curacao diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhode_Island_snahm

Registered
Reaction score
hi all, im thinking of going to curacao in the new year, from anyone that has been there how safe is it there once outside the hotel?? i wont be on a resort so im just wondering how foreigners are accepted etc... thanks chris

We've always felt quite safe and never had a problem. We do spend most time at a resort, but I've spent plenty of time downtown and in some non-tourist areas. (Usually getting lost looking for some local business or restaurant.) Use common sense like anyplace. As far as foreigners, well tourism is major business and Curacao is a real melting pot anyway. Where are you staying that you are concerned?

I was there this past summer, unfortunately just after the Natalie Holoway sitaution in Aruba. I never felt threatened and thought the island was very warm and receptive to the people vacationing there. It's the most "Americanized" of the Antilles in my opinion. I would recommend going to Directors bay and you can dive the tugboat, very easy shore snorkel dive. There is a slight charge to enter the facility but it is a nice area and most likely a nice secluded area for you. There is an old quarantine hospital and a fortress you can "kick" around in and get some great pictures. There is a dive shop, (loosely used term) at Directors bay, but can easily accomodate a dive adventure right there. I would recommend pre arranging it all, just for your ease.

We went to the Ostrich farm and that was an interesting adventure. I would recommend it as a unique trip. Some of the houses in that area look in disrepair but again, the people there were very warm and friendly.

If you are interested, you can tour the Curacao de Curacao plantation where the world renowned Blue Curacao was discovered. If you go, you'll have to buy some liquer. The Chocolate Curacao is awesome by itself as a night cap.

Downtown is very clean. There were a few shops that offer unique dutch doiles (SIC?) and we bought some as gifts for friends and family stateside.

If it's any indication, my family plan to go back again this upcoming year, Lord willing the bank doesn't close on us.

Great vacation spot!

Welcome to the board Chris.
We dove Curacao for the first time this July. We had a great time and never felt like we should not be there. We traveled all over the island and walked to town most nights. We got to know the guys at the dive shop and from what they told us, Curacao is pretty safe as long as you don't go wondering way off the main streets. I would not suggest you go wondering onto the deep back streets at night wearing a bunch of expensive stuff but thats the same advise I would give you anywhere.
There are a lot of pay dive sites that are really nice. At $2-3 pp for the day, I found the price very reasonable. Porta Maria and Cas Abo are a couple we dove that were very nice, secure and has good facilities both for the diver and non diver alike. Food is really good on the island and the prices were about the same as here in Raleigh. I am a big fan of Bonaire but Curacao is a not too distance second.

Chris,
We too are planning a visit to Curacao in the next year...January 8-15 2006, staying at the Marriott and diving 6 days w/ Sunset Divers. Thanks for posting...although we've been to Aruba a few times, this will be our first to Curacao and any info is most helpful.

I just returned last week from our second trip to Curacao. We liked it better the second time and plan on another return next year.

Yes its safe. Very friendly island. Clean. Good work ethic.

Hi Chris!

We went to Aruba and Curacao for 5 days each on our honeymoon in 2001. We found Aruba to be a much more enjoyable island from a tourist perspective, but never felt unsafe or unwelcome in Curacao, and the diving there is still some of the best we have done. We did stay on a resort, but did go in to Willemstad a few times. The Seaquarium is actually quite something to see. I don't know if they cater to divers from off the resort, but the shop at Captain Don's Habitat resort is Easy Divers. The took over the operation at Habitat a few years ago. Prior to that, they were at Sunset Waters, which is where we stayed. They are a first class operation! If you can dive with Anne Marie and Harry from Easy Divers, I would highly recommend it!

One of the best known sites on the island are the settlement houses. Many of these pastel colored houses are quite worn and shoddy, but many have recently been restored, and many more are in the process now.

As others have mentioned, the Curacao de Curacao distillery is a great site to hit. The island also has some limestone caves that you can tour (above the water). There are also a few plantation houses which you can tour, if you're a history buff.

By all means, post a trip report when you get back. I always love hearing how things are down there, and hope to get back someday. :)

I have been to Curacao on 3 occasons and have never felt unsafe off the resort. Quite the contrary we have explored all over the island and have been welcome everywhere we went (or at least our dollars were welcome :) )

However, I would recommend staying away from downtown (Punda or Otrabana) after the shops close. I doubt you would run into any trouble down there but things do tend to get a little seemy

Curacao is great, for both divers and non divers alike. There is tons to do topside, as well as some incredible beaches if you rent a car and drive to the non-hotel side of the island. Oh yeah, and the diving is first class. I stayed at the Breezes a few years ago, and loved every minute of it. Never once felt unsafe at night.

Szymon

Curacao has better diving than Bonaire and its a lot easier to get to. I've been there many times, stayed at the Habitat and the Marriot. Shore diving at the Habitat is great.

Back
Top Bottom