Log Book Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love keeping a written log book because I enjoy having it with me so I can write in detail on my trips. But, I always put them on the computer so I will have a backup just in case I ever misplace my log book. I would hate to think that I would lose all my information because I did something stupid.

If you use a Palm Pilot, check out the Ruiz Log.

www.ruizlog.com

I've been using this, and it is great.

Now...when will Palm or Handspring or Compaq come up with a nice dive-worthy model?!?!?

Curly,
Thanks for the link on the Ruiz Dive Log. Just wired funds to them for the password. Been looking for a decent planner for the palm and this looks like the best one so far.

Best Regards
Don Costanza

That Ruiz Software for the Palm is AWESOME. He has done a very good job with that and I have used it along with my paper backup for some time. There is one glaring problem however....

I have since developed my own paper logbook and the reason is because allof these dive logs developed for the palm or desktop use square profiling for one's dives. Multilevel dive profiles are essential. I use a simple bottom timer and depth guage and know my tables and dive profile, etc... When I goto log them, square profiles are useless.

So my advice to anyone who is thinking of creating dive log software that is developed to stand on it's own, whether it be for the palm, the pocket pc, or the desktop, develop software that enebles multilevel dives. It is relatively useless otherwise.

ok, somewhat silly question, my app is now at the stage where I need to implement the actual dive data, I was going to use the thing from my PADI log book (I think you refered to it as square?)

How would I do it for the multilevel? is there an example of what it looks like somewhere, are there any calculations etc?

If someone could let me know how its done, I will do my best to build mine as a multi-level diver log. Otherwise I'll just use the plain log book one, as its for a school assingment anyways. I was just hopeing that I might make one good enough that I would want to use it, and maybe other divers I know would want it.

My dad actually looked at it the other day and was like... "WOW!, could you sell this?" I just laughed cause I dont think its that super (never like my work as much as others do) but also cause there is other free stuff out. Even if I end up making something 1000x better than anything on the market it will stay free, of course donations gratefully accepted :wink: HEHE

Oh and I'm developing mine on the .Net frame work with Visual Basic.Net so you will have to have the .Net framwork to run my app (I will try and include it in the installer if I ever get to that point) but I will probably include the source code as well, so any other VB.Net guys can be free to improve it, or look at it and tell me how to improve it. Once I do get to that point all I ask is that if you do make an improvement send it to me, cause I might want it in my version too :wink:

I should actually build an installer today and have all you guys begin beta testing what is there... For what I have (minus the depths etc.) its at a point where I need to know what brakes, and how it brakes, if you can even brake it :wink:

Ok thoose willing to try http://scuba.abbottstudios.d2g.com/scuba.zip 3.7 MB Zip file

Contains the windows installer for my app.

If you download and install it, PLEASE use the default location for where to install. At this point in time not installing it in that location will cause the program to function improperly. I'm working on the solution to this, but haven't got it yet. Also You will need to download the .Net framework and install it (sorry)

The framework can be found from Microsoft (its free) and is about a 20MB download (sorry again)

Anways, the source files are included, theres a small sample database already (test data) and it is still missing the dive data of depth etc. anything else you are able to brake or find that is missing and should be in the application, please feel free to IM me, e-mail, PM, or post it here.

Enjoy!

noshow once bubbled...
...allof these dive logs developed for the palm or desktop use square profiling for one's dives. Multilevel dive profiles are essential.

Excellent point. I do like the Ruiz app for the Palm as a general logging tool. It has many fields that a plain log book doesn't include -- and this has forced me to remember such things as weather, water temp, equipment configurations, etc. For my purposes, it's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom