Houston LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all,

My cousin has recently moved to Houston (North East Houston-Spring area she said) and would like to get certified. Anyone have any recommendations for a shop or instructor?

Thanks,

Tom

W.W. Diving in Humble - 281/540-1616 and is an SSI shop. And one of the Sea Sports stores is in that area is a PADI shop...if that matters. I think that's the one ScubaTexasTony uses.

The affiliated agency doesn't matter. Mostly interested in safety conscious instructors, a good level of training, and availability of quality equipment lines at the shop. She's my favorite cousin and is very important to me.

Tom

and several that are not-so-good.

I've had good service and good luck with Sea Sports Scuba. They have multiple locations, so they buy a lot of gear and they often pass the saving along to their customers in the form of regular "sales".

While they're not the only shop to do this, I've found their prices to be very competive. In some cases, they are nearly as cheap as going mail order.

they also have a lot of "socials" each year that are a lot of fun for everyone, including kids and non-divers, like my wife. There is a Halloween pumpkin hunt, a "spring fling" and a couple of other functions scattered throughout the year.

Among my dive gear is an Ikelite 6 cell dive light with a flourescent area light built-in, a 3mm jumpsuit, a slap strap and a knife that I won at events they sponsored. A couple of folks in my old dive club won regulators and bcs at these same events.

I've never taking any courses from them, but I like the instructors I've met and find them less "pushy" overall than some other shops. I also like the convenience of the multiple locations.

What don't I like? MMmmmm...it took them 6 weeks to finish the annual on my Oceanic Delta/Scubapro rig. That's WAY too long. In their defense, I think they would have loaned me a rig if I didn't already have a spare. But it WAS an aggravation. My annuals in the past never took as long, so this was likely a fluke.

I also like Pro Scuba on Westheimer. Henry, the owner, is very nice and very knowledgeable. He may be more expensive due to his small size, but he carries some nice gear and I've been on some of his sponsored dive trips, which were well run.

I've been on trips with his students and they seemed well trained and knowledgeable, even on their first "post cert" dives.

I forgot about Becky, who owns WW Diving in Humble. She is very nice and the shop (if it hasn't moved), has its own indoor pool. This is real convenience.

My only gripe with her was that I sometimes couldn't tell what her hours were and when someone would be in the shop...and, the fact that someone there put a chain around my tank and marred it when they did a VIP. She said they didn't used chain wrenches, but the marks on my tank were very clear.

That was a long time ago though, and I like her and the way she runs the shop, overall.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
The affiliated agency doesn't matter. Mostly interested in safety conscious instructors, a good level of training, and availability of quality equipment lines at the shop. She's my favorite cousin and is very important to me.

Tom

The instructors at W.W. are very good and thorough. I personally know quite a few of their students and they've all been taught well...and thoroughly. Rebecca and Dennis demand quality from their instructors. The run good trips, even if they are a little large for my taste.

The shop has an indoor pool that is available to everyone. It's our 'get wet in the winter' favorite spot! Their policy of letting you try out new gear in the pool is a big plus when shopping around. Their prices are decent and they have monthly sales that can be real bargains. Also nice that they're open on Sundays.

All the Sea Sports store (5) are good. One is off I-45, sorry don't know the address right off, and one is on Kuykendahl. The on on K is one of our favorites and the one on Westeimer is the other, (indoor pool). Good selection of quality merchandise. Prices can be a bit high but they are usually willing to deal when they can, as the store managers can only do so much without permission from the main office.

If she wants info on other Houston shops not in her area, let me know...we've been to all of them!

As far as servicing equipment goes, we've found the same thing to be true at almost every shop we go to. AND the work done was substandard.

After several years of frustration, I finally found a tech who knows his business. David Ballard at KenLee's Aqua Sports (also a gun shop!) David has been repairing scuba gear for over 20 years and still does the repairs for some of the dive shops. He's the only person allowed to touch my stuff.

Bullard...he is the best reg man around. Another instructor(s) are
Roxie & David Consoli with R & D Scuba 10846 westhiemer..Houston,Tx77042 (713) 266-0722

It's hard to beat Seasports Scuba especially the one at Westheimer & Voss.
They have stores all over town includinf one in Spring. So give them a whirl I thank you will like it. If you go t Westeimer see Joe.
Dax=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom