What got you started in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The love for the ocean since I was baby (at least that's what my mom keeps telling me). Anyway, I got certified when I turned 12 which at the time was Padi's age requirement. Padi since then has changed it to 10, which if I was able to do it at 10 I would have.

In 1999 my (then) girlfriend and I moved from Baltimore, MD to Tampa, FL. The day we moved into our new apartment complex I went out to find a local grocery store. I found a store in a strip mall about a mile from our house and right next to it was a Dive Shop with a huge ad in the window: "Learn To Dive Only $99"

I thought that since I lived in Florida it might be cool to dive. I threw the idea at my girlfriend and we signed up for classes that night. 6 years, multiple classes and over 1000 dives later it looks as though I may like this diving thing.

When I was a kid I used to have dreams about breathing underwater, I was never crazy about the sea or anything but it definitely felt natural to do it once I did a discover scuba course. I loved it immediately and felt at home under the water. Nothing could stop me from that moment.

Growing up watching cousteau and Sea hunt how could you not get into diving. I started with a try scuba in the Red sea when I was 11. Then when I went to college I took my first OW class. I could finally afford it, and the equiptment. 2 years later I was a Dive master and the rest is history.

A 20th wedding anniversary trip to Maui and going on a snorkeling trip to Molokini.

Came back and joined the dive club at work and signed up for a OW class they were hosting!!

I sure would love to get back to Maui now that I can dive!!

Jeff

When I was 12, I bought a pair of black full foot fins. I used them at a pool party, and left marks all over the pool. The owner of the pool called my parents, and demanded that I clean the pool. I tried, but wasn't making much progress until one of my fathers co-worker loaned me his scuba tank & reg. (this was in 1964) I scrubbed the bottom of the pool with steel wool pads, and loved it. This wasn't punishment, this was a treat.

I didn't think much more about it until I snorkled while on a cruise in 2000. Wanted, no, had to see more. Been hooked since. (took a 2 year break 2003 thru 2004 - big mistake. Could be much farther along than I am now)

The very very short version: The tsunami hit less than a week before my wedding - honeymoon was supposed to be to Thailand. My now-husband and I changed our honeymoon to a Caribbean Cruise w/ stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya. After snorkeling in Cozumel I knew that I was meant to dive and had just never realized it before.

SeaHunt was a bit before my time, but the Snorks was my favorite Saturday Morning Cartoon - http://www.angelfire.com/me2/80sChild/snorks.html - I guess the writing was on the wall....

Sea Hunt and Jaques Cousteau were my inspiration along with a best friend whose parents were certified divers and took me to Crystal River to see the Manatees. I like it, I love it, and want some more of it.

a female friend and i went on a cruise together to catalina and mexico and while on catalina island we went snorkling, and when we got back she asked me to get dive cert with her and ,ta da, we both were divers and dive buddies from there!!! love it all of the way down!!!!!:D

When I was a kid I watched Jaques Cousteau every week, Snorkled all summer long and always enjoyed the water. Wanted to get certified when I was younger but never got around to it got busy with college, my own kids and later at 35 got certified with my wife. Have been diving every chance I get since. Even got my boys certified so now my whole family dives except my 7 year old daughter.

Back
Top Bottom