft. It looks like a plateau underwater. Some sides have sand alleys a sighting of huhr cuttle fish and huge octupus made my dive worthwhile, other sides are composed of big rocks with a lot of fan corals jutting out while other side is just a sandy slope watch for the tiny blue ribbon eel her name is "Betty Boo". Since this site starts deep it goes down deeper. Some sightings of eagle rays, sharks, turtles, school of barracudas and frog fish are common in this site. My last sightings with the Manta Rays were on the eve of 15th Feb 2006. Night dive was perfect here. Huge cuttle fish tried to steal my fins last time I dove here. I nearly swallowed my mouthpiece in a sheer panic. I would never get bored here and I could dive here everyday if work allows me.

Cheju isn't the only diving in korea. There're lots of good sites on the east and south coasts. Too bad you're down in taejeon. There's always room on my clubs bus for divers. The shop owners speaks english and is a great guy. Have fun and dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom