Yet another drying rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just finished my drying rack and thought I would share. The main constraint was that it be indoors and unobtrusive.

I made it of 1 1/4" and 1" PVC and designed it to fold down and tuck underneath the futon when not in use. It holds 2 full sets of gear (BCDs, regs, 7mm farmer johns and assorted accessories).

Yes. In the configuration shown in the pictures, everything was wet when hung. The folding arm is secured to the base with a 1/2" bolt. The arm itself is telescoping for smaller storage with 1 1/4" PVC at the base (and on the outside) with 1" PVC sliding up. Actually, I think the telescoping part may contribute to the arm strength because the 1" pipe fits very nicely inside the 1 1/4" so when the arm bends under load, it's really distributed across both pipe walls.

The only thing that I would change if I did this again is instead of having one support beam in the middle, to have 2 closer to teh sides. Right now, you have to load the upper bar fairly evenly to prevent it from bending one way or the other.

Very nice, always good to see a new gear hanger. Is it just sched 40 PVC? I wonder if it could be made out of Black ABS, I think the wall thickness is thicker. Might not be able to get the same sizes of tubing. Hmmmmmm I must build on of these..... Thanks

Yep plain old schedule 40. I considered ABS, but it would have drove the project price way up (at least from the cost of ABS vs. PVC my home depot). Also, I've never joined ABS (is it similar to PVC glue, or is there somethign more complicated?).

I should mention, (for those that want to build one of their own), that I put 1" piping inside of the 1 1/4" piping in a couple of the load-bearing beams (the two parallel beams that the removable support juts into) for additional stability.

rhlee:
I've just finished my drying rack and thought I would share. The main constraint was that it be indoors and unobtrusive.

I made it of 1 1/4" and 1" PVC and designed it to fold down and tuck underneath the futon when not in use. It holds 2 full sets of gear (BCDs, regs, 7mm farmer johns and assorted accessories).

Nice. Just one suggestion. Since you're not using that keyboard (rack's in the way), E-Bay it and buy some more gear.
eyebrow

Nice job. I can see your PITA. It looks like a dormitary or small apartment.
Been there and done that.......:)

One suggestion, please rotate your pictures next time.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom