Georgia Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...No kidding? I presume that's available for all divers? Or just a military training outpost?

That's what I'm looking for in variety. A lot of divers limit themselves to occasional trips to the warm waters, and that drives me nuts waiting that long.

You'll have to give me some leads when I get down there.

There's Lake Jocassee in upstate SC about 3 hours from Atlanta (I think) and also Lake Keowee...the hot hole is great..a drift dive, brought to you by .... the nuclear power plant reactors cooling water...went last Sunday, water temp was 94 deg. f. and an awesome current....Jocassee has a chinese Junk approx. 40-60 ft long in 40 -45 ffw. also basketball court. dive platforms, 4 or 5 other boats, etc...
Bobb

Bobb.
Whats the water temp/Viz like at the Keowee Pumphouse this time of year?
Is it a worthwhile trip from Atlanta?
Looks like fun!

Not a good idea,

Just the word 'Jaw' in there would make the would be divers scared to go back into the water again.

small world. I grew up in Smiths Station and graduated from HS there. My dad still lives in Smiths and most of the rest of my family in nearby Phenix City.

Way back when, our best local dives consisted of trips to the Chattahoochee to look for some of the slot machines tossed into the river by the National Guard (back when PC was really bad. I have that old movie, "The Phenix City Story" on tape somewhere.....)

We used to dive right behind the dam, downstream side, at both Goat Rock and Barlett's Ferry. In mid-late summer, the water in the "sloughs" there could get pretty clear-with the vis approaching 10' (hey, GOOD for the Chattanasty). We saw lots of big catfish, carp and bass in those waters, some big enough to give us a start. I even witnessed a huge bass hit and take a water mocassin in those waters once. Good thing bass don't get REALLY big---we might end up as bait.

Lake Martin is a bit of a drive, but the water is very clear and deep and I frequently heard rumors about an old WWII bomber that was supposed to rest in there. I never saw it, but I can atest to the clarity of the water.

Panama City is STILL one of my favorite destinations, and it's only about 3 hours south of you. Now that I live in Texas, we often drive 3 hours for DINNER. Jeesh, back then, I thought that was a long drive.......not any more!

As for Morrision-I was diving it when it was only a "local" spot for cavers. I still remember when they put up the sign that said, "20 Divers have died in this spring. Will you be next?". Someone had "exed" out the 20, and spray painted 21. Another ex-out and someone had written "23". There was no shop or air, just a wide spot at the end of a road and some beautiful water. Back then, it wasn't unusual to see guys with scott pack bottles trying to dive alongside folks in doubles rigged for penetration. It was a real hodgepodge of divers and gear. I guess we were lucky more folks weren't killed.

I always liked that place best when the river "backed up" and you had to go through 40' of blackwater to hit the incredibly clear outlflow from the boil. We'd have to fight out way in, but the view out the opened was eerie, with the dark water looking like a dark gray green sky. More than once I ran into an open water diver who didn't used a guideline. Sometimes they had that awful wide-eyed look that made me hand them my line and coach them out. That was, of course, back in my "stoopid" days. I know better than to enter a cave like that now. I was no better trained or qualified than them, I just thought I was......

Anway, it was neat seeing another "bamam" on the list. That makes 3 or 4 here that post a lot, I guess.

Btw, I was certified by Jerry at Planet Ocean in Columbus. That was, ahem, 1976. I don't know how his shop is run now, but in the 70's and 80's, he had a great operation that was very customer oriented. I based my business plan for a Houston LDS on his setup. That's when the reality of how little money these guys make really hit me. I dropped that bad idea quick-quick.

Is he still around? I sent him an email a while back and never got a reply.

Anyway, it was neat seeing someone on the list from Phenix City. Tell all my relatives (about 20% of the population) that I said "Hi!"

Holy Cow....I just read what I wrote. I said, "right behind the dam"..Jeesh.....I didn't mean RIGHT behind the dam. We were safely downstream of the turbines. The water was only 20' deep or so.

NEVER get near those turbines, even while fishing from shore. When those sirens sound and the turbines spool up, the water can get really nasty quick. It can even rise enough to wash careless bank fishermen into the water or swamp a little bateau that got too close.

Rockhound,

Do they still dive in Chattahoochee?

Diverjed

Glad to meet/hear from you. Yes, Jerry is still there. His business seems to be going good. Apparently the Chattahoochee is alot nastier than used to be. We're trying to locate a place to dive in it that we can carry students, but we're not having any luck. The water is real inconsistant. The Corp of Engineers and the City of Columbus are considering removing the old Columbus mills dam and the Eagle & Phenix dam. Supposedly to return the river to is natural state. But in reality, they think they can attract kayakers.
The LDS in Auburn carries students to Lake Martin, but I don't know exactly where (yet).

Back
Top Bottom