Why not DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
Are you GUE trained? If so then contact one of your GUE instructors and ask if this if it's BS. I trust my sources.
Figures. The dance and the misinformation continues.

artw:
its Scubaboard. do you expect anything less?

ah, yeah.... that's why we call B.S.

er.. NO... that's why we expect "more."

er... not more B.S. .... less B.S.

so yea..... we do expect less B.S. sorry, you're right!

:wink:

Kind of a ridiculous thread, but what sort of SBer would I be if I didn't contribute in some way. I won't pretend that I read all 284 previous posts. To answer why NOT DIR:
1. If you like pink fins or a multicolored drysuit
2. You like to dive safe but perhaps find that a certain piece of equipment works better for you that isn't DIR approved
3. You don't want to stop smoking
4. You only dive once or twice a year on vacation, if so DIR probably isn't for you (you won't be a very effective DIR diver if you only touch scuba gear once or twice a year)

This isn't to say anything negative or positive about DIR, but the reasons why not are just that is isn't for everybody. There are lots more reasons why NOT DIR, many of them on a person to person basis and not having much to do with the philosophy itself. Flame away.

catherine96821:
Well are you SUPPOSED to not use a computer?
You should be able to do min deco limit (MDL) dives without a computer. But that won't be hammered on in DIR-F class. If you need the computer to dive, then dive with the computer until you have learned to dive safely with a bottom timer. You can even dive with the computer as a computer (like a backup) as you learn to use it as a bottom timer. Lots of people do exactly that. Its not that big of a deal, really, but you should at least learn the ascent profiles vs. (for example) blindly following your computer up to 15' for three minutes.

You won't be using a computer as a computer in the tech/cave classes, but that's in the tech classes, not rec. Different beast.

StSomewhere:
You should be able to do min deco limit (MDL) dives without a computer. But that won't be hammered on in DIR-F class. If you need the computer to dive, then dive with the computer until you have learned to dive safely with a bottom timer. You can even dive with the computer as a computer (like a backup) as you learn to use it as a bottom timer. Lots of people do exactly that. Its not that big of a deal, really, but you should at least learn the ascent profiles vs. (for example) blindly following your computer up to 15' for three minutes.

You won't be using a computer as a computer in the tech/cave classes, but that's in the tech classes, not rec. Different beast.

I did over 100 dives post-DIRF still using a computer. I ran dives in my head and on the computer for a long time comparing results before it got to the point where the computer didn't really offer anything and just annoyed me, then it got switched into gauge mode.

JustinW:
1. If you like pink fins or a multicolored drysuit

Yeah theres a 2 hr lecture in DIR-F about how you cant dive in colored gear, cause its unsafe...NOT.

Oh, the quality of the thread is better now since I have been gone?

On the other hand, I have had a 100% change of opinion about being critical in any way about DIR. Since my DM cert is from PADI, I should just keep my mouth shut. Really, I mean it. Complete change of opinion. Some people do actually think and change their minds.

lamont:
I did over 100 dives post-DIRF still using a computer. I ran dives in my head and on the computer for a long time comparing results before it got to the point where the computer didn't really offer anything and just annoyed me, then it got switched into gauge mode.
The way I see it, its not about whether the computer is in computer mode, its whether I'm thinking about my profile and where I am in that profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom