Which brand of steel cylinder / tank should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, no doubt Brad would make the argument that you shouldn't be deep diving on single tanks. Whatever. I'm taking my pony on ALL dives because it's a good idea for all the reasons Nobends states, and it doesn't take up much room. I will however try the stage bottle method of carrying it, although I've never had a problem with entanglement with my pony OR main tank, and I dive in kelp all the time. As for it being too much drag, it's gonna cause drag whether it's hanging as a stage or strapped to your back, so what's the point? A couple of square inches of extra frontal area? Maybe? If the eggheads want to do that bit of math, be my guest.
And finally, as for only doing dives where you can't get out of trouble without the aid of a pony bottle: What the h*ll kind of dives are those exactly? Do they involve chlorine?
And that statement coming from a person who knows the value of backup gear. Do I want to get out of trouble PERIOD, or do I want to get out of trouble with some degree of control and comfort?
Neil

Because I am aware of my air consumption rate and I am aware of my bottom time I will know if the gauge is stuck long before I would get to that point. As soon as I am aware that I have broken gear I quit, period. Also because of proper planning I would have headed back to the boat or shore before I got to the 1000 psi point and then the OOA situation. In addition because this is single tank diving I would not have a deco obligation and could head to the surface if needed BUT if this extremely rare event did occur I would breath off of my buddy.

Any recreational dive (single tank) is the type that you can get out of without a pony. If you need redunancy get a H-valve.
Pony tanks are idiocy.

Brad

Originally posted by Atomox

Any recreational dive (single tank) is the type that you can get out of without a pony. If you need redunancy get a H-valve.
Pony tanks are idiocy.

Brad [/B]

Brad said it, therefore it must be true! I've been teaching scuba for all these years now, and I messed up on the definition of a recreational dive!! My God, they're all going to die!! Hey, bring those cards back!!
:)

Why is it idiocy to have a redundant air source even on shallowish recreational dives. Calling it idiocy implies that it is dangerous in some way. Please clarify.
Okay, okay, this is a kinder, gentler message board. You and I and some others have different opinions, but IDIOCY is a bit strong, isn't it? Go diving, have fun.

Neil

If my pony got tangled or caught up?

Well im sorry but theres very little chance at all of that happening if its on my back attached to a single tank. Therefore wether it is steel in this situation makes no odds.

"Your buddy is your redundant air source" are you joking Don? i hope so. A good rule is not to rely upon anyone but yourself. Your buddy is there as a last resort not as your redundant air supply...sheesh.

"Pony tanks are idiocy" remember atomox thats just your opinion. Especially since the term "technical diving" is a non exact term i have to assume that you are including wreck diving (above the 40metres) as "recreational diving". Nevertheless idiocy is an silly word to use against pony bottles....which have probably saved many lives no-doubt.

Heh all i wanted was opionions on what brand of steel tank to buy : /

I guess the translation from Atomox is that if you're not 100% hard core DIR then you are an idiot ;-)

Anyway -- each diver goes through a slow evolution during their diving life...first we learn the basics during our OW course and subsequent first OW dives. As we gain more experience, our diving style and gear configuration continues to evolve as we gain experience and are exposed to other more experienced divers. We figure out what works and what doesn't. What works well for one diver may be overkill or illogical for another.

We all benefit (especially a newbie like me) from the experience and knowledge of more experienced divers. What isn't constructive is harsh criticism of a particular gear config or technique.

it is possible to be "self-reliant" (all the equipment you
need is carried by you, accessible by you, usable by you)
and at the same time consider your buddy your MOST important "piece of equipment". If you make a poor choice in buddy you have indeed made a poor "equipment" choice.
Sometimes the best piece of gear to have when the sh** hits the fan is another diver that can help out or simply be a re-assuring presence while you resolve the situation.

Personally speaking I no longer carry a pony. I carry either
doubles OR a large single with an "H" valve (yes, it would
be nice to have multiple sets of various size doubles. How-
ever I would need to convince my wife ;-) and if i am
"carrying a pony" it is a "deco" bottle with 50% O2.

When I did carry a pony it was slung as a "stage" bottle
so that I had complete access to it at all times and could
hand it off to another diver OR jetison (sp?) it if necessary.

Do I dive solo? Yes (but less and less frequently). Do I prefer to dive with a buddy? Absolutely.

an "H" (or "Y") valve is dual-outlets on one valve. Each
outlet has its own on/off.

advantage:

you can utilize two seperate regulators and in event of a
malfunction, shut the malfuntioning reg down yet still have
a functional backup.

the package is "smaller" than all but the smallest doubles.

dis-advantages:

If the burst disk blows out it is a moot point to have two
outlets because the gas never gets there. It is bleeding out
the burst burst-disk. therefore there are many that believe
and "H" valve is a poor substitute for the best redundancy:
DOUBLES.

The controls are not always easy to access AND you might
find that one of the outlets is not ideally located in terms
of hose routing.

If i COULD I'd set myself up with about 6 set of doubles
starting with twin slim-72s or so and all the way up to
95s or 104s.

what might be interesting is a "T" valve: a dual outlet that had both outlets vertically oriented along the same plane with the valve controls on the ends ala a dual-iso-manifold.

Is there a reason for the stage bottle being slung on the left side? Is it because a cannister light would be on the right?I don't carry a cannister light and it seems that the right side would be more practical.My computer is at my left side and compass on retractor at left shoulder D-ring.Or is it going to interfere with the octo on the right?
I'm trying to picture it.:confused:

Thanks, Tavi

Neil said it therefore it must be true! Give me a break. Try some reasoned argument. I told you that the example that was used to support the use a pony was unrealistic and pointed out a number of reasonable alternatives that any beginning recreational diver can use. The use of a pony requires unnecessary task loading and additional gear. Mounting the pony on the back is the equivalent of doubles, with extra gear. The most glaring is how and where do you mount the SPG?

Large Diver wrote >
“I guess the translation from Atomox is that if you're not 100% hard core DIR then you are an idiot “

Well if the shoe fits ... What I said was the use of ponies is idiocy….. Give me a valid reason why they are a good idea. Not a guess that they may have saved lives when proper planning would have achieved the same result.

Large Diver also wrote >
“We all benefit (especially a newbie like me) from the experience and knowledge of more experienced divers. What isn't constructive is harsh criticism of a particular gear config or technique or name calling. “

I disagree, criticism of a gear configuration or technique will cause one to examine the underpinnings of said configuration in a critical manner. What isn’t constructive is a bullsh*t statement such as ones you would hear from Non-DIR Divers.

brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom