Atomic M1 First Stage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiegoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I bought the Atomic M1 Regulator in October of 2005. For a number of reasons I unfortunately have only 1 dive so far with this reg. It worked great though.

However, I noticed something when I first bought it, and I noticed it again today when I was rearranging my dive gear. There seems to be a small leak of a white, lubricant like substance (my guess is silicone) seeping out (every now and then) from underneath the black band that divides the first stage in half. Now, I know the reg is environmentally sealed, so I was nervous that there could be a problem with the reg. I called the dealer where I purchased the reg and he stated that the material seeping from the the reg was normal. He called it a " crystal lube" which is initially placed into a brand new reg before retail. He stated that after 10 dives or so, this substance should subside and disappear. He stated that as the piston moves in the reg, it forces the excess material out of the small holes underneath the black ring in the center of the reg.

Question. Is this a legitimate statement? If there is someone here that is familiar with this situation provide a better, more detailed answer? Thanks for any and all information.

When in doubt call the Manufacturer.
Atomic Aquatics, Inc.
16742 Burke Lane
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
Phone: (714) 375-1433
Fax: (714) 375-1435

I pulled my B2 out, and there is no lube near or on the black band. It does have 25 dives on it. Hopefully 29 before Feb. So far it is the Love of my underwater life.

I have over 100 dives on my M1; no sign of Christolube yet.

DiegoDiver:
Question. Is this a legitimate statement? If there is someone here that is familiar with this situation provide a better, more detailed answer? Thanks for any and all information.

Yes, it is a legitimate statement. It's called Christo Lube.

Lake Muroc Diver:
I pulled my B2 out, and there is no lube near or on the black band. It does have 25 dives on it. Hopefully 29 before Feb. So far it is the Love of my underwater life.

B2's don't come environmentally sealed so you wouldn't see it unless you get yours sealed.

the M regs are higher o2 compatible (80%?) Christo lube is O2 grease, NOT silicone! I believe (if wrong I know I'll be corrected) that Atomics seal their regs by packing them with grease.

Yeah its Christo Lube ( o2 compatible food grade lubricant). Its normal to see it from time to time leaking out of the 1st stage. THIS IS NORMAL. M1's are the only Atomic Reg. that are all "enivormently sealed". You can get the B2 this way but you have to order it. And boy is it a mess to rebuild.

voodoodiver:
Yeah its Christo Lube ( o2 compatible food grade lubricant). Its normal to see it from time to time leaking out of the 1st stage. THIS IS NORMAL. M1's are the only Atomic Reg. that are all "enivormently sealed". You can get the B2 this way but you have to order it. And boy is it a mess to rebuild.

Thanks for the information. It puts my mind at ease.

Will the seeping of this Christo Lube finally dissipate at some point? Is it just the extra that is oozing out? If it continues, should I worry about have it replaced? Thanks again?

DiegoDiver:
Thanks for the information. It puts my mind at ease.

Will the seeping of this Christo Lube finally dissipate at some point? Is it just the extra that is oozing out? If it continues, should I worry about have it replaced? Thanks again?
It will stop after a few more dives/pressurizations. It is just the extra enviornmental seal (christolube) leaking out, it is common on all M1's. Some dive shops will pressurize the first stages multiple times to remove the excess before giving it to the buyer. Rub the excess christolube on the first stage, it's good for it. Christolube is an expensive lubricant (o2 compatible), don't let it go to waste. You bought a great reg, enjoy it.

Matt

Corigan:
It will stop after a few more dives/pressurizations. It is just the extra enviornmental seal (christolube) leaking out, it is common on all M1's. Some dive shops will pressurize the first stages multiple times to remove the excess before giving it to the buyer. Rub the excess christolube on the first stage, it's good for it. Christolube is an expensive lubricant (o2 compatible), don't let it go to waste. You bought a great reg, enjoy it.

Matt

Matt is completely correct. When the ambient water chamber is filled with the lubricant, a special cap is used to direct the Christolube into the reg. The chamber is filled to its capacity, and the excess exits the reg. As the balanced piston cycles, the interior space changes slightly as the piston moves back and forth. The process forces a small amount out of the exterior seal. Eventually, after a few dives, it should end. Do not pull back the environmental cap, merely wipe the excess lube from the first stage body.

As the reg is serviced in the future, this will once again take place.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Back
Top Bottom