Hawaii: big island versus other islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember right there are two places that you can really get up close and friendly with dolphins. The one being the Kahala Mandrin Hotel and the other Sea Life Park.

Aloha Anna and Hau'oli La Hanau (happy birthday in Hawaiian)!

I would say the Mandarin would be a better experience with the Dolphins. Sea Life Park tends to pack in 20 other people in the pool with you and the dolphins at the same time, and you just touch them for a second.

If you are interested in Dolphins in the big blue on a boat charter...I highly recommend The Wild Side. I took my mother (who just turned 60) last year and she loved it. Check out their web site: http://www.sailhawaii.com/swim.html The crew are marine biologists and current university students in the marine biology program. They provide a wealth of information and are out of the West Shore of Oahu, so you get to see a very different side of the island...

Happy Planning !

If you're looking for a good dive op on the Big Island, I'd recommend Jack's Diving Locker jacksdivinglocker.com . The active volcano is kind of underwhelming, the manta ray dive on the other hand is awsome. One of the more unique land activities on the Big Island (for those with absolutely no fear of hights), much better that the volcano in my opinion, is hiking the cliff trail http://www.hawaiiforestandtrail.com/adv-waterfall.html . I would recommend being based on the Big Island and visiting Oahu from there, the diving on the Big Island is prettier.

Clearly someone who hasen't seen the lava up close or from over head. It dosen't flow all the time on the surface but when it breaks through it is awsome! Some people have different tastes in what they like. Some view it as a bunch of ugly rock, many fine the beauty in it and some are lucky enough to watch the earth being formed right before there eyes. Ive been to the park a dozen or more times and have paid to fly it twice now and will do it again.

Wildcard:
Clearly someone who hasen't seen the lava up close or from over head. It dosen't flow all the time on the surface but when it breaks through it is awsome! Some people have different tastes in what they like. Some view it as a bunch of ugly rock, many fine the beauty in it and some are lucky enough to watch the earth being formed right before there eyes. Ive been to the park a dozen or more times and have paid to fly it twice now and will do it again.

Yep. The volcano, when flowing, is a truly great experience. Several years ago I took both sides of the immediate family, ages 3 to 69 at the time, to the flow. Everyone was thrilled, even the 3 year old after way too much of a walk.

In this photo, my family's litterally crouching 10 feet in front of an active flow.
lavafamily.jpg

Saying that the volcano is underwhelming is IMHO a very jaded opinion. Currently the flow is in the low to moderate range and I would reccommend it to anyone. How often to you get a chance to see melted rock dropping into the ocean?

Wildcard:
I have lived on Maui, Big Isle and now Oahu. Hands down, no questions asked, Big Isle....Just so much to do and see. Check out the sea horse farm thread here as well as the worlds most active volcano, 21 years of nonstop eruption to date. Drive to the top of the worlds tallest single peak and play in the snow. Spend the bucks and do the 2 hour helo tour. I could go on for hours about the big isle. Maui is nice but oh so packed. Oahu sucks. The other isles are very spendy but very quiet.

Okay- I have to disagree with Wildcard. For sightseeing there is plenty on Oahu!! You have the Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin, Mighty Mo, Diamond Head, Punchbowl, Kualoa Ranch, Bishop musuem, Iolani Palace, Dole Plantation, Botanical Gardens, Pali Lookout, Hanauma Bay (for divers and non-divers),Chinaman's Hat, Makapuu Point (lighthouse you can walk to and have a good chance of seeing the humpback whales passing by), Halona Blowhole, Lanai Lookout, Valley of the Temples, Ko'Olina Resort with nice beaches, plenty of beautiful beaches and good diving. Don't forget you have tons of shopping in Waikiki and Chinatown. Granted I have not dove on the Big Isle, but there is good diving here and plenty of places to see. You would have a better chance of seeing everything on Oahu in a week than you would on Hawaii. It took us around 5 hours to drive from Hilo to Kona. That is a 10hr drive for a one day trip from Hilo to Kona. Yes, the volcano was awesome, but it is also quite a hike and you more than likely will not actually see the lava flowing unless you take the helo ride (which I do recommend). Just wanted to add my two cents in for O'ahu.

Melissa

ch0ppersrule:
Okay- I have to disagree with Wildcard. For sightseeing there is plenty on Oahu!! You have the Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin, Mighty Mo, Diamond Head, Punchbowl, Kualoa Ranch, Bishop musuem, Iolani Palace, Dole Plantation, Botanical Gardens, Pali Lookout, Hanauma Bay (for divers and non-divers),Chinaman's Hat, Makapuu Point (lighthouse you can walk to and have a good chance of seeing the humpback whales passing by), Halona Blowhole, Lanai Lookout, Valley of the Temples, Ko'Olina Resort with nice beaches, plenty of beautiful beaches and good diving. Don't forget you have tons of shopping in Waikiki and Chinatown. Granted I have not dove on the Big Isle, but there is good diving here and plenty of places to see. You would have a better chance of seeing everything on Oahu in a week than you would on Hawaii. It took us around 5 hours to drive from Hilo to Kona. That is a 10hr drive for a one day trip from Hilo to Kona. Yes, the volcano was awesome, but it is also quite a hike and you more than likely will not actually see the lava flowing unless you take the helo ride (which I do recommend). Just wanted to add my two cents in for O'ahu.
Ummm, how lost did you get? 5 Hours? It takes two. I have lived on Maui, Big Isle and now Oahu. Dove and drove em all. Oahu gets the vote for shopping I guess but I have been very underwhelmed by everything else here. Call me spoiled but here in Oahu you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 14 tourests and three locals trying to steal your stuff....I can name a hundred things to do big isle style like tubing the water flume, seing the sea horse ranch, seeing the largest private cattle ranch in the US and taking a horse/ATV/wagon tour. How about driving from sea level to 14,000 feet in two hours? Eleven of fourteen of the earth climates in one day?..Ive been very lucky in life as of late in getting to live in these places and realy get to know them....Like I said, everyone has different view of things. It's all good!
Melissa
Ummm, how lost did you get? 5 Hours? It takes two. I have lived on Maui, Big Isle and now Oahu. Dove and drove em all. Oahu gets the vote for shopping I guess but I have been very underwhelmed by everything else here. Call me spoiled but here in Oahu you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 14 tourests and three locals trying to steal your stuff....I can name a hundred things to do big isle style like tubing the water flume, seing the sea horse ranch, seeing the largest private cattle ranch in the US and taking a horse/ATV/wagon tour. How about driving from sea level to 14,000 feet in two hours? Eleven of fourteen of the earth climates in one day?..Ive been very lucky in life as of late in getting to live in these places and realy get to know them....Like I said, everyone has different view of things. It's all good!

Wildcard:
I have lived on Maui, Big Isle and now Oahu. Hands down, no questions asked, Big Isle....Just so much to do and see. Check out the sea horse farm thread here as well as the worlds most active volcano, 21 years of nonstop eruption to date. Drive to the top of the worlds tallest single peak and play in the snow. Spend the bucks and do the 2 hour helo tour. I could go on for hours about the big isle. Maui is nice but oh so packed. Oahu sucks. The other isles are very spendy but very quiet.

I too live on Oahu, and yes... it does suck... unless you know someone with a boat... and alas, I do not:banghead:

Wildcard:

Wildcard: LOL- your dead cat senario.
The only stop we made was at South Point and took some pictures. We went right to the place we were looking for (Kahaluu Beach Park). I think that for Oahu you won't have all the driving as you would on the Big Isle. Oahu is a nice place to visit- maybe not live, but still nice to visit. I was just adding my two cents worth as you are. I am sure there won't be any snow on the mountains in July/August. The Big Isle was pretty, but the beaches we visited were just as crowded as they are here. We also visited there in August and stayed at KMC (Kileaua Military Camp). There are other things we wanted to see, but we didn't have the time to do all the driving. Maybe staying on Kona side is better and closer to everything. Is your camera working yet (from the scubaboard get together?). I am sure there is plenty of theft on the other islands also.

Fishb0y:
Yes, the island would be a lot funner if you know someone with a boat, but NigerHadiza is looking to do a couple dives and someplace for his family and friends to visit. I don't believe they are looking for someplace to live and dive for life. Oahu is a nice place to visit with plenty of stuff to do without a lot of driving. Happy diving and hope you meet someone with a boat. PM me and I can give you someone's name that owns a boat : )

Back
Top Bottom