Does anyone wear a plain old watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a computer and a dive watch on when I dive.

The latter as a backup - I set the bezel when beginning my descent.

100M Casio fancy model right now, it even has the date!

Digitals can be hard to read when narced in low light conditons.

My preferred computer is LCD display, but with an anlog section showing tissue group saturation percentages.

Now if they'd just make a nitrox/trimix dive 'puter with the same information intensive "no flip" display as easy to read as the Edge I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

I also have a backup mechanical analog decompression computer I can use too.

FT

I dive with both a computer, a backup computer and a Seiko 200m dive watch.

I have had two Seikos and both were great watches with nary a problem. The first one lacked a ratchet on the bezel, so I bought another with the ratchet, but both still work (the older one is over 20 yrs. old and still works)..

The "new" Seiko is about 15 yrs. old and looks like new. It only needs a battery every 3-5yrs. I wear it every day.

I prefer a dive watch for normal daily wear because they are very rugged.

My former computer kept track of bottom time, but not time of day. Sometimes I want to know what time it is, so I strapped my cheap Timex sports watch to my BC.

The funny thing is, the watch is rated waterproof to 100m or some such thing. But the warranty states that THIS IS NOT A DIVE WATCH, and claims to be invalid if the watch is used for scuba. TIMEX: how do you expect me to get to 100m???

At any rate, it hasn't failed me yet.

Hi FredT, I still use my Edge, I bought in in 86 and have just recently upgraded the software to the newest version 6 and it still works great!!! Plus it's a great self defence weapon=-) It has the best tissue loading graph out there... Joe

My trusty Timex has gone with me on almost every dive -- and has been loaned out to a few people who didn't have a computer. Like others, it is one of the cheap-o ones, I think around $30. However, it is time to get a new strap as the Velcro has about given up the bite.

Margaret

Only $40. Watch, Compass, Chrono, Timer, and Alarm. I recently got the Vytec which automates the safety stop among other things, but I still use the watch as a back up. Plus the compass is accurate.

I use a Citizen Promaster dive watch as a back-up to my dive computer. The watch has Max. depth alarm (adjustable), max. ascent rate alarm, max. time alarm (adjustable), current depth, dive time, and also has a logbook function which records date/time in, date/time out, max. depth, average depth, dive time, and min. temperature. It has US Navy NDL table etched on wristband. It also has both digital and analog regular watch functions and each can be set for different time zones. Another useful tool both in and out of the water.

astrofunk once bubbled...

The funny thing is, the watch is rated waterproof to 100m or some such thing. But the warranty states that THIS IS NOT A DIVE WATCH, and claims to be invalid if the watch is used for scuba. TIMEX: how do you expect me to get to 100m???

Yeah, I wondered that exact same thing myself. My watch is a Timex Reefgear. The watch is rated waterproof to 100m, but the warranty card clearly stated "not to be used for diving". How the hell do they know? And what difference does it make what activity I am doing 100m below the water?

Anyway, this watch is a wonderful, simple little watch. It has a big bezel around the entire watch that rotates. And rotating this bezel changes the mode. So moving from watch to chrono to timer is *really* simple -- just rotate the bezel. A lot easier than trying to push buttons. And the main operation button is a single big button centered on the bottom of the face. Very easy to push.

I wish all watches were so easy to use.

Thx...Doug

It works great, you can even hear the hour chime and alarm underwater :D !!!!

Wildbill

:copper:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom