Sardine Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slipslop:
well i can just walk across the road to the beach and the sardines! they arent here yet
advance shoals beached at pumula yesterday (monday)

Wow, My heart is pumping just thinking that the sardines are passing through now. It must be an amazing site seeing all the dolphins and birds. If you decide to put together a trip I'll make the RUN.

Please take a minute or two and keep us posted of new developments. Does anyone know a website that posts the events as they unfold?

Deano2

stallion:
Unfortunately drove down with three women in the car, so there DEFINATELY no space to pack my scuba stuff. But I'll definately go back down soon to catch the sharks on Protea Banks though.

THREE women in the car - you lucky b****r .

Maybe I'll make it up there next year.

Safe Diving

Andrew

Deano2:
Wow, My heart is pumping just thinking that the sardines are passing through now. It must be an amazing site seeing all the dolphins and birds. If you decide to put together a trip I'll make the RUN.

Please take a minute or two and keep us posted of new developments. Does anyone know a website that posts the events as they unfold?

Deano2

try this website-

http://www.mickclarke.co.uk/sardine_run.htm

scubashooter:
I'll give you a teaser from last year... I hope this year is even better
http://homepage.mac.com/drewwong/sardinerun/iMovieTheater10.html

Awesome video!!

I'm planning a 3 week trip to South Africa in June 06 and wanted to ask a few questions if that's ok.

The first few days will be spent around Cape Town where I will get in a couple of days of cage diving with the Great Whites. The rest of the trip I can be fairly flexible, although we do want to visit a friend who lives north of Johannesburg for a week or so and do some safari and horseriding up there. The more I have been reading up on the Sardine run the more I am wondering if it is worth actually booking a 'package' trip, or whether it would be better just to do other stuff until (if) the sardines appear and then head over to the east coast. If I did this would I be able to get booked onto a boat with such short notice or will they all be prebooked?

While I'm in South Africa I would also like to dive Protea Banks and probably Sodwana Bay as well. However the Sardine Run has been a dream of mine since I first heard about it, so that is definately the number 1 priorty.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

best regards, Simon

simonspear:
Awesome video!!
I'm planning a 3 week trip to South Africa in June 06 and wanted to ask a few questions if that's ok.
The first few days will be spent around Cape Town where I will get in a couple of days of cage diving with the Great Whites. The rest of the trip I can be fairly flexible, although we do want to visit a friend who lives north of Johannesburg for a week or so and do some safari and horseriding up there. The more I have been reading up on the Sardine run the more I am wondering if it is worth actually booking a 'package' trip, or whether it would be better just to do other stuff until (if) the sardines appear and then head over to the east coast. If I did this would I be able to get booked onto a boat with such short notice or will they all be prebooked?
While I'm in South Africa I would also like to dive Protea Banks and probably Sodwana Bay as well. However the Sardine Run has been a dream of mine since I first heard about it, so that is definately the number 1 priorty.
Any advice would be really appreciated!
best regards, Simon
Simon
I've done the sard run for the last 6 years. Chances of you booking a boat while you are down there is pretty slim unless the local dive shops out of Umkoomas or elsewhere have 8 people, then they would head down to say Port Edwards and launch from there. Usually a last minute thing. Once the sards hit the natal coast everyone will want in so your chances sink pretty quickly.

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid you'd say that - it's kind of hard to book something up front when you've no idea if the Sardines will even be there! Oh well it's not like I'm the only one in this situation :)

From your experience is there a particular area along the coast and dive operator / accomodation that you would recommend? By the sound of it I would be better waiting until at least mid June to be there. rather than the beginning of June that I originally had in mind.

Many thanks, Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom