Bummer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We just lost a legal battle and the results really suck.

Well before I joined this team there has been a confidence vote to become a member. The same goes for the SRU, HNT and any other teams that have to function as a team to ensure the safety of it’s members.

A single “NO” vote is an all “NO” vote. The results are to stay within the team and never be released to anyone outside the team.

Well tonight at briefing we got the news that some flippin judges and attorneys with nothing else to do sued us and won. The confidence vote is now, for the most part being ruled an illegal act.

As long as someone passes and meets all the requirements for the team we have to accept them. Even if they don’t get along with a single other member of the team they can’t be turned away.

So this person passes the physical fitness test, swim test, has a take home vehicle capable of running code, is available to be on call 24-7-365 and meets any number of other requirements, but doesn’t get along with anyone, we have to pick them up.

The fight is not over. I’ll be damned if I’m going to trust my butt to someone who I don’t get along with or I can’t trust.

We haven’t lost the year probation issue yet so we have something to fall back on. But it is going to be hard to get rid of someone unless they are a major F.U.

When they first announced this they mentioned everyone but the dive team. Then when it was all over they said, “Oh by the way it includes the dive team”. I think they knew it was going to fire me up.

So far one of the SRU guys resigned and will not return to the team unless it’s reversed. I won’t do that but we going to see how we can get around this ruling.

Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Gary D.

Sorry to hear that Gary. I dont understand why they would deem it neccasery to do that to you guys. Its not discrimination is a SAFETY Issue! But at the same time just cause they are on the team does not mean you have to dive with them!

Is it really a problem? If I had a backup diver or tender that I didn't trust in the given situation I could thumb the dive no questions asked. Every dive team needs a system of checks and balances and ultimately this is the most powerful one of all.

Dan

Do the words bring him on in and see what sort of administrative and safety burden he may become mean anything? Documentation of everything my man. Good luck

It's a B***H to work with somone you don't like, but if they are competent.........
If they are not,, that's a way out. Some of the biggest SOB's I have ever known in my life, would still stand and fight like demons when the s hit the fan. Tough call.

I can appreciate your position. While I never served as a PSD, (I discovered diving later in life than most here) I have been in Military as well as Aux Police situations where I can identify with your concerns. Some people are "introduced" to the team through attrition or other connections and really have no other purpose there, other than they "fit" the criteria.

While I have my own feelings as well as suggestions on how to deal with this............about all I can say is, "Stay the course". Eventually they will weed themselves out and hopefully in the meantime you will not have been harmed.

Be well,........Dive Safe

Looks like I got the straight skinny tonight.

The ruling is a direct result of the dive team’s confidence vote and had nothing to do with the other teams.

There is a near by department that isn’t even in our county that has caused the problems. Their team, for lack of a better word, is made up of a handful of OW divers that dive once or twice a year. The team leader has less than 10 dives under his belt.

They have been invited to every one of our training scissions over the past couple of years but never respond or show up. Now they have it in their heads that if they apply for OUR team they won’t pass the confidence vote because nobody knows them. DUH!

Well there are a couple of issues here. First off they aren’t even in our coverage area. They are in another county and jurisdiction so why try and join our team?

Next, is if you want to be known why not show up to things when your invited? Seems they are thinking they can just join and do what they want when they want.

Their gear is a joke. They have the cheapest stuff money can buy and it isn’t suitable to PSD work at all. Their regs are fine for the pool, as are the BC’s. The have Farmer John’s and think they can suit up as fast as a dry suit.

This whole thing has turned out to be a joke and we are on the receiving end.

So to kind of counteract the ruling we are doubling the probation time. That should help a little.

Now the part that really has my hackles raised. The ruling only applies to the dive team. $%^^*%$#&**$#&)+%T#!

Gary D.

Wooo!

I was agreeing with you until you made this statement

Their gear is a joke. They have the cheapest stuff money can buy and it isn’t suitable to PSD work at all. Their regs are fine for the pool, as are the BC’s. The have Farmer John’s and think they can suit up as fast as a dry suit.

Where I live our teams are all volunteers, if no one volunteered then there be no Fire or rescue in my area ( I live in the boonies). Now with that being said there is really no budget so they dive with what they got and I dont think it is the gear that makes the diver. There are some mebers with some very old gear and it works just fine, the gear is well taken care by them and they are excellent divers. I personally use a 7mil farmer john suit, cause not everyone can afford a dry suit. What does it matter how fast you suit up to retrieve a body that has been missing for days that stuck in the dam or how fast you suit up to retrieve a firearm from under the bridge. Now I am not saying it should take them hours to get ready but we can usally get to the site and get our gear on with in 10 minutes, I am a big guy and it takes me prob less then 2 to 3 minutes to get my suit on including boots, gloves, hood.

What I am trying to get at is that there gear should not be a reason to say no! There skills on the other hand would be. Also how many times have you been called to rescue some one from under water that was still alive by the time you get there. Most dive teams unfortunatly do not get called right away especially if it is not in a well known area. So actually most of your calls would be recovery calls.

Ok my rant is over and I prob just started a war but gear aint everything, think about the older divers with a harness a tank no guages no comupters huge masks. They got the job done.

Gary D.:
Looks like I got the straight skinny tonight.

They have been invited to every one of our training scissions over the past couple of years but never respond or show up. Now they have it in their heads that if they apply for OUR team they won’t pass the confidence vote because nobody knows them. DUH!

Next, is if you want to be known why not show up to things when your invited? Seems they are thinking they can just join and do what they want when they want.

So to kind of counteract the ruling we are doubling the probation time. That should help a little.
Gary D.
Just a thought!

Could you not make some meetings and training sessions mandatory and if they miss so many of them than that maybe grounds for getting them off the team?

No problem.
Limit the number of the members of the team to its current status.
If someone applies, there is no vacancy.
Or, as has been alluded to, have the aspiring "candidate" complete a probationary period. Generally a prospective employee can be dismissed at the end of the probationary period for very little cause, even if it's only "Doesn't play well with others."

the K

Back
Top Bottom