inter-island flight & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soya

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning flying from SF to Hawaii on 14 Nov and hoping to visit Kauai (3nts), Oahu(3nts) & BI(4nts). Would love to take a few boat dives to experience these unique islands and take a halicopter tour in such short space of time.:D

Is it alright fly :pilot: from Honlulu to Kona in the morning and do a twilight/night dive follow by a helicopter ride next day?

Is it common to dive with Nitrox in Hawaii?:06: I am considering a PADI Nitrox course (it said it can be done in one day in Oahu), however, since we will all surface together the longer bottom time seems irrelevant.

thanks in advance for your advice.

It would be safer to fly to Kona then do the Helo trip (take the two hour tour, it's worth the extra money) dive that night and again the next day if you wish. I won't tell you it's safe to dive at night then fly the next day but many do it. If you elect to ignore the standards, at least make it a later tour flight. Yes, nitrox is common and would help slightly with your nitrogen loading.
Enjoy your visit! Aloha

Ummm wait 24 hours after diving. The minimum would be 18 hours. Many do cheat. Many end up in chambers. You're rolling dice with your life there.

There are different standards out there and it does depend on dive profile but why take a chance?

Thanks for your advice. I will remember that's OK to dive after flight but a 24hr break before flying again. Don't want to spoil my trip to NZ & Oz.

Has anyone been to Mauna Kea Sunset and Starshow? Does it worth a long evening?

soya:
Is it common to dive with Nitrox in Hawaii?:06: I am considering a PADI Nitrox course (it said it can be done in one day in Oahu), however, since we will all surface together the longer bottom time seems irrelevant.

Is this the Nitrox course or the discover Nitrox course?

Hi Soya! I really love "George's Aviation" The interisland fares are really low, and its like an 8-seater or something. The reason I like it is no airport security lines, etc AND you can park for free. They are located at the very end of Lagoon Drive (Oahu) and the pilot picks you up from the free secure parking lot in a golf cart and take you to the hanger where it feels like flying with friends. Probably not for people who are white knuckle flyers but if you are wanting to heli-tour, I am sure it would not bother you...great way to see the reefs, islands, etc. Have fun!

Hi catherine

I've visited your PP diving site and wonder if the Nitrox course is the full course or discover as well. How many days do I need?

soya:
I've visited your PP diving site and wonder if the Nitrox course is the full course or discover as well. How many days do I need?

Aloha Soya!

The Nitrox course offered by Pacific Paradise Divers is the full Nitrox Certification course. It can be completed in one day while on the island.

The course includes the following:
  • Once the class is booked, we will send you the course manual, video and PADI crew pack (which includes the enriched air tables)
  • The student should watch the video and complete the knowledge reviews in the course book prior to the scheduled Oahu dive day
  • The day of the dives, the student will meet with their PADI instructor to review the academics of Enriched Air/Nitrox (this usually takes about 3 hours)
  • The student will learn to analyze their gas, take a final exam and review the Enriched Air repetitive dive tables
  • All for the fun part - SCUBA Diving! The instructor and student will go on a 2 tank dive charter and dive two locations using Nitrox. And with this - The certification is completed!

With the prework completed and video reviewed, one day of Oahu diving and academics and you will be certified as a PADI Enriched Air diver. You are then eligible to dive, purchase and rent Enriched Air up to a blend of 40%. Reaping the rewards of longer bottom time, minimizing the effects of nitrogen at depth and reduced surface intervals.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom