• No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got close to 200 solo dives in and have refined it to an art. Double to triple redundancy and never go farther than my experience allows. When I get this funny little feeling in the back of my neck I call it off. You all know the feeling...=-) I do a lot of bug hunting and fishing so a buddy sometimes isn't practical because you split up anyway when your on the prowl...
Besides I have a huge life insurance policy and that keeps the wife happy:jester: Hasta, Joe.

divrnr once bubbled...
I've got close to 200 solo dives in and have refined it to an art. Double to triple redundancy and never go farther than my experience allows. When I get this funny little feeling in the back of my neck I call it off. You all know the feeling...=-)

Hey divrnr, you dive like me. Maybe we should buddie up and dive solo together LOL ................Arduous

I'm fairly new. About 30 dives. I don't mind diving solo in the pool but OW. Naw. Although my buddy does need a little more training. :) On the other hand, I'm sure that I am the perfect buddy. :rolleyes:

If I can find a diver that has the proper skills for a dive I'm planning on doing (and preferrably a CCR diver)I rather have a buddy, but usually I end up solo diving because I unless I am teaching I like to enjoy my dive and not have to babysit a diver with poor skills.. I dive an Rb with plenty of OC bailout..

When I am alone I make no noise so I get to see many things that other divers miss.. Diving solo deep or shallow really doesn't make a difference for both you MUST be equipped to care for yourself under all circumstances, since by definition you are on your own and must accept responsibility for oneself..

Most of the diveboats that I dive have a policy of no solo diving except for selected individuals whom the captains are quite familiar with..

I've done a few solo dives. If I have the choice of diving solo or being paired up with someone (for lack of a buddy), I'd prefer to go solo. With a charter, you don't know who you're being paired up with and I've been paired with people on more than one occasion whose heads are not on straight. If someone isn't diving safely, I don't want to be responsible for being their babysitter.

On more technical dives, I like to have a buddy because you just never know.

We often get seperated in poor vis that is Puget Sound much of the time. So you are diving by yourself but there is somebody in close proximity if you don't surface really close to the same time they can come looking for your remains without getting a search party.

I have done a solo dive, but it was very shallow. Vis was 0, but I couldn't find a spot deeper than 18 feet. I would do it again, but it would have to be somewhere I am familiar with and it wouldn't be deep. I also have a buddy on shore and have a set amount of time that I will be down.

Agree with others

I would do this in the pool to practice skills, but not in OW. I wouldn't want to dive in OW on my own. The reason I took it up was so that my husband and I could dive together - although he is more nervous in water than I am, the best thing is sharing the hobby and the sights. Oh and the fab holidays that go with it!

cheers
Rosie

I have never dove solo. I don't know if I would. I might consider a very shallow shore dive.
It's not that I don't trust myself or that I put all my trust within my buddy, because certainly there are some divers who wouldn't know how or just wouldn't help out in an emergency situation. I just think that I would have a better chance of getting out of an emergency situation if someone actually saw it and I weren't alone.

When I have a trained pilot in the right seat, the flight will be much safer. However, I am solo for most of the time and with proper training and equipment this is no problem. The same is true for the dangers of solo diving. Fully redundant air source, spare mask, two sources of depth indication (dive computer and standard gauge is what I chose), and so on, will make it safer, but never as safe as with a buddy.

Oh, and just as in filing a flight plan, I file a dive plan with family or friends. Preferably someone who is at the dive location, on shore or on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom