Bonaire-- 3mm wetsuit or 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove all week 4 dives a day in a 3 mil. I got a little bit chilled for a few minutes in my very last night dive while there so as far as I am concerned the 3 mil was great. I did bring a skin just in case to wear under the suit but I never needed it. If you chill easily you can always bring a core warmer type piece or a vest as backup but I doubt you will need it. Can't hurt to throw a hood in just in case and those smaller pieces won't take up much room.

tedtim:
We are traveling to Bonaire from Feb 18 - Mar 4. My wife should make it to #100. What are the rumors about proper attire that you have heard? If they have anything to do with a good dunking in a bath tub full of ice water..............

We will be going for the same dates, if you would like to meet up for a dive, lunch, ect PM me.

It is my understanding that your 100th dive is supposed to be in your birthday suit. The Sound would be terrifingly cold and in another post on this subject Rick Inman warned of divers feeding the wolf eels hot dogs,Yikes!!!

Dan

I think you'll be fine in your 3 mil.

like to add my vote to the 3 mil

you should be very comfortable

Robtjm,

Everyone has different tolerances for cold and for cold water. No one can answer for you what is appropriate. Look at what the average temperatures will be, and think about what wetsuits you have worn in similar temperatures, and how comfortable you were.

I wore my 1/2 mm full suit (sunblock - coral protection) while I was in Bonaire (84 - 85 degrees), and it was fine, but then I don't use my 3mm until the water gets below about 73 degrees. Other people there were wearing 3mm suits with hooded vests etc. To each his/her own.

Remember, ITS NOT A COMPETITION. The only person that loses is the one that wears the wrong thing based on pressure from others, and suffers for it.

Wish I was going to be there with you,

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom