Phuket/Mermaid II in March - Need hotel advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SadiesMom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy and I will be heading to Phuket in mid-March to do the "Andaman Safari" (i.e. Similans/Richelieu Rock/Hin Daeng combo trip) on the Mermaid II. Due to flights, we'll be coming in to Phuket 2 days before the boat goes.

I'm guessing that we'll need some time to decompress from the long flight, so in doing the research I've done, I'm thinking that Patong Beach may not necessarily be the best place for that. Plus we're a couple of mid-late 40's year old women who aren't necessarily looking for insanely wild nightlife. We don't necessarily need posh - but definitely clean and reasonably comfortable.

In looking at the websites out there, my brain is about to explode from the choices - so I figured I'd ask here, since there seem to be a fair number of you who live in Phuket and/or are pretty familar with the island...anyone have any suggestions of some places for me to look at for a couple of nights' accomodations?

I'm thinking around $75 a night or so....(and if there's a nice place for less, that's always good :D). Within walking distance of a beach is good, but it doesn't necessarily have to be right *on* a beach. And we'll have our gear, so lots of stairs with no elevators could be tough. We won't have our own transportation, so we'll have to depend on our feet, taxis or buses - so being within walking distance to restaurants/shopping is probably good.

Thanks for any help you can give me - my buddy's put me in charge of picking the hotel and man...this is tougher than I thought!!! (Oh...and we're heading to Bangkok for 4 days after the boat, so if you have any ideas on there, too, I'd LOVE that as well! :D)

Even if you can just help me narrow down the area, that would help

I went to Phuket last February and also went on the "andamen safari" with the M2. It was the best trip of my life period. Not just the diving, but the area is just gorgeous. The MM2 will give you great value, diving, and the food was good as well. I also stayed in Phuket for a couple of days. I stayed at the Patong Pearl which is about 1 and 1/2 blocks from the beach. Very nice, clean, and friendly and included a full breakfast for around 35 dollars a night. It is in Patong, which is the loudest of the three main beach areas but the area that the hotel is in is around a 5 minute walk to Bangla road where all the craziness is. Personally, i thought Patong Beach was nicer than Karon, but not as nice as Kata. Really a terrific trip and I plan on going back the winter of 07 (I have Fiji lined up for this summer). If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Also try Phuket.com. It's a good site for info.

Kata beach is nice and not as wild as Patong. There are several good hotels and resorts within your budget in the Kata area. Central Karon Village is midway between Kata and Patong and was offering a very attractive deal when I last checked.

Check out this link : www.latestays.com/

You may wish to think about renting a small Suzuki jeep for about $20 per day. It is quite easy to drive around Phuket. Another nice way to see Phuket is to rent a scooter which cost less than $5 per day.

I live in Surin and had to accomodate some relatives when my house was full over xmas 2 years ago. Places were full or too expensive in Surin for the two aunts who wanted something quiet and close enough.
We put them in the Kamala Beach Estate and they found the Kamala Dreams on their own and moved there so they could extend on their budget and stay. I believe it was under $65 a night. They liked it for the small and cosy atmosphere. They had the beach studio. Kamala is about 10 mins drive north of Patong. It's sort of like Kata was in the 80s.
I would not suggest you drive in Thailand if you are not familiar with rhd rules and the particular road rules of thailand (esp the motorbikes). You can hire a car with driver easily for less than $50 a day and he'll know where to go. You can message me for that info.

tzeyap:
Kata beach is nice and not as wild as Patong. There are several good hotels and resorts within your budget in the Kata area. Central Karon Village is midway between Kata and Patong and was offering a very attractive deal when I last checked.

Check out this link : www.latestays.com/

You may wish to think about renting a small Suzuki jeep for about $20 per day. It is quite easy to drive around Phuket. Another nice way to see Phuket is to rent a scooter which cost less than $5 per day.

I agree. I am doing my DM training with dive shop in Kata, it is a nice little town, beach close by, and very sedate compared to Patong. You can easily walk anywhere in town. I have driven in Phuket and I find the biggest challenge is navigation- I have been hopelessly lost more than once! If you are just driving along the coast, Kata to Patong, no problem. If you're only there a couple of days and want to "see the island", probably not worth the time to learn your way around, just hire a driver. I would not recommend renting scooters- very unsafe.

I have heard only good things about MM2- please report back here with your experience.

I'm definitely appreciating all this advice - it's really helping me narrow down some of the choices. :) I'm still open to any suggestions, however, so keep 'em coming.

Mark, I'll definitely post comments on my experience on the MMII. I do know a couple of people who were on her 2 years ago and were very complimentary about the trip. They just did the Similans/Richelieu Rock intinerary, but thought the boat was great. That was before the conversion to ensuite heads for the upper deck cabins (ooo, the luxury! :D)

I've never been to Asia at all and I'm completely thrilled about the whole trip - Thailand has been a dream trip for quite a while - I'm totally psyched, not only about the diving, but about seeing Phuket and Bangkok as well. I just wish I could stay longer and see more of the country :(.

You are in for a treat if this is going to be your first Asian experience! Speaking as a female diver in roughly the same age demographic as you and your dive buddy, and further, one who lives here on Phuket Island, I would second the advice given earlier to consider Kata beach. But here's another possibility: In my opinion, the lovliest beach on the island (with accommodation) is Nai Harn beach. It's a relatively quiet place even when it's busiest (like now during high season) and is located at the southern tip of the island. There are enough eating places for a couple of days as long as you don't want a huge range of cuisine, and you can even pick up a sarong or a tee shirt at the stalls nearby. There are several places to stay there--Meridien and Sabana are the big ones, but I'm not sure of the name of the other one--The Sands, or something similar, I believe.

As for driving around Phuket, if you are only going to be here a couple of days, you don't really need to rent a car--just hire a tuk-tuk, or even a regular taxi-to take you where you want to go. You will only need to get a driver for the day if you think you'll be going somplace where there won't be any transportation back, or if you want to spend a day inside a car. Even at Nai Harn you can get a Tuk Tuk to Kata if you want a bit more noise and activity. Nai Harn is pretty close to two panoramic viewpoints--Phrom Thep Cape and Lookout.

Finally, I sailed on MM2 last February before the refit and will go out on her again next week. Anybody who is considering booking MM2 and is interested in before-and-after comparisons can feel free to write to me.

SadiesMom:
I'm definitely appreciating all this advice - it's really helping me narrow down some of the choices. :) I'm still open to any suggestions, however, so keep 'em coming.

Mark, I'll definitely post comments on my experience on the MMII. I do know a couple of people who were on her 2 years ago and were very complimentary about the trip. They just did the Similans/Richelieu Rock intinerary, but thought the boat was great. That was before the conversion to ensuite heads for the upper deck cabins (ooo, the luxury! :D)

I've never been to Asia at all and I'm completely thrilled about the whole trip - Thailand has been a dream trip for quite a while - I'm totally psyched, not only about the diving, but about seeing Phuket and Bangkok as well. I just wish I could stay longer and see more of the country :(.

Hi Sadie. I've been to Phuket myself a few times and I like the Novotel Coralia. You are at the north end of Patong so away from the crowd but close enough to walk to the beach and to town. It's a nice hotel and rates when you go shouldn;t be too high. Nice swimming pool, clean rooms, TV, air/co, etc.,. It's also nice because at night you can go to Patong to see the madness then it is easily a short tuk-tuk ride away back to the hotel. Kata and Karong beach are also nice, much more quiet.

In Bangkok I like the JW Marriott and depending on when you go the rates can be as low as usd 60/night. Very nice hotel and great location. No doubt one of the best hotels in Bangkok.

Have a great time.

Deano2

Deano2:
Hi Sadie. I've been to Phuket myself a few times and I like the Novotel Coralia. You are at the north end of Patong so away from the crowd but close enough to walk to the beach and to town. It's a nice hotel and rates when you go shouldn;t be too high. Nice swimming pool, clean rooms, TV, air/co, etc.,. It's also nice because at night you can go to Patong to see the madness then it is easily a short tuk-tuk ride away back to the hotel. Kata and Karong beach are also nice, much more quiet.

In Bangkok I like the JW Marriott and depending on when you go the rates can be as low as usd 60/night. Very nice hotel and great location. No doubt one of the best hotels in Bangkok.
Thanks, Deano - I especially appreciate the idea for the hotel in Bangkok...that's next on the list... :wink: I'll definitely look into the JW Marriott..

Back
Top Bottom