Need info on Niagara River for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a very new diver, and we are considering diving Niagara River, above the falls this weekend. I will be with a big dive group, but I have never done a drift dive. I am quite anxious wondering if I am ready to try that yet. Can anyone tell me what it will be like?
Thanks!

Hi PA:

Remember to dive WAYYY up river, preferably at a town called Fort Erie. There are several sites along the strip to try. I'm not a Niagara River expert, as I tend to dive wrecks in the Great Lakes, infact I haven't even been in it this year and probably won't be before winter. Our shop however does do it fairly frequently.

If you want, call Joe, Cindy or Jen at Adventure Scuba in St. Catharines 905-WET-DIVE (905-938-3483), tell them Steve Rodgers told you to call, and ask if anyone is going that way this weekend, and maybe sombody can show you the ropes.

Generally speaking the depth is 15-20ft, warm (60-65??), and enough current that you probably couldn't swim against it for too long without going backwards :)

Boat traffic is a concern, and I highly recommend a float/surface marker.

Have fun, let us know how it goes.

Regards

Steve R.

also Dan's Dive Shop is doing weekly drifts in the Niagara river every wednesday night 905-984-2160 plug the other shop too Steve....LOL

you be fine.....markers are needed as you surface in case of boat traffic....its easy...jump in - get to the bottom and steer.

have fun

starfish365:
also Dan's Dive Shop is doing weekly drifts in the Niagara river every wednesday night 905-984-2160 plug the other shop too Steve....LOL

you be fine.....markers are needed as you surface in case of boat traffic....its easy...jump in - get to the bottom and steer.

have fun

Thanks for everyone's input!! I didn't get to go on the dive - due to family circumstances. But my dive buddy did go, and he said the viz was very poor - sometimes only 5', and relatively strong current. He has dove there before, and said this was probably the worst trip.

So, onward to better diving trips!! Headed to Curacao in Feb 06. Can't Wait!!

Thanks again!!

PaScubaGirl70:
Thanks for everyone's input!! I didn't get to go on the dive - due to family circumstances. But my dive buddy did go, and he said the viz was very poor - sometimes only 5', and relatively strong current. He has dove there before, and said this was probably the worst trip.

So, onward to better diving trips!! Headed to Curacao in Feb 06. Can't Wait!!

Thanks again!!

Vis is always bad after rain - unfortunately we've had a bit lately....maybe you can come and try next year -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom