Diving for Big and Tall Guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1:
Well befor you go custom on the wetsuit, check out Akona, They have a 5XL that's pretty nice, and should fit you.

QUOTE]

Yeah...one thing I forgot to mention in my post: I bought an Akona 5XL suit...only 1 MM...for my warm water diving. It BARELY fits...but with a slightly smaller gut, it'd be great. Don't know where you're at...if you're in warm water, that'd be the way to go, rather than custom. If you're in cold water...I'd go custom.

My 2 cents...again...

huskychemist:
Yeah...one thing I forgot to mention in my post: I bought an Akona 5XL suit...only 1 MM...for my warm water diving. It BARELY fits...but with a slightly smaller gut, it'd be great. Don't know where you're at...if you're in warm water, that'd be the way to go, rather than custom. If you're in cold water...I'd go custom.
My 2 cents...again...

Thanks for chiming in. I'll have to go look at that too. Like I said, a 3X 3MM fits me, but I think I might be stretching it out to 2MM :D
Thanks
Jason

I fully understand the large diver problem as do several of my dive buddies. I also agree that a check out by your physician is imperative. As for equipment, I personally use a Henderson Hyperstretch 5 ml suit and it does a good job for me. I prefer the Zeagle tech BC as it has two waist straps and NO cumberbund it stays where I want it better. I use a steel 100 and in salt water need to add another 26 lbs of lead. I had Zeagle make me a set of trim pouches that fit the UPPER tank strap and carry 1/3 of my weight in those which better distributes the weight for my needs.(You can of course turn the standard trim pouches upside down, but it is a lot easier to add or remove weight with the custom units.) The bottom line is if I waited until I lost a bunch of weight I'd be missing a lot of diving!

You should be able to fit nicly in a 4x or 5x suit, you should be able to find 7mm for $169 and 3mm for $139. Custom will add about $100. As far as BCD I would recomend either a Dive Rite Transpac or a backplate becuase of nearly infinate adjustablility.

I'm 300 lbs. Good BCD Oceanic probe 2XL. I don't think off the rack will work for wet suit. If it don't Liquid Fit makes good custom wet suits, mine fits perfect. But close to $500 with wrist and ankle zippers for a full 5 mil and 5mil shorty very easy to get on and off.

Thank you so much for the great advice and feedback. This is a great forum. Rob

Im in that area, another inch but a few pounds less. I got an AKONA wetsuit. 4-5X I think. The sleeves are about 4 inches too long. Been threatening since I got it, to have it trimmed but now, im trying to work into a drysuit.

I use a Genesis RECON XL BC and Steel 120's, cause I dont wannna be the first one outta the water.

My advice and one that will probably be repeated many times here.............try on as many items as you possibly can. Even if it means visiting multiple stores. Do not buy anything off the net that you have not tried on yet.

Welcome to the board!! Fill out your info/bio so we can know more about you

I am a big guy as well. I have found the BP/W set up the most comfortable, adjustable, trimable, and easiest to fit to my body type. I use a DR transplate and recwing for additiional lift. If I were looking I would consider DSS set up over DR set up because I have found that the extra lift is not necessary. Don't get me wrong, I love my rig, but would consider at least a different wing if I had the opportunity to do it all over again.

Buoyant1:
Well befor you go custom on the wetsuit, check out Akona, They have a 5XL that's pretty nice, and should fit you.

I'm 6' 290 with a 46" waist.

Leisure Pro has them fairly cheap (3mm & 7mm) I ordered a 4x and a 5x and felt better in the 5 (felt like the stay puft marshmallow man in the 4) so I just returned the 4, no questions asked!

I use an Aeris Atmos XT BC and it's more than adequate!

GO check stock stuff out before you go with custom!!!

I second this info. I am 5' 11" and 295 and use either a 4X or 5X Akona depending on thickness. As you lose weight the price of Akona can allow you to keep fitted as you go down in weight. I use an Aqualung Balance in XL. It fits well. The Aeris Reef Rider also fits well. Either of these are Back Inflate.

I am 6'2" and weigh in at 230lbs. My problem comes after a season of strength training, my quads (thighs) wont fit in most wetsuits without stretching and becoming to tight to be comfortable. Another point of discomfort is the neckband. I have a rather large neck and most suits tend to feel as if they are choking me. Custom was the answer for me and will probably be better for you. If it doesn't fit well and is uncomfortable, that will make for a bad dive, and we don't want that.

I use a 2x BC that seems to fit well. A back-plate style works well. I have one of those as well as a Oceanic Chute I. It is a little heavier duty than the Chute II or III.

Steel 120's will help with the buoyancy, but you will hate toting them to a dive spot if you have to walk any at all. I would suggest a weight belt that holds "soft" weights and has several pockets. This will allow you to ditch a little weight at a time without dropping all of your weight and is easier to carry if you have to walk. IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom