Cozumel Hurricane Update from Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you for updating us on the conditions in cozumel. it's good to finally hear how things are there, good or bad. i've been glued to the tv and internet reading about the hurricane. i was wondering, have you heard anything about iberostar cozumel or nachi cocom beach club? my fiance and i are having our wedding at the end of january at nachi cocom and we and 25 guests are staying at iberostar. i was just wondering if we needed to start looking for another place to go or thinking about pushing the date back, if possible. thanks for any help you can give me.
jade

Thanks for the info...If you get any info on Roberta's Scuba Shak & the Blue Bubbles dive team, could you please pass along. Dove with them in Sept., stayed at the Barracuda.

The next two posts i got from Dave at Aldrora today, some of it is the same and some is new. Please read the whole post especially part 2. Kathy in Texas

It should be noted that in the interest in at least getting SOME news out, the information in this document is an attempt to provide as much information as we can in a very nebulous environment. Most of it will be from eye witness accounts, but some will be based on information passed on by third parties. This should not be construed as perfect or journalistically accurate.

This will be a log and updated frequently during the early stages of the recovery from Hurricane Wilma, and posted on the pages of www.aldora.com.

October 24, 2005

I talked to Memo Mendoza at 8am today and have the following partial report:

General Damage of note (from south to north):

While there was much rain, it was not as much as tropical storms that we frequently experience and flooding from rising water was not anything out of the ordinary.

All waterfront hotels to the south have suffered catastrophic damage but the extent is not known at this time.

Day beach resorts where our surface intervals have been taken are certainly damaged if not gone.

Chankanaab Park has disappeared.

Caletta Harbor suffered severe damage to many boats. The Living Underwater boat is sunk and lies underneath a huge Dive Paradise boat which is upside down. Several of the Dive House boats are also underwater, as are most of the boats in the harbor.

Puerta Maya has disappeared. That includes the buildings and the pier. Paradise Reef is now safe from Cruise Ships.

Car and Truck Ferry Pier is damaged limiting the arrival of supplies.

The International Pier (for years the only cruise ship pier) is damaged and missing a section in the middle.

The dry marina (boat yard) next to Caribe Blu (still standing but seriously damaged), where many boats are stored on land, had a collapse of the boat hanger roof which crushed the owner’s giant catamaran and the travel lift which is used to launch and retrieve the large dive boats. This means that it will be quite some time before the large dive boats in dry storage there can get into the water.

The dry marina boat yard protected about 30 boats, and about 5 of them were damaged by flying debris or collapsed walls. All six of the Aldora Boats in the dry Marina are not damaged and using the forklift, can be placed in the water as soon as the authorities allow such activity.

The new cruise ship pier downtown, Punta Langosta seems to be completely intact but the adjacent buildings and mini mall are seriously damaged.

The Aqua Safari pier is gone as well as the remains of the Pro Dive Pier. The Aldora Pier seems to be ok and usable.

The hotel Casa Mexicana is open and running on a generator. The Bahia and other downtown hotels seem to be OK and given electrical power and guests seem to be able to accommodate guests.

The Aldora office and shop on Calle 5, just ¼ block from the water’s edge remained undamaged.

All waterfront shops on the main street (Rafael Melgar) suffered wave damage and burst open storm doors, with the contents spread out over the street. Some people have been picking up items from the street but it is not “wild looting” and the police are now patrolling the street where no one is allowed. To the north side of town the waterfront damage seems less and Pancho’s Back Yard and Cinco Soles seem intact.

The ferry pier is ok and the ferries are running today, regular schedule.

The airport runway is ok and can support flights but the control tower is damaged as is the terminal building.

The Villa Aldora suffered some water in the beach level rooms but since we had moved all furniture into the Cameron Suite (furthest from the water and no ocean view) that all stayed dry. The Barracuda Suite had a broken window behind the hurricane shutters and the North Suite has a cracked sliding glass door. On the Villa Aldora Beach, the only thing left is the rocks that god placed there. Gone is the dock, palapa, retaining walls for our beach sand, the huge palms trees and the wall on the south side of the property.

Puerto Abriggo, home to many of the larger boats, suffered many casualties too but we did not have time to survey them. For certain, the catamaran party boat “Zorro” is in many small pieces. Maybe 50% were damaged.

Hotels to the north and structures on the east side could not be surveyed.

Synopsis

The major impact has been to the following:

Cruise Ship

It is unknown how long a time will pass before a cruise ship can land in Cozumel. And if they could there is no infrastructure to entertain them. Of course they can revert to using a lighter to bring passengers in, and the shops may be able to sweep out their stores and replace the merchandise, but it will be a long time before the streets are crowded with them again.

Power

The restoration of power is a key for renewal of the Cozumel economy. Without power there will be no tourists so I am sure that the government will apply all energy that they can to get power up and running. Complicating that effort will be that Cozumel will be competing with Cancun for support and it may be difficult to get done as quickly as we have in past hurricanes. The good news is that the Governor of the state is a former President (mayor) of Cozumel and much of his staff is from here. With their friends and family in Cozumel I don’t think we will be ignored. My best guess is that we should have power restored to most of the island in less than one week.

Diving

There are two aspects to this, one is the quality of dives and the other is availability of dive boats.

The dive quality will be reduced by very poor visibility for about one week. After that the current should have carried all the light debris toward Cuba. The heavy stuff may litter the bottom for a while, but given that there is not much development near the dive sites that should be minimal. The shallow dive sites may have been scoured but we have found that the fish life returns rather quickly after such an event. Expect finger coral and lettuce coral to have been hard hit. The deeper sites such as Palancar, Columbia and Punta Sur should not have been effected. We are very curious to see if the hurricane has mover the wreck of the C-53.

As for our surface intervals which have normally been taken at a day beach resort, we will just have to revert to the ways we did things before there were piers down south. That is we will nose anchor out, backing in and raising the outboards in the shallow water. Lunch and drinks will be provided for a quiet beach picnic, blowing off the accumulated nitrogen. Many have longed for the way it used to be—here it is!

The availability of dive boats will be an issue. All of the Aldora Boats are ready to go diving as we speak. However more than 50% of the fleet is now damaged or completely destroyed and it is difficult to determine how long it will take to get them all back in operation. Prior reservations may be a must do for divers coming to Cozumel in the coming months.

Part 2 Wilma UPdate sent to me by Dave today Kathy in Texas I realize some of this is repeat but some is new so please read to the end.

Another consideration is the availability of power for the compressor shops. That should be going within a week. However, given the focus on “recovery” it is possible that the authorities may ban commercial activity for some time, and that usually includes dive boats.

Given the problems with infrastructure in Cozumel the diving may, for some time, be just it was in the 70s and 80s--not very crowded and with a scarcity of cruise ship people roaming town. There are some among us who don’t see that as bad.

Hotels

Most of the large hotels are severely damaged and some may not be reopened at all. My guess is that some may make it to reopen by Christmas. The smaller hotels around town should be able to accept guests as soon as the power is restored. The Villa Aldora is operating on a generator now and could accept guests.

This will be updated as more complete information is received.

October 25, 2005 4PM CDT

This afternoon a meeting was held with business owners and the President (mayor) of the Island to discuss the recovery effort, priorities and schedule. The major points were:

1. It is recognized that the life blood of Cozumel is the tourist industry and all priorities (after public safety) will be to return the infrastructure as soon as possible.
2. The airport is open for business and Mexicana flights from Mexico City should be arriving today.
3. A 7pm curfew will remain in effect for the time being.
4. The Passenger Ferries are running, bringing supplies in and tourists out.
5. Friday the Truck Ferry pier will be fixed and heavy equipment will be able to come over and help. Electrical crews are already here from all over Mexico.
6. Power will be restored to the Chedraui/Corpus Christi area by Thursday, with other areas added to the grid as soon as possible. It is expected that all areas of the island will be finished by early December.
7. The good news, this time, is that the President of Mexico has promised Federal Aid in the recovery. We hope that is more than just lip service.

Other news includes:

A news release by the Fiesta Americana chain says all Mayan Riviera hotels, including Cozumel will not reopen until December 15th.

Continental Airlines has cancelled flights in this week but is scheduling to resume service on October 29th.

Given that the power will be restored starting October 27th in the Chedraui area, it is presumes that the downtown section may be next followed by the North Hotel zone, then the South. This would allow the quickest return to commercial viability for the island.

Elsewhere, the authorities announced that the first priorities for the roads will be rebuilding the main street, Rafael Melgar, and the road around the island.

Memo Mendoza was able to buy two rotisserie chickens.

Food and water supplies are coming in via the passenger ferries but once the truck ferry is running inventories may soon return to normal.

The big problem for many people though will be that this event comes on the tail end of the low season and almost everyone, including the businesses are broke, a having used up their reserves getting over Hurricane Emily in July and the very low season of September and October. Virtually everyone was expecting to begin making money to live on in early November. Now that is not going to happen for many.

We have read a report that the Barracuda hotel is in rubble, posted by a European I think. That is not entirely true as actually from the street it looks OK. We are sure however that the dive shop and poolside areas are history, and maybe some of the rooms are damaged—but the structure is still standing.

The Villa Blanca hotel pier and the Temptations Bar on the water side have been destroyed, they are rubble. The Casa Del Mar hotel pier is gone as is the waterside stairs going up to the pedestrian bridge. Other than that the hotel seems intact.

It was reported that the Occidental Grand and Allegro Resorts are standing but have 2 feet of sand in the rooms and lobby.

If any divers are scheduled into Cozumel the rest of this year, and find accommodations to be difficult to find we would be willing to help in any way we can. Truly, when power does come back on it is going to be a very peaceful place for a while—that is the way I used to like it.

It is not possible to drive to the south of the island so tomorrow we will be taking out one of our boats to survey the damage to the far south hotels and piers. We will also dive a few select reefs and provide what info we can on what we see.

I passed on the many requests for information to our staff today and am to have a conference call with them between 7 and 9pm CDT this evening. Once I get their feedback I will send replies as I can.

I tried to get a quick flight down for tomorrow with return for the next day, but Continental had cancelled flights until Saturday. Because of Halloween and the fact that I have 6 year old twins I have had to defer that trip until November 2nd. Actually I may be more help here than there anyway.

Again, let me reiterate, almost no one in Cozumel was physically injured by this storm. So to worry about the safety of friends is a waste of emotional energy. However, there has been great mental stress and I even hear that over the telephone in the voice of Memo Mendoza. It will take time and the support of our diver friends but they will get past this, all they need is you.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave said there may be water and electricity in a week or two. We are not cancelling our plans as of yet. Will continue to see what happens and will make our trip if he says its ok. Kathy in Texas

Thanks Dave. Nice to get some firm information.

Did anyone hear yet about the place called The Village TanKah on the north end by the Casa Del Mar we have reservations the end of Jan 2006 Thanks
Diving Diva

scubacoz22:
Check out Cozumel hurricane update there is a new post there.

What is that? Have you got a URL?

Back
Top Bottom