Fort Collins area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was interested in finding out any info. on winter dive spots near Fort Collins..... have relatives that live in FC and was interested in diving there over this upcoming winter season....thanks.

I just moved to Fort Collins. Horsetooth Resevoir is the most viable body of water for diving locally. Carter Lake is about a half hour away. There are many small lakes in the area, but nothing that seems interesting. There is also evidence of quarrying, but as of yet, I have been unable to find the quarry.

No flooded quarries in Ft. Fun. sorry.... I've seen most of them on Geology field trips.
Problem w/ the lakes is that most freeze up. I spent many years in the Ft., H. tooth would be fun to dive if you could find open water. Carter doesn't usually freeze untill they refill it after the first of the year, it's a freak of a res. We dove it in Feb (I think) and it was open and water really low. I think it was 42* when we were in it. They refilled it by March and it got a skin of ice on it. Don't hold me to the dates though, I don't have my log in front of me.
Greg

Thanks for the input guys,,,,,this helps!!

Lake Dillon in Summit county. The dam sunk the original town of Dillon which still rests at the bottom. I'm fairly sure your not allowed to dive there but if you don't play by anyones rules or if the rules changed since I lived there that must be a great dive. Sid

Divedoggie:
I finally got the dive in. 3 feet vis. Muddy bottom. 54 degree water. Good practice..gotta keep looking for the right place.

I live in Ft. Collins also and pretty much refuse to dive the "Tooth" . Carter isn't much better, now that they've moved the dive area away from "The Pines" to the quicksand wallow over on the E side. I dive dry and I'm always looking at some of the drive-up /short hike lakes I've fished in the high country, so cold water is not a factor. I have a trip report to a real high "hike in" lake in the Snowy Range of WY HERE but the ice will be forming that high really soon. I've got my eye's on possibly 2 lakes in RMNP as well as a few up at Red Feather Lakes that I've really wanted to try. Nothing deep, but I'm looking to snag a few trout pic's for my portfolio and the brookies are in spawning color right now. I can dive any day of the week as well (self employed) so PM me and we could maybe trade a few "hunches" and possibly get in a dive or 2 before the ice forms up.

Back
Top Bottom