Abysmal wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Why would it be better to have more air, further away from the center of Gravity? (ie at the top of the wing).

The area is just a little bit larger, and it doesn't seem to bother my trim underwater, but on the surface it seems to get me a little higher out of the water, and in swell a few inches can make things more confortable while waiting for other divers..
but I would definately not recommend them for singles..

Unless money is truly a concern you should have an appropriate selection of wings to use based on your different tank configs.

For many reasons, a wing that is large enough to truly support (heavy) doubles is waaaaay more than you need with a single (unless it is one of those 190cf Bow-shots) and the elbow/shell connection should, for doubles use, be placed in the center of the wing-top so it does not "interfere" with the valves/manifold.

A wing that is advertised as "good for doubles OR singles" is
making compromises. Compromise is bad.

G_M

At the risk of yet another flame, I have the wings and like them just fine. They are well made, tough, kind of minimalist, and they do what they are supposed to do.

Abysmal is the first company to use Balistic proof nylon bags, Halcyon bags are not as strong or durable but they look nice. Halcyon has gone after the sport market single tank bladder. Lets face it folks all the bags are made in the same place and the only difference is the material used. I wouldn't give up my Abysmal double bladder for anything. I have never been more stable in the water until I switched to this BCD. My OMS bag has since dried out cracked and is now used as a liner for the cats litter box.

Technician once bubbled...
Lets face it folks all the bags are made in the same place and the only difference is the material used.
Bzzzzzzzt. Wrong, but thanks for playing. Halcyon has their own manufacturing facility.

Roak

Ballistic Nylon was named "Ballistic" because it is used in conjunction with Kevlar® or Spectra® to make bullet proof vests. Although it is extremely tough, it is not “ballistic proof”.

Any dual bladder design is suspect because it is adding more problems than what it is trying to solve.

Example: The second bladder is to provide backup in case of the primary bladder failure. It solves one problem (that can be solved by other means without extra gear) while adding many.

1&2. The second bladder requires a second power inflator, this is more prone to failure than the bladder, all it takes is some sand. It can fail on or off, so a runaway inflation or failure to work is possible.

3,4&5. A second LP hose w/connection to the 1st stage; another 3 failure points, the o-ring on both ends and the hose.

6. The possibility of task loading, which one do I use for inflation deflation??

There are more but you get the picture (hopefully).

The design(s) of the Halcyon wings are significantly different than the others. I have a few different brands and I will only buy the Halcyon wings in the future.

I must say that you have found the ideal use for the OMS wings.

omar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom