Shark diving options? Other places than the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenny8

New
Reaction score
My BF and I are interested in doing a shark dive in the Caribbean.

Research led me to Nassau, Bahamas (looking at Stuart's Cove). Unfortunately, the area seems a little too touristy and pricey for personal tastes. I'm more interested in beach-huts than mega-resorts.

So although shark diving is a priority, I don't want to be miserable the rest of my vacation.

Dominica seems more my speed in terms of an unspoilt island with a general good vibes from the locals, fantastic diving, and great value. The problem is, from what I can tell from research.... no sharks!

Are there any other locations in the Caribbean where shark diving is available? A happy compromise out there? Another possibility, how reasonable would it be to pop by the Bahamas for a day, and spend the duration of the trip on a different island?

Thanks

I can say that i was in Dominca in March....didn't see 1 single shark for the 9 days that i was there and dove. Nassau is really good...and i loved SC...they are great and had no problems with them. great DVD also of the shark dives. other than that i don't know where else is good. actually i heard that T&C is good for shark dives..i'll be going there in Dec.

I believe they do shark dives in Roatan now...and also if you are still thinking about the Bahama's there are more places to go besides Nassau...Check out some of the other islands. If need help, I can recommend a very good Caribbean Travel Agent. Just PM me.

The first question is how you define "shark dive". You can find Nurse Sharks all over the caribean and Florida. If you are looking to see a shark feeding, the Bahamas is one place. Grand Caymen (east side) does a trip. Several places in Belize do a feeding for little nurse sharks ...

Try the Turks and Caicos Islands I like diving with Caicos Adventures and we see sharks on almost every dive. I find it more unusual not to see a shark than to see one, usually someone sees them on every dive.

I did the shark dive in Roatan in july and loved it (Waihuka adventures-run by Italians-http://sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=33587). It was 75$ for the dive and we were lucky enough to only be 3 divers (my BF + another friend)+ DM and cameraman but I think it's usually groups of 6-7 divers. Definately worth it and even the 50$ DVD is worth buying! Loved west end in Roatan, very laid back, nice beaches nearby, good choice of restaurants and the diving is great (haven't seen any sharks at the regular dive sites but there's amazingly friendly big grouper near the wreck in front of Anthony's key). Check out my picture gallery for the shark picture I posted...

Grand Bahama Island has shark dives too - smaller and less pricey than Nassau. UNEXSO does a shark dive and also has a dolphin dive (in the open ocean, not a tank) which is choreographed but pretty cool.

As someone else mentioned there are lots of sharks if you dive with Caicos Adventures on Provo in Turks and Caicos. I don't think they have a specific shark dive and the boat rides are long. Plus the island is one of mega-resorts and condos. But it's great for sharks and wall dives.

Have fun!

The southern end of Bimini has the most easily accessible wild shark encounters in the Bahamas... there is a shark research station there.

No rodeos or chumsicles for me, thank you very much!! :)

Another good place for shark diving is Long Island. Try Stella Maris they usually do a Thursdaqy 3 tank dive with the last dive being a shark feed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom