20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read it as a kid back in the early 70s and love the movie.

Got hooked on subs and everything under water after that. Ended up joining the Navy Submarine Service in the early 80s and worked with a saturation dive team. Hard to believe I waited till my mid 40s to get into scuba.

Excellent book! At the same time it clearly and sadly demonstrates how modern books and movies have taken a turn for the worse in an effort to appeal more to the unthinking-man.

Austin

I’m reading it right now. I do like the book, but it would be much better with out all the technical details, it’s just a little over board. I’m not surprised that the movie cut them out.
Also, I found it interesting that Jules thought that the visibility would be over a mile. I bet he would have been surprised to find that 200’ is about the max.

Steve

Read it as kid just like all other Jules Verne books. Have not read any writer that stimulated my phantasy as much as his books.
I actually find it sad that people even mention the movies. Movies do nothing to stimulate your thinking and phantasies.

Great book. I love reading it in the winter and thinking of those deep blue waters.

Several times. Most recently about 8 months ago.

the K

I first read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when I was in grade school (a long, long
time ago). Loved it. In case you were unaware, Nemo and the Nautilus meet their
end in another Verne book called "Mysterious Island".

I am not much of a reader, but I love the movie. Disney spent a lot of time and money to make the film. All of underwater sequences where done in the Bahamas.

20,000 Leagues is now available on DVD. Lot's of good "making of" features to watch.

I particularly like to see what a reef looked like 60 years ago! All those lobsters!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom