Best Vis in Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Zebra Mussels are now in the Rideau system so it's only a matter of time before they are in the Ottawa, although I have been told they are already there. Have you noticed they are dying off in the St. Lawrence?

fredk once bubbled...
The Zebra Mussels are now in the Rideau system so it's only a matter of time before they are in the Ottawa, although I have been told they are already there. Have you noticed they are dying off in the St. Lawrence?

I have heard that they are dying off, much for the same reason China has implimented the one child rule......too many for the available food <?>....Don't know how true this really is....any of those U/W biologists around that could tell us.....???????

Inquiring minds want to know ????????????????

fredk once bubbled...

Yes, they are dieing off. Now we are getting fresh water sponge. Call it a finer filter, they will clean up the water even more. Ofcourse, same deal as the mussels, they will also coat every inch of the damn place.

The St. Lawrence is getting better and better - when do the sharks arrive? Just kidding!!
Seriously, I enjoy seeing the sponges. Do they disturb other life in the river (besides Jim C)?

The Zebra mussel populations do tend to settle at a density lower than their maximum after colonization. Decreased resource levels (food, etc) are often the most visible reason, although localized reductions can occur for a wide variety of reasons (local toxic accumulation, lack of oxygen, sedimentation, predation, etc). There are actually quite a few predators of zebra mussels: many diving ducks, crayfish, muskrats, fish, etc

As per the sponges. Many of the species are native to the area. Some researchers have suggested that the increased clarity of the water has created more hospitable growth conditions....i.e. the sponges are no longer being smothered by particulate matter in the water. So, we are now seeing an abundance of previously less common freshwater sponges.

Zebra mussels may create phenominal visibility, but we still don't know the final cost.

bio guy once bubbled...

Zebra mussels may create phenominal visibility, but we still don't know the final cost. [/B]

I understand from DiveDude that the mussels are starting to cause the collapse of some of the wrecks due to the weight of the mussells....................perhaps althpugh we can actually see the wrecks cause of the mussells, we may not have any wrecks to see................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom