200 yard surface swim..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
200 yards or meters is only about 8 laps in a 25 yard/meter pool. It seems to me that if you can't do this untimed without stopping at the edge, you're not ready for open water activities, and might have difficulty not panicking in open water when there's nothing to hang onto.

First become comfortable just hanging out in water for extended periods of time, then try scuba.

I do very much agree with this. But for those who want to dive but cannot swim, swimming is great training for your physical and mental health, so go at it and look up your local public pool and start one lap at the time. In a VERY short time most people will advance more than they would ever think, and this makes both your mind and your heart feel great!

Then later, see you in the diving boat!

Sincerely,

Reidar (Former national competition swimmer)

If you can swim, you can pass the test. If you can't swim, then learn how before you learn SCUBA. I am not a really strong swimmer, adequate is how I would describe my abilities. I passed the YMCA test which is 300 yds. I've also got the mile swim patch from Boy Scouts. I wasn't first, but I wasn't last either, I was about in the middle.

Paco:
Not sure about SSI, but if it's like PADI, the test is untimed but you may not stop to rest at the side of the pool. When I did mine, I swam on my back, slowly kicking and paddling, essentially in a resting position. Worked for me. Good luck.

Oh, and I don't think a class of 9 is too big, especially if there is more than one instructor or a divemaster helping out. Even with just one instructor, 9 seems fine.

For me the swim part is easy however the place I've being certified is w/o skorkel & fins which is no biggie. When my hubby was going t o scuba, he had a problem with swimming/floating - he ended up floating for 11 min. (my timing him). You can swim any stroke you desire but no stops whatsoever. Just practice.

Back
Top Bottom