Not sure where to post this - which dive planner software do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to recal a poll done on software choices a while ago, either on here or maybe on TDS. From memory VPlanner was definitely the most widely used software.

wedivebc:
I believe Mark is in litigation with Bruce Wienke over this but it seems a little ridiculous to me. Simce Mark Elyatt was the first diver to go to 313m using software that had never been emperically tested to that depth and then complain when it doesn't work properly is putting way too much expectation on something with too many unknowns.
Those of us who dive deep (but less than 313m) have used and trusted RGBM (gap) and VPM (v-planner) with out any difficulties find this software to be very solid and trustworthy. Just because Mark Ellyat had trouble with the deco schedule provided by software that was never intended nor tested for his purposes does not make the software any less valid.

He didn't actually use the RGBM for his 313 meter dive - It was a test dive to 170 meters, with the specific intention of testing the algorithm where it all went horribly wrong. I think his regular deco algorithm gave him 120 minutes at 6 meters or so, whilst the RGBM gave him around 60. (If memory serves)

I think Mark's point was exactly that the software was never tested - That although the algorithm worked in theory, the manufacturer relied on divers (us) to do the validation of the algorithm; and if it didn't work (As Mark found) it is us that gamble with disability and death.

It is a different story altogether that we know far too little about the physiological impact of sub 150meter dives. I think stats have shown that on dives deeper than 150 meters, it seems a bit random whether divers get DCI, even following the old algorithms. I expect the body simply starts absorbing inert gasses differently once the atmospheric pressure starts reaching 15-16 ATM.

Anyway, Mark's software isn't another deco planner, it simply validates the plan, and highlights where it's cutting deco a bit short.

Guys,
There are so many software out there, but i think we should decide on the deco model rather than the software.....
so you guys who are experts can you please advise us newbies on models that work for the below depths
0 - 50 msw
50 - 100 msw
100 - 150 msw
150 - 200 msw
200 +
i guess after that we decide on the models we can decide on the sofware

I've used v planner, voyager, and the new nautilus program. I like v planner the best for ease of use, but all have thier positives and negatives.

Brain v1.0 running Ratio Deco

JimC:
Brain v1.0 running Ratio Deco
Shhhhhhhhhh... heresy :wink:

artw:
I tried that too Jim but it kept crashing
Thats because you just installed girlfriend 1.5

I use V-planner (and select VPM-B). I find it nice and easy to use.

Whoever mentioned Mark Elyatt above id be a bit dubious on his views, he's be bent more times than an olympic gymnast INCLUDING his record setting dives so his alternations to decompression schedules arent exactly a great idea unless you have a full in water recompression safety team,helicopter and chamber standing by.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom