another year another strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perpet1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Although it looks like another year and another strike on the NH lobster Bill. Interesting thing though after speaking with fish and game. Did you know hunting lobster was a social issue? I confronted F&G with some real numbers (thanks to mass for keeping good records) and they relented and made it clear that there was no actual impact. They went on to say that there was a great social impact. Interesting coming from a marine biologist who is paid by the state to be a scientist... My problem with this is any scientist can easily impose bias into what is supposed to be an unbiased scientific study. Sort of like making up the evidence to fit your political needs. LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Representative Dennis F. Abbott from Newmarket NH (contact information: http://gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/house/members/hroster.asp just type abbott in the blank) also conceeded that there really was no significant impact other then the great social problems this bill would create. Feel free to contact him regarding how divers hunting lobster is a state wide social issue. Remember most cell phones have free nights and weekends.

So after speaking with F&G they told me that I needed to convince the commercial lobstermen that we are no threat in order to get the bill passed. Even the biologist told me that I needed the support of commercial lobstermen to pass the bill as if the scientific evidence would go away if we just had the backing of the commercial guys.

Also an inteestng point, NH Fish and Game is run by a board of commisioners, one from each county. The commissioner from Rockingham county holds a commercial lobster license... Although he is a nice guy and willing to help as long as it does not mean supporting the bill.

So question for you mass types, what year was the bill passed in mass. I am going to track down the effect on the mas lobster industry (I suspect it is insignificant). As for the social issue that the biologist turned sociologist speaks of, How many divers have been run down?

If interested in helping feel free to contact any member of the house F&G committee. The bill actually goes to vote by committee on Tuesday and it has been made clear that it will be killed.

Contact information (ALL THIS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC on the NH house website)
Fish and Game Committee contact information:
Chairman: Robert J. L'Heureux (r) Merrimack :(603)424-2539
Vice Chairman: Donald Carlson (r) New Ipswich (603)878-3472 dcarlson@monad.net
Clerk: Dennis Reed (r) Franklin :(603)934-3657 dreed1@msn.com
Robert R. Barker (r) Campton (603)536-2401 bob.barker@leg.state.nh.us
Paul Mirski (r) Enfield Ctr :(603)632-4945 paul.mirski@leg.state.nh.us
John F. Klose (r) Epsom,
Benjamin E. Moore (r) Seabrook (603)474-2076
Stephanie Eaton (r) Littleton :(603)444-2604 stephanie.eaton@leg.state.nh.us
Mark S. Clark (r) Bedford :(603)472-7213 mclark@sjh-nh.org
Bruce D. Heald (r) Meredith :(603)279-8026 bheald@metrocast.net
Renney E. Morneau (r) Berlin (603)752-7040 renney.morneau@leg.state.nh.us
Howard C. Dickinson (r) Ctr Conway :(603)447-2266
Vincent E. Greco (d) Pembroke :(603)485-3770
Roland J. Lefebvre (d) Nashua (603)888-2385
Paul A. Brassard (d) Manchester (603)623-2738 paulbrassard@juno.com paul.brassard@leg.state.nh.us
Peter E. Solomon (d) Canaan (603)523-4562
Stanley S. Plifka Jr. (d) Winchester (603)239-6040 lsplifka@usadatanet.net
David L. Smith (d) Nashua (603)882-9091 david.smith@leg.state.nh.us

reefseal:
C'mon NH Divers! You should be outraged!

Apparantly not........

Hmmm... Lobsters on Scuba. I remember urchin divers and boats getting shot at while diving too close to lobster pots in Portland. Although I no longer live up north, and can see no reason not to take lobster on scuba, those fishermen are serious about their lobsta. I would not like to take on a pissed off lobsterman who thinks I may be stealing from his traps....

divewookie:
Hmmm... Lobsters on Scuba. I remember urchin divers and boats getting shot at while diving too close to lobster pots in Portland. Although I no longer live up north, and can see no reason not to take lobster on scuba, those fishermen are serious about their lobsta. I would not like to take on a pissed off lobsterman who thinks I may be stealing from his traps....

I dive lobster all the time in Boston. There are so many traps out there you can't find a place to dive away from them. Any lobstermen who think they own the ocean can kiss my arse. As far as shooting at anyone....they make jailcells for anyone who would threaten anyone else with firearms.

The woosie NH politicians who deny NH residents the right to use the ocean because of the lobby of the lobster industry should be ashamed. ( not that NH has much coast anyway.)

At least some of my dive buddies from NH can come down to Boston and dive with me and get some lobster because I have a Mass license.

John C.

About 15 years ago the San Diego Dive shops took a poll to estimate how many lobster sport divers took during the season. They determined that all the divers together took less than the top two commercial lobster boats.

dpbishop:
About 15 years ago the San Diego Dive shops took a poll to estimate how many lobster sport divers took during the season. They determined that all the divers together took less than the top two commercial lobster boats.

I actually worked the numbers and in NH divers would probably take 1600 pounds of lobster a year give or take... The inshore commercial guys take 1,400,000 pounds a year.

Even if we took the lobsters right out of their traps--I am not sopporting that in any way--at the end of the year they would not see the difference in their total catch. remember divers are limited to 30-60 min while a trap can sit there 24x7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom