Caves in Roatan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octgal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know if there are any caves in Roatan? I leave sunday for florida btw for my cave intro and very nervous!!!!

its all good...being nervous will make me a safer cave diver right?????? at least that is what i am telling myself:D

i saw some cavern pics from Roatan, and wondered what the cave status is for that area, as i plan on going in Jan

Caver95:
you better be sure you pass your class before you set up any cave trips. :wink:

well my dear you will be the first to know if that happens! :wink:

octgal:
Anyone know if there are any caves in Roatan?
i saw some cavern pics from Roatan, and wondered what the cave status is for that area, as i plan on going in Jan

The are no shallow caves in Roatan. Some overhead environments exist.

I would imagine (now I'm shaky on the nomenclature here) that there are some cave like passages at extreme depth, where that second sand layer and mushroom shaped ledge rings the island. (The ancient sea level)

Dunno.

I used to cave dive in the 70's.

I quit.

I got older as a result.

octgal:
I leave sunday for florida btw for my cave intro and very nervous!!!!
Good luck on your class Octgal.

:sgrin: You'll need it... :sgrin:

Jason B:
Good luck on your class Octgal.

:sgrin: You'll need it... :sgrin:

LOL!!! thanks Jason!! I'm very nervous already!! and stressed.

i'm sure i'll be ok

and thanks Roatanman for your input!

There are a few o/h environments - at Spooky Channel and at Bear's Den on the north coast. Bear's Den is a small cavern. Last time I was there, I did see some people running cave lines at Spooky Channel, so there may be some scope there (they may just have been training)

My buddy Ryan is on a cave course in FL this weekend, almost went myself. You may meet him - say Hi for me and good luck!

outback:
There are a few o/h environments - at Spooky Channel and at Bear's Den on the north coast. Bear's Den is a small cavern. Last time I was there, I did see some people running cave lines at Spooky Channel, so there may be some scope there (they may just have been training)

My buddy Ryan is on a cave course in FL this weekend, almost went myself. You may meet him - say Hi for me and good luck!
thanks for the info!! I'll be sure to say hi to Ryan from Outback for yeah if i see him.:wink:

Hey, break a fin in florida... Did not hear of any caves when I was there but was not really looking! I would have to say the diving is set up for recreational/tourist type diving. The closest I found to caves was Spooky channel which is really a cut in the reef that is attached at the top or overlaps, was about 30m deep with the walls getting wider as you decended, about 10m or so. Was a really fun night dive from shore. Huge white moray... I stayed at a divehotel that was right at the channel and cannot remember the name. We had some problems with the rooms but all else was good. Booked it through an agent and they did not get the accomodations we wanted and ended up with a room that ajoined the dinning room! laying in bed with folks eating right outside your window... They have little chalets on the beach that we asked for and told ya ya no problem by the agent..... one of those make the sale and blame it on the hotel types... again shop, boats and staff were good.

scubatwinned:
Booked it through an agent and they did not get the accomodations we wanted and ended up with a room that ajoined the dinning room! laying in bed with folks eating right outside your window... ......

LOL that would suck! haha I'm only going for the diving and pretty easy going about everything else. I'll be happy with whatever, just want to DIVE:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom