Trip Report - Panama City/Hydrospace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarhead

Contributor
Reaction score
September 22, 2002
Panama City Beach, FL
Operator: Hydrospace (7-11am trip)
Dive Shop: Sand Dollar Dive Center
Vessel: M/V Reef Runner
Captain: Kevin
Mate: Dino

We drove down on Saturday afternoon, arriving in PCB at about 5:30 CST. We checked into the St. Andrew’s State Park Campground and pitched our tents in site #70. Everyone else was staying at the Holiday Lodge, so we met up there for Dinner. Kirby’s favorite is Hunt’s Oyster Bar near the City Marina, so we figured we try there first. The wait for a table was not long. The eight of us went through twelve dozen oysters, two pounds of steamed shrimp, an order of mahi-mahi and an order of Frog Legs. We knew we had to be on the dock at 6:30 the next morning, so most of us turned-in for the night. The night was hot and humid, so it wasn’t a good night’s sleep in a tent with no A/C.
Sunday morning dawned with blue skies and just a few scattered clouds. We skipped breakfast and just picked something to eat on the boat (mistake #1). We were the first of our group at the dock; so we found out which boat we were on and staged our gear, filled out waivers, etc. Loading the boat went smoothly. The boat was going smoothly in the bay and then we cleared the jetties. Thanks to Isadore, the swells are 4-6 feet. We proceed out to Bridge Span#14 for our first of the day.

Dive #1
Bridge Span #14

Water Temp: 86f
Max. Depth: 76 fsw
Avg. Depth: 52 fsw
Bottom Time: 26 minutes
Buddy: Joshua Alexander

Due to the rolling and pitching of the boat, gearing up was interesting. We quickly learned that it was easier to just sit and wait for your turn to giant stride off the boat, than get in line to wait. I’m using new spring straps on my fins (thanks to the efforts of Ben Ginnins) on this trip. After entering the water, I pulled down to 15 fsw on the ascent/descent line to get under the surge but even at 15 ft. it was pretty stout. After Joshua joined me there, we did our buddy checks and descended to the span. At the top of the span (~50fsw), Vis is 20-40ft. We continued down to the base and Vis decreased to ~3ft. with a noticeable current. After traveling to the other end of the span at the base, we ascended to the top of the span where Vis was better. There was still a slight current at this depth. This dive was the first time I had ever seen banded-butterfly fish. I made sure to point them out to Josh. We continued around and through the upper portion of the span until Joshua reached 1200psi. Then we returned to the ascent line, and did a slow ascent (10 fpm) to our safety stop at 15ft. Once again the surge was beating us up pretty bad. I had Josh board the boat first. Then I followed. The new spring straps on my fins made fin removal at the ladder a breeze. Which was good considering the way it was bouncing around.

Once everyone was aboard, Kevin moved the boat closer to shore, hoping that the land would help shield us from the wind and waves. Didn’t work.
We had an hour for our surface interval.

Dive #2
Sand Barge

Water Temp: 86f
Max. Depth: 58 fsw
Avg. Depth: 43 fsw
Bottom Time: 16 minutes

Joshua wasn’t feeling very good and decided to sit this one out. Apparently, I’m not that smart. Although, I think it was more “lack-of-sleep” and “Dramamine-on-an-empty-stomach”, than Sea-sickness”. I wasn’t feeling very well either. I joined up with Kirby and Jo Anne for this dive. After mooring, Dino came aboard and announced that there was a stiff current and Vis was about 3 ft. We decided to try it anyway. On entering the water, I pulled down to 15 feet. Looking back, the boat was really taking a beating. I was glad I was off of it. After buddy checks, I followed Jo Ann down to the wreck. If her fins hadn’t been bright pink, I would’ve never been able to keep track of her. After moving 10-12 from the mooring line, Jo Ann lost Kirby. It didn’t take him but minute to notice and he came back to her. Jo Ann immediately called the dive. Kirby agreed with her but suggested I join one of the other pairs. I agreed, but accompanied them back to the mooring line. After they began their ascent, I moved 30 feet up the starboard side of the barge. I could see neither bubbles or lights from any of the other three pairs. I moved back to the mooring line, across the stern and up the port side about 30 feet and still saw no one. I decided they must have called their dives, too. I moved back to the mooring ling and began a slow ascent (10fpm). I was still watching below for lights and/or bubbles, but the murk was too thick. I took my three minutes at 15 ft. I think the surface conditions were getting worse. Then I moved to the stern and boarded the boat. In turns out that the other three pairs were still in the water. Two pair had been pushed off the barge by the current. One pair was able to find the barge again but the other had to make a free ascent and swim back to the boat.

Upon return to the dock, I was able to meet Rick Murchison. He and his group from Adventure Sports II in Montgomery were to go out on the Reef Runners next trip. It was really great to meet someone from the Scubaboard face to face. I introduced him to Josh and he introduced me some of his group and invited me to go out with them, but I had had enough for one day. I look forward to the opportunity to dive with them sometime in the near future. Maybe I can get him to go out on the Empire Mica with us October 25th.

The trip home was uneventful. We stopped from gas and dinner in Dothan, AL and were home by 5pm EST.

