Flower Garden Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thom_Piper

Reaction score
:confused:

I would like to dive the Flower Gardens with either the MV Spree or Fling this October or November. My buddy and I are novice divers and newly certified (this summer in Cayman) but are fit and strong swimmers. I have read that this dive is only for advanced divers but I have also heard from others that novice is fine as long as I will be hones with myself about my abilities, skills etc. Advice?

The flower gardens can be a very challenging trip. I have gone on several where there where rippin currents, and of course the Gulf of Mexico is always unpredictable. Just be honest with yourself about your limitations. A skilled novice can do the dives, but there is no substitute for experience when it comes to making it more enjoyable. You might also check out the Sea Searcher II. It is a little smaller than the Fling and the Spree, but it takes fewer divers and is less crowded.

Pretty rough time for the gulf. When seas are calm and currents light, it's a fairly easy dive as long as you don't mind 80 to 100 ft and no handholding. With typical fall seas, it's probably better for the more experienced. If you wait till next July or August, conditions should be at their peak and you shoud be more comfortable.

I've only done the Gardens twice, but both times were somewhat challenging. Not scary, but the conditions definitely capture your attention. I would wait till you have some more dives under your belt.

If you do go check out the SeaSearcher II. I haven't tried the Spree or Fling, but I can vouch for the crew of the SeaSearcher II. Very laid back atmosphere and they only take 16 divers, not 30, on the same size boat. (you can't use the buoys if your boat is over 100') The owner is an avid diver. About the only rules are 130' max depth, no deco diving and get back to the boat with some air left.

I'll ring in an agreement on what the others have said. You try to sleep on the way out. If its rough thats not the place to be. I essentially work up sea sick, and I wasn't the only one. Boarding the boat in moderate seas takes patience and timing. Experience is a huge help. Flag imitations on the bouy line during the safety stop are different too.

100 miles out isn't the place to try to be macho.

TwoBit

I am a novice diver (20-30 dives) I went while the conditions were about as good as they can be in July and I found the diving to be easy (1-3 ft waves, moderate current). Nothing is going to prepare you for getting on the boat in rough seas except getting on a boat in rough seas. The vis is very good and so even if the current is strong you can tell where you are in reference to the chain. If you are a good swimmer it shouldn't be a problem, you will just burn air faster. I went on the Spree and found the crew and facilities to be excellent. I think we were full, but it didn't feel crowded.

As far as seasickness, less drowsy formula dramamine every 12 hours worked wonders for me - I am very prone to seasickness.

I've been on the Fling about a dozen times, although I haven't gone out with the new owners. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.

Despite having 26 divers (plus DM's) onboard, things never really feel crowded. On my trips, all the diving was well coordinated and efficient, so we didn't spend a lot of time geared up and waiting to get in the water.

If you seach back on the list, you'll find a little write-up I did on diving procedures off the Fling, as well as some recommendations. These haven't likely changed much, but keep in mind that both the Fling and the Spree are under new ownership. (I've heard they have continued putting on great trips.)

I've not been on the Sea Searcher, but I've heard nothing negative. It sounds like a great boat.

Are you too inexperienced? I don't know. I've been on these trips with divers who have had very little OW experience and they've done great. I've been with "old salts" (at least they said they were), who did terrible.

The admonition about diving this time of year is true. As the first "northers" push into the gulf, things can get rough very quickly. That said, I've been out in the winter (shark trips), when the water was glass calm and the currents imperceptible. I've been out in August when we surfed down 15' seas on the way back in to port.

But, August is usually the best, most predictible time to go. A later summer "first trip" would be my recommendation for a novice diver, who is otherwise confident and fit. Barring a depression the gulf, the water is usually very calm. It is certainly very warm.

For experienced divers, I recommend the winter trips. The Gulf can be very rough, but the sight of hundreds of sharks overhead is inspiring. Okay, maybe not "inspiring", but certainly, innervating. (ha!).

On our last winter trip, it got too rough to make the last dive (THAT, my friends, is ROUGH). As we waited onsite a bit to see if the weather changed, we spotted some debris floating by. I couldn't figure out what is was until I saw the rudder pedals and the "N" number. It was the inverted lower hull of a helicopter that went down nearby. There were no survivors. Weather was blamed on the accident. I don't know if that was true, but I couldn't imagine auto-rotating for a water landing in those seas. The rotors would whack the water and the ship would probably flip over very quickly. That was some nasty weather (but, a great trip, even if we only made 4 dives of 7).

Rockhound once bubbled...
I've been on the Fling about a dozen times, although I haven't gone out with the new owners.
Sure you have... the "new owners" are the old crew...
Rick :) :) :)

I've heard that it can be hard to get out to dive, as they cancel often - due to weather. I was told that if your going to be in the area anyway, try & dive. But don't plan this as a dive vacation only because you might not get out. Is that true or just alot of BS?

Is it too difficult to plan for FG "vacations"?

Well, for winter, early spring and fall trips, the odds of a trips "going off" can be quite low. Some winter seasons, not a single trip makes it out. I would not recommend someone plan a trip for the "rough" seasons unless a) their travel time is short b)they are highly flexible and can reschedule.

During the winter, I will book more than one trip, just to increase my odds of making it out. I told Rick the other day that I've only made 2 winter shark trips, after many years of "trying".

Mid to late Summer trips are a little easier and, with a little care, can be planned for the traveling diver. I have met divers from as far away as California who have dived the Gardens. I don't know how flexible their schedules might have been if the trip was unexpectedly canceled, but they told me they came specifically for the diving here.

With a late June to August trip, I will still recommend you buy "changeable" airline tickets and be amenable to sudden changes in your travel plans. I would also suggest you book more than one trip. If the first one "goes", give yourself enough time to find someone to take your place on the second (or simply GO TWICE). If the first one blows out, you still have a good chance of making the second.

I would schedule my arrival for as late as possible on boat departure day, so as to give you time to check before leaving home as to whether or not the trip will go off as planned.

Check the weather, starting the week before departure. In mid to late summer (before September), tropical depressions don't usually form unexpectedly in the the Gulf (oh, but the do, anyway on occasion!) This information will give you a little heads up and prevent any surprises. You can also log onto the NOAA bouy site, which will give you sea conditions all around the area, including those right at the Marine Sanctuaries.

On the day of departure, you should check the bouys and the weather for the Gulf. Around 1pm, or a bit later, you should call the shop or club that booked your trip (at least that was what they used to ask that you do). The trip coordinator will have contacted the dive operator by that time and will have the "GO" or "NO GO" in hand.

You can still show up to find the trip canceled, or you can even go offshore, only to turn back, but such occasions are rare in the summer. If I lived somewhere that required I fly in, I would be tempted to piggyback this trip with a more predictible one to Cozumel. Show up, dive the Gardens, offgas for a day or so, then head south. If the trip cancels, try to arrange it so that you can arrive either arrive early in Cozumel or do a little visiting in Houston (the Space Center, Moody Gardens, or the any of the big Museums would be nice).

I would, however suggest you have some sort of backup plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom