What To Do On Truk/chuuk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Mike is near the end of his 3 year and JJ I don't know.

Thanks To All For Your Ideas On What To Do With My Shore Time On Truk Before The Red Eye Back To Gaum.
Any Info About Dive Profiles And What Amount Of Penatration Is Allowed. I'm Adv O/w (175 Dives)and A Couple Of Cave Dives In Mexico
(no Cert Though) I've Read Only About The Style On The Throfinn (pretty Loose It Seems) I Would Enjoy Any Personal Storys. Thanks, Slammer

The deepest wreck we did was the San Francisco. It's about 170' to the deck. You will be doing deco dives in Truk, but the DMs watch you pretty close.

Yes, I talked to a couple from Vancouver that did so only because the crew made them feel so comfortable. You will start out with a couple of shallow wrecks and they will gauge your ability. There were no beginners in the group I saw come off. So, yes you will be able to dive beyond the limits if you're a good diver and you want to. As a disclaimer, I have to add that I am reporting the facts only, not recommending any paricular course of action.
Hope that helps, Dennis.

Diver Dennis:
Yes, I talked to a couple from Vancouver that did so only because the crew made them feel so comfortable. You will start out with a couple of shallow wrecks and they will gauge your ability. There were no beginners in the group I saw come off. So, yes you will be able to dive beyond the limits if you're a good diver and you want to. As a diclaimer, I have to add that I am reporting the facts only, not recommending any paricular course of action.
Hope that helps, Dennis.
I GOT YA, THANKS MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT. SLAMMER

When I was there the liveaboards did not do the deep wrecks because of the # of dives per day, but this might have changed. I rented an apartment and was there for 2 months of beautiful diving. The island is only 7 square miles so one can walk pretty much everywhere... Mt. Tonaachau is a good hike, civil action team base is on the way up, Nefo cave has a huge ship's gun still inside, great view of town and partialy sunken ships off shore. A snorkel out to the half sunken ships is also a good time waster. I got in the water towards the B.Lagoon from Truk Stop, there was a channel where a group of fair sized rays hung out ~7m deep. If you walk from Blue Lagoon to Xavier school, it is shorter than from town. Those should keep ya busy!

slammer:
I'm Going To Truk And Diving With Odyssy Live Aboard And On Departure Day The Plane Dosn't Leave Untill 2:30 Am. Has Anyone Found A Good Bet For Filling Up You Time. The Blue Lagoon Hotel Has Mixed Reviews. Thanks Slammer

I usually grab a room at the truk stop.. relax, a bit, grab dinner and take a nap before departing for the airport.. I usually go with the Thorfinn, and they set the reservation for you (not just the truk stop).. It works out well.. BTW the Thorfinn doest kick you off until after they have given you lunch.. usually by 2pm...

Back
Top Bottom