Jarhead

It was great to put a face with a name at last, Jarhead spotted me on the dock... Joshua looked like he'd recovered well.
For our turn on the Reef Runner, I sacrificed a few chickens to the weather gods and called for the wind to die, which it did, so the cross-swell chop that had plagued Jarhead on his trip layed down and we had a right smooth trip out to the Black Bart. Unfortunately, I must have been a few chickens short to suit Neptune's Gulf rep, and the mudstorm below hadn't abated at all. Isadore's affect is already reaching local waters - there was a long period swell coming up from the south, perhaps eight to ten feet from trough to crest. It was hard to judge, but the Island Diver, 85 feet long and about a quarter mile distant, was disappearing below the swells from time to time. It didn't look bad, or ride bad, because the period was some 15-20 seconds, but what this wave arrangement does is extend the surge deep, in this case all the way to the bottom 85 feet below, where it was stirring up a cloud of crud some 40 feet thick, in which the visibility dropped to near zero.
This was not a good day to contemplate wreck penetration - the surge was strong and irregular, sending first a blast through openings in the hull, then a dangerous siphon capable of sucking the strongest swimmer inside, leaving pieces of wetsuit & flesh on the surrounding barnacles - to say nothing of getting slammed around inside should one actually make a successful penetration. Combined with visibility of under three feet with even a bright light, we had a sporty situation.
With a reel and some hand holding we were able to get the required dives done, but life in the muck wasn't very much fun, even if somewhat interesting.
One must make the great dive where one can, and on these two (our second was on bridge span 14 with just as bad vis) that was along the anchor line between the top of the mud cloud at 40 feet and the boat, where visibility was about 50 feet or a little better. Here were numerous spadefish, a few great barracuda, some magnificent jellyfish with tentacles that went on and on and on and on, Spanish mackerel herding baitfish, remora trying to hitch a ride, and a large (I estimate 60 pounds) ling (cobia/lemonfish... depending on where you're from). Still great dives!
The next ones will be better.
Rick

Cobia? Lemonfish?

Oh, yea...you mean a Ling. YOu need to get the name right, ya know......

Mmmmm...good eating. My 9 yr. old caught a 47lb. specimen about two months back. That was some of the best tasting fish I've ever had.....

(Oh, yea. My "coonass" wife also calls it a Lemonfish. But, she also calls crawfish "food" instead of "bait", which means her judgement is already suspect. Of course, she knows that I used to eat mullet when I lived in Alabama, so she pays me no mind....).

Rockhound once bubbled...
Cobia? Lemonfish?

Oh, yea...you mean a Ling. YOu need to get the name right, ya know......
You know, I'm happy when someone uses any of the three... most visitors to the gulf surface hollering "shark!"
Rick

After all y'alls carrying on, I had to go look up what you were talking about. But no, I didn't see nothing like that. It would have been a thrill though.

cobia.jpg

Jarhead

My son thought that is what he had on the line when he caught it.

I'll admit to having taken a "second glance" more than once when one of those big babies swam by on the edge of visibility......and I've heard other folks "swear" they saw a shark when I knew it was a lingcobialemonfish that was cruising around them......

We were set up to dive with the Panama City Dive Center 3 tank dives on Saturday 092102. We were on the Tropical Sun, JoAnn and Juan were captain and crew. It was only our 7 divers on the boat. Pretty much sounds the same as what both Jarhead and Rick reported for Sunday. Our first dive was Bridgespan #12 the vis there ranged 20-40 ft. we had a lot of rolling swells and surge. My brother, niece and I made it back on the turn around to the anchor line, the other four divers had drifted off and were making a free ascent, my brother told me to continue up the anchor and he was going to bring the others back. Well, after he got to them he could no longer see me or the anchor line. I continued up slowly did my safety stop and made it back to the boat before them. Next stop was the Sand Barge, very rolling water and alot of surge even at 45 ft at the bottom of the anchor line. I was holding there waiting on my sister and brother in-law, and between the surge and no vis I was getting kinda queazy.
When she got down I signaled I needed to go up, big mistake I think. When I got to the ladder I was real queazy and even with a Transderm patch I tossed my breakfast. Again the group seemed to drift off the barge and have some trouble coming back to the boat. I decided not to try the 3rd dive, my sister sat it out with me. Two of the divers, with us came back early and both were sick much like I was trying to get back on the boat. My brother in-law, brother and niece drifted a long way back and had a long swim to the boat. Juan had to dive in and tow my niece to the boat.

We all cancelled for Sunday and did not even attempt dives Just hung out on the beach and did some shopping. Left for home after eating at 2:30 CST, got back in Augusta 10:00pm EST. Had fun and would love to dive there with better conditions.

I think I'll agree with Jarhead. Oh, by the way, I'm his son Josh. I think my nasty feeling is from lack of sleep the night before. I'd say it was about 77-78 dregrees that night. When we set our tents up we were scared it was going to rain so we put the rain flies on our tents which helped trap in the heat. Then I kept waking up about every 1 1/2 hours. But then after the first dive I was just worn out because we woke up and broke camp at 5 CST that morning. So while they went on the second dive I went topside, laid down, and fell asleep for about 25-30 min. Then we started heading back in and I guess I woke up when they started the engines. While I was asleep my dad was nice enough to unhook my gear from my unused tank which I had hooked up after I got back on the boat. Then on the way back home I slept for about 1 1/2 hours. Then when we got home we had an hour to unload, shower and get to church and we made it with time to spare.

Josh :doc:

Not at all what I was hoping to read! My hubbie and two oldest sons (who are newly certified, 12 and 10) are supposed to go to Panama City the first weekend in October. Hopefully Isidore won't head that way and hopefully there will be enough time for the ocean to settle back down!

got4boyz once bubbled...
Not at all what I was hoping to read! My hubbie and two oldest sons (who are newly certified, 12 and 10) are supposed to go to Panama City the first weekend in October. Hopefully Isidore won't head that way and hopefully there will be enough time for the ocean to settle back down!
By this afternoon Isidore will be history in the Panama City area, but Lili is threatening. We have a full weekend scheculed the 5th & 6th - and at current course & speed Lili could have Panama City dead in her sights for the same time.
I am hoping and praying for a miraculous dissipation of Lili.
However, backup plans are prudent.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom