Shipwrecks in Philippine Waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
will do, have you been there? i am really excited bec i havent met anyone that has been there and not been more than satisfied.

No. . . I have been to Coron but it was on business and I didn't get to dive. Soooooo cruel! Next time I plan to dive no matter what! But you're right--I've heard nothing but raves about the wreck diving.

love2godeep:
No. . . I have been to Coron but it was on business and I didn't get to dive. Soooooo cruel! Next time I plan to dive no matter what! But you're right--I've heard nothing but raves about the wreck diving.

thats cruel indeed, thast like going to disneyland and not seeing mickey mouse hehe:)

Spoon:
yup yup! checking out coron on january.

The wrecks themselves are great!! But they have been fairly well picked over/salvaged. First by the Japanese after they were sunk, then I'm sure the americans went through them. If I remember correctly it was about 30 years ago when a salveger went through and took engines and any props that were left. So not a huge amount of artifacts... Big wrecks and are intact otherwise that are very cool. Because the prop shafts are gone one can swim from the engine room and on out the prop shft port at stern wich is really neat and gives meaning to the light at the end of the tunnel!!! The dives are well within sport diver range, the Irako Maru and the Akitsushima are the deepest where the average depths on the dive is 30m or better where most of the others average around 24-27m if memory serves me... Depending on the tide and activity in the oyster fields amoung the wrecks vis can greatly vary also. 10m to 24-25 is what I recall, because you are in a huge lagoon system the vis is not the greatest... oh well. If you get a chance do the dive at Baracuda lake, is one you wont forget!! Swim into the ash on the bottom very weird!!
Have a great trip!

A great wreck lies waiting to be discovered in the Philippines. She's the largest (along with her sister) battleship ever to be sank in battle. It's the battleship Musahi! Her and the Yamato were the largest battleships the world has ever seen, and she supposedly lies at the bottom of the Sulu sea. Leave the scuba gear at home though, this is ROV territory at 4000 fsw.

Spoon:
yup yup! checking out coron on january.

If you guys need any advice on Coron and that area, Your more than welcome to ask as I spent 14 mths in that area.......... The diving is good to very good. My favourites: Black island wreck and KYOKUZAN MARU (close to Dimakya Island.)

Argos:
If you guys need any advice on Coron and that area, Your more than welcome to ask as I spent 14 mths in that area.......... The diving is good to very good. My favourites: Black island wreck and KYOKUZAN MARU (close to Dimakya Island.)

thanks bro im really excited to check coron out. never been to a wreck before so i am simply counting the days. planning another trip as well after i get more information from my 1st trip on january. btw what were you doing there for 14 months if you dont mind me askin?

Spoon:
thanks bro im really excited to check coron out. never been to a wreck before so i am simply counting the days. planning another trip as well after i get more information from my 1st trip on january. btw what were you doing there for 14 months if you dont mind me askin?

Why Spoon, of course I was there working!! :wink: I have dived all the wrecks in coron more than once, and some that aren't listed...........If you have time get to Dimakya island or go on a seafari to the wrecks outside of coron bay e.g KYOKUZAN MARU this was not bombed it was scuttled by the captain and the cargo is mostly intact. Amongst other things there is still the jap staff car to see...........eyebrow

Argos:
Why Spoon, of course I was there working!! :wink: I have dived all the wrecks in coron more than once, and some that aren't listed...........If you have time get to Dimakya island or go on a seafari to the wrecks outside of coron bay e.g KYOKUZAN MARU this was not bombed it was scuttled by the captain and the cargo is mostly intact. Amongst other things there is still the jap staff car to see...........eyebrow

wow thanks for the heads up

wreckdiver1715:
If you take a short visit over to our friends at TreasureNet.com under shipwrecks, you will find lots of good info on both wrecks that have been located, and ones that are yet to be located in the PI, and the world over. That site has several professional Treasure Hunters and researchers that monitor that board. Also, an internet search of Manila Galleons will also provide lots of data.

HH

Q

You should also give www.thetreasuredepot.com a look too. Lots more activity there, so might be some better answears to your questions.

another interesting place to visit is subic bay in the luzon area. about 3-3.5 hours drive from manila. here was the site of the former us naval base. there are a number of war ships & cargo ships that were sunk during the japanese & american occupation. among the more famous wrecks that they allow diving in are the LST, USS New York, San Quentin among others. have been diving there around 3 times. water viz is kind of bad on the surface because of algae build up, but once you've descended around 30 or so, it clears up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom