LDS Bashers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is interesting to note that PADI is now offering a couple of classes online. I think this is a signal of their realization that more and more divers are looking to the internet as an alternative to classroom training. Online training makes sense for a lot of reasons, especially for those divers that don't work 8am to 5pm jobs.

I took the PADI online Nitrox class, as I have a had time being at my LDS for more than about 15 minutes. The owners keep a couple of cats at the shop and they really bother my allergies when I am in there for a prolonged period of time. The classroom portion of my OW class just about killed and I was a wheezing/sneezing mess when I got out of there each day.

Swan1172:
It is interesting to note that PADI is now offering a couple of classes online. I think this is a signal of their realization that more and more divers are looking to the internet as an alternative to classroom training. Online training makes sense for a lot of reasons, especially for those divers that don't work 8am to 5pm jobs.

I took the PADI online Nitrox class, as I have a had time being at my LDS for more than about 15 minutes. The owners keep a couple of cats at the shop and they really bother my allergies when I am in there for a prolonged period of time. The classroom portion of my OW class just about killed and I was a wheezing/sneezing mess when I got out of there each day.

PADI has just sent email to the IRRC's announcing that they have closed down their on-line elearning program. They are giving customers until June of next year to complete any courses purchased. In the future, all training will be through the traditional channels. Just for you info....

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

I can't imagine the potential legal issues an agency might have certifying students online.

But PADI saw it as a bad idea and dropped it like a hot rock.

Al Mialkovsky:
I can't imagine the potential legal issues an agency might have certifying students online.

But PADI saw it as a bad idea and dropped it like a hot rock.

I will give PADI the benefit of doubt and assume that they had explored the legal implications of online training before they launched their program. Besides, only the book portion of the training was done online, with final certification being issued by the dive shop. For example, you took the Nitrox course online, took an online comprehension test, and then went to your local LDS for instruction on using an oxygen analyzer to check the mix. Once that was completed, you got a c-card for 32% Nitrox. If you wanted a 36% card, you needed to do the two check-out dives.

My guess is that it was not as well received as they thought, and that is why they decided to drop it. I would also guess that the LDS's were not very keen on the idea and hassled a lot of students who chose this route. I guess I will find out, as I have finished the book portion of the Nitrox class, but still need to schedule time at my LDS for the hands-on portion.

In the past couple of years many dual agency shops started inssuing certs in agencies other than PADI. PADI is making necessary changes I'm sure.

mnj1233:
With all due respect not all LDS's are ALLOWED to sell their product on-line per their dealer agreement. Handcuffed it seems. I see both sides. P.S. Just edited grammatical errors
That is my biggest problem is with suppliers/manufactures. The industry(as I pointed out a long time ago) is still arrogant and are cutting their own throats as well as the dive shops by not alowing online sales to the dive center.

I agree that most people are not aware of the expense of running your own business.

Ron

If you care about supporting your Local Dive Shope, or local coffee shops, or local eateries, or local clothing shops, SUPPORT them! I understand that there are many many many items available for WAY cheaper online, but c'mon people! Don't we CARE about more than the cash anymore? It is wise for a shop these days to also sell online, but it sucks that they'd even have to just to pay bills. It's worth the extra bit of cash (that most people are spending on a hobby anyway) to support their neighborhoods and neighbors, to have the peace of mind in knowing you did something valuable today, in knowing that you paid someone to grow your community for you. It's about helping eachother out! So what, call it a nieghborly tax and hand over the cash for the good of all wo-mankind!!

Swan1172:
I will give PADI the benefit of doubt and assume that they had explored the legal implications of online training before they launched their program. Besides, only the book portion of the training was done online, with final certification being issued by the dive shop. For example, you took the Nitrox course online, took an online comprehension test, and then went to your local LDS for instruction on using an oxygen analyzer to check the mix. Once that was completed, you got a c-card for 32% Nitrox. If you wanted a 36% card, you needed to do the two check-out dives.

My guess is that it was not as well received as they thought, and that is why they decided to drop it. I would also guess that the LDS's were not very keen on the idea and hassled a lot of students who chose this route. I guess I will find out, as I have finished the book portion of the Nitrox class, but still need to schedule time at my LDS for the hands-on portion.

Padi doens't have a 32% card. They have a up to 40% card. The requirement for the Nitrox cert requires you to go to your LDS to learn how to check your own mix and do your two checkout dives.

You can do the discover nitrox program with is basically just an adventure dive which might be what your talking about. You still have to do one dive on 32% for that though. Afterwards however you cannot dive on nitrox unless you complete the actual specialty or you dive with an instructor and then only on 32%. There isn't a card for that though.

As for the online training. There is nothing on the PADI site that I could find that they dropped anything. They only launched it on October 19th of this year and they have no release of any type that is announcing it as ending. They also have no indication of it ending when you go to the portion of the site for the elearning.

Scubaliz:
If you care about supporting your Local Dive Shope, or local coffee shops, or local eateries, or local clothing shops, SUPPORT them! I understand that there are many many many items available for WAY cheaper online, but c'mon people! Don't we CARE about more than the cash anymore? It is wise for a shop these days to also sell online, but it sucks that they'd even have to just to pay bills. It's worth the extra bit of cash (that most people are spending on a hobby anyway) to support their neighborhoods and neighbors, to have the peace of mind in knowing you did something valuable today, in knowing that you paid someone to grow your community for you. It's about helping eachother out! So what, call it a nieghborly tax and hand over the cash for the good of all wo-mankind!!

Spoken like a shop owner. That "we CARE about more than cash" is a two way street. I know many dive shops in my area aren't "Just paying the bills" and could cut their prices quite a bit and still not be "just paying the bills". That is the issue.

But if you want to give me 2-3 times what a new piece of equipment is worth to support my neighborhood then I will gladly take it and buy the item for you at a huge savings and have it sent to you. Of course you won't get any better service from me for it. Just a thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom