Dive Cancellation Policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kinda' chicken little about such, with a lot of respect for Murphy's laws of probabilities - and I always do trip insurance when I leave the country, after ensuring the policies covers ALL vendors, as well as many other risks that can be much greater outside of the US - like international limits on checked luggage, for example.

But - aren't you glad you weren't there when the roof blew off...?! :wink:

We cancelled last Sunday when the hotel we were staying in Playa and wouldn't reopen until Dec. 12th. (on our way back from Am. Caye) had the roof blown off. We didn't want to spend our vacation in a big mess since it was our first time. Hubby had vacatin scheduled this this period in Nov. - couldn't take it in Dec. The airlines have been very nice about the entire situation along with hotels in Mexico. We plan to return in either April or May of next year since I have knee surgery the end of Dec. I learned a big lesson - never have we needed travel insurance however since Central America does things differently along with other Caribbean dive areas, we're definitely buying trip insurance. Since thinking about it, I may just be a non dive person going out for several dives then snorkel with my hubby. I would never find a dive buddy - since he has the exercised induced asthma, I wouldn't want to leave him by himself to snorkel. We do quite a bit together esp. cycling.

I forgot one question, if I do become certified, is there any place in the East Bay area of Calif. or the Pennisula that would offer a private session for the classroom study during the daytime and if so, please reply. Thanks.

scubabear2005:
I forgot one question, if I do become certified, is there any place in the East Bay area of Calif. or the Pennisula that would offer a private session for the classroom study during the daytime and if so, please reply. Thanks.
I'm sure there are places, but you really should post this question in the Northern Calf Dive Club forum, and get to know new friends locally there. In the North American forums, but here is a link.

Hmmm, exercised induced asthma...that might be a problem for diving, but that is an issue to be discussed with your physician, hopefully one familiar with SCUBA and all that it involves.

Regarding refunds, the fine print on the contract is king and there is whre you need to look for your answere about that. Even if your contract allows it, some vendors will assume you owuld not take the time to come don there and go through their courts to fight it. They would most likley be right too.

About a California place to study, drop into Regional Travel and Dive Clubs, North America/United States/California Kelp Divers/Northern California section of this board and ask your question there. You will get lots of local advice.

You've got that right. We would have been scared to death - this place is really neat - grass type roofs - they announced they would reopen 12/16/18? In fact flights aren't flying into Cancun at the present.

Any time you go to the third world, you should buy travel insurance. I've been to too many places where you have little chance of getting your money back once its changed hands.

Halthron:
Any time you go to the third world, you should buy travel insurance.

Anywhere you go anywhere you should have it. What if bags go missing? Items stolen? Dive gear damaged in transit? Hotel room broken into? Illness on the surface needs medical treatment and evacuation? A diving incident? Tour operator goes out of business ?

So many factors can go wrong on any trip its lunacy to go abroad without it.

Its not that expensive for year round policies - the most expensive place on the planet i can visit for insurance is the USA and thats purely due to increased premium due to the "sue soon, sue often" culture that now exists. I pay approx $140usd for a year for dive and travel insurance anywhere in the world. Its been used exactly once and has already paid for itself.

String:
Anywhere you go anywhere you should have it.
IMO, that's excessive but if it makes you happy, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom