What To Do On Truk/chuuk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a good place to hang out, discuss, argue, etc. :D

Good luck exploring...

:bandit_2: don

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

You should have no problem on the Odyssey if you have your Nitrox ticket. They will give you 30% as standard fill, but will customise on request.

Hope you have experienced clientele aboard for the week. If not you may not get to see the SF Maru.

Be sure to get the diveguide to show you the engine room resident in the Yamagiri.

OHH!! And say hello to R2D2 for me!!!

Happy Diving,

Seadeuce.

PS You made the right choice with the Odyssey. By week's end you will have enough memories to fill your day at the BL.

Seadeuce:
You should have no problem on the Odyssey if you have your Nitrox ticket. They will give you 30% as standard fill, but will customise on request.

Hope you have experienced clientele aboard for the week. If not you may not get to see the SF Maru.

Be sure to get the diveguide to show you the engine room resident in the Yamagiri.

OHH!! And say hello to R2D2 for me!!!

Happy Diving,

Seadeuce.

PS You made the right choice with the Odyssey. By week's end you will have enough memories to fill your day at the BL.

Thats what I love about the Thorfinn and immediately put the odyssey on a my only if I have to list, not having to worry about the skills of other divers..I have gone on trips where I was either the only one with a guide or 1 or 2 other divers at most, while the rest of the boat did the recreationsl thing..The odyssey is a nice boat, but your too limited by the clientel on board at the time..

Scubakevdm:
Could you talk about that a little bit? I like the sound of it. How'd you manage?[/QUOT

I got a room at Island hotel across the street from the Truk stop and a touch further from Weno centre. I went to the few places that rented appartments, Kurassa apts. and another one I can't remember the name of that was up near the gov't offices(turn right at the power plant) they had air conditioning and were out of town. Kurassa had a spot but I ended up staying with a couple of local cousins who had a place. It was spartan but was great, the family showed up to meet me who lived on Fefan and a teenage girl stayed to help clean and did laundry! They were down by the Blue lagoon hotel on the far side from town. The place is so small it didn't take long for word to get out that I was looking for a room. Sort of fluked into it, but had a blast both diving and getting to know the locals!! Maybe try tourist board, Lonely planettravel books...or some such beast there by email to see what apts. are available or home stays. Maybe one of the smaller hotels will give a break on a month stay. Good luck!!

I did the same on Palau where we got an apartment for 1 month- 2 bedroom, air con kitchen with basic dishes, pots for I believe 6-650us. The place had a pull out couch so if you have some folks that can go at the same time you can save alot of cash and spend it on diving!!

Sunshine22:
I The other poster mentioned a bar. This is down by the water - you can't miss it. It opens around 2ish or 3ish, I forget. I was down there at a table for a while before it opened just writing some memories down. Its all outdoors. There you can see them preparing the Odyssey for the next group and you'll see the day trip divers coming back (thanking your lucky stars that you had the Odyssey). Its interesting people watching. By 5PM the bar area is mobbed and fun! We went to dinner at 6, finished at 9, then went for a nap until 10:30. The Odyssey crew will come back to the hotel to take you to the airport at around 11:30.

Be careful if you hang out at the beach bar!! They make some wicked great tasting drinks for only $6. Wicked because im most of them she will pour 4 or 5 shots of booze and a little soda for color. More than three of these and your wait at the airport at 2:30 am for your flight back to Guam will be hell.

I did Truk last year with Ron Benson (www.goiungunder.net) at the BL. We worked together to ship stages, helium, and Sonolime over. We had a great time. Did 250+ on the outer reef and 200+ shipwreck penatration (3 decks down).

Ron has 2 openings for a trip this March (most going are rebreathers). We have a ship somewhere in the South Pacific with 600 CF of helium, 20+ more stages and almost 1,000 lbs of Sofnolime traveling to Chuuk.

We did the trip to Moen mentioned earlier with a local guide and it was well worth the time and money. It seems foolish to me not to get out and meet the locals and understand their lifestyle. The world is becoming homgenized and these opportunities becoming more rare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom