P-47 Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was wondering if someone knew where the remains of a WWII P-47 airplane are at off of Oahu? I knew about the Corsair, but not the P-47.

Is this the one located off the west shore? I don't know the site by any other name than "Airplane" (go figure) - I don't know what kind of plane it is.

I think there are two airplane wrecks off the West shore, but I believe they are both commercial type aircraft. I have heard there is an airplane wreck you can dive somewhere at Bellows, but I don't know what type of aircraft it is.

FRUMPY:
I think there are two airplane wrecks off the West shore, but I believe they are both commercial type aircraft. I have heard there is an airplane wreck you can dive somewhere at Bellows, but I don't know what type of aircraft it is.

HUH? It must be way off Bellows seeing as how it is 15-20 ft about 1/2mile off shore. Just giving you a hard time. There is something about a P-47 that crashed on take off from Bellows. Can't tell you exactly where it is but I believe someone on scubaboard has a picture of one.

Melissa

ch0ppersrule:
HUH? It must be way off Bellows seeing as how it is 15-20 ft about 1/2mile off shore. Just giving you a hard time. There is something about a P-47 that crashed on take off from Bellows. Can't tell you exactly where it is but I believe someone on scubaboard has a picture of one.

Melissa
Thats where I first saw it... I guess the search is on!!!

Sorry couldn't be more helpful. I know Bellows is a large area. Maybe some of the lifeguards out there know. If not them, then the people that do the tours. They have a van and bike tour around parts of Bellows talking about the attack. They should have a good idea of the whereabouts. You might be able to rent a kayak (if you don't have your own) and through your gear on and paddle out. If you do find it, make sure to let the rest of us know where to find it.

ch0ppersrule:
Sorry couldn't be more helpful. I know Bellows is a large area. Maybe some of the lifeguards out there know. If not them, then the people that do the tours. They have a van and bike tour around parts of Bellows talking about the attack. They should have a good idea of the whereabouts. You might be able to rent a kayak (if you don't have your own) and through your gear on and paddle out. If you do find it, make sure to let the rest of us know where to find it.

I am told there is a plane about a 1/4 mile from the Mokes (twin Mokulua Islands off Lanikai), it is supposed to be in 25 feet of water....maybe that is the one you guys are thinking of near bellows?

Capt. Joe used to take charters out there...I'll give him a call and see what kind of plane that was...

you've peaked my curiosity as well!!

Are you talking about the plane off Koko Head? Not the Corsair (107 feet), but there is another coral covered wreck off Hanuama Bay in 160 feet. I have talked to divers who know where it is. I'd love to do it, but if you can get there, let me know and I can try and get some coordinates for you

Piratediver:
Are you talking about the plane off Koko Head? Not the Corsair (107 feet), but there is another coral covered wreck off Hanuama Bay in 160 feet. I have talked to divers who know where it is. I'd love to do it, but if you can get there, let me know and I can try and get some coordinates for you

Sure, PM me the numbers... I would love to get them, I'm starting my Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures soon. Would love to do that. BTW I just got the numbers for the P-47 off Bellows, I'll let everyone know about it when the surf goes down a little.

me and jimbo tried to find the P-47 off of bellows a few months ago using kayaks and his gps (housed in tripple zip-lock bags.. heh)

the life guard at bellows tried to tell us how to find it.. and tho' the gps kept telling us we were within' a hundred yards.. we never found it =(

viz wasn't so good (less than 20 feet).. lots of wind waves.. windward side.. durr.

the life guard said it was only 15-20 feet deep.. but from the photos in the SB gallery, looks like it blends in to the reef (same colors/ overgrowth).

if you have better coordinates (can you please post 'em here?) we'll go out there with you again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom