Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A few questions: one - since many of us have hip replacements, is the hover position important when going for the final test?

2) I take prescription Motrin 800 mg - which makes me cough which I have syrup for - will this be a problem with the regulator?

3) Are most of the questions for the written exam found at the end of each chapter? I'm scared.

4) breathing w/o a mask for the final - I've used a nose plug since I was a kid - are you allowed to hold your nose or are nose plugs polite if you will? I'm really becoming scared. Also the table portion threw me for a loop.

The place that I'm to be taking the certification wouldn't even let me cancel within a few days after I made it which was in late July. Can they do that?

I was scubabear2004 however lost the password - couldn't figure out how to change it when resigned. Sorry about that.
scubabear2004

scubabear2005:
3) Are most of the questions for the written exam found at the end of each chapter? I'm scared.
Depends on which agency you're getting certified with. With NAUI most of the questions that were on the test were review questions through the chapter. However don't just read and study these it is your life you're talking about risking.

scubabear2005:
4) breathing w/o a mask for the final - I've used a nose plug since I was a kid - are you allowed to hold your nose or are nose plugs polite if you will? I'm really becoming scared. Also the table portion threw me for a loop.

Depends on your instructor, I'd talk with them and let them know your fears they probably won't have an issue with the nose plugs. Depending on how tight of a seal the plugs give you it might even make it easier for you to clear your ears.

scubabear2005:
The place that I'm to be taking the certification wouldn't even let me cancel within a few days after I made it which was in late July. Can they do that?
All depends on the shops posted policy regarding sign-ups and cancellations, and what paperwork you signed when you registered for the class.

How do you clear a mask if you wear a nose plug?

You might have to work on the basic skills a bit in order to be comfortable doing them. As for your meds, have you had a physical & been cleared to dive? Respiratory problems may be a contra-indicator for diving.

scubabear2005:

For PADI, they're pretty similar, but a tiny bit more difficult... study your tables, and you should be fine. Pay attention to planning repetitive dives, as they don't really bother with the basic "What's the NDL for 50fsw" type questions.

As far as coughing, you can do that through the reg as well as sneeze and even throw up. If you have any questions about the medication call the Divers Alert Network and ask them about the meds and diving. They will give you the best answer.

I would seriously consider practicing the no mask breathing without nose plugs or any other aids. If you ever need to swim without a mask you will be prepared to do it. You won't have nose plugs with you when it happens.

The answers should all be in the chapters of the book.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Scott

scubabear2005:
A few questions: one - since many of us have hip replacements, is the hover position important when going for the final test?

2) I take prescription Motrin 800 mg - which makes me cough which I have syrup for - will this be a problem with the regulator?

I was scubabear2004 however lost the password - couldn't figure out how to change it when resigned. Sorry about that.
scubabear2004

I just completed my certification (PADI) in September. First don't Sweat the test. Read the material,all the answers are there. Plus they reviewed everything, so if you did not understand at first, they went over it until you did. The Dive Planer seams intimidating, but it is actually pretty simple. Work through the sample problems a couple of times. IT worked for me, and I am horrible with math. I also had a problem during my mask replacement drill, bvut got through it. I ahve since practiced the drill. Even without diving, I filled my mask with water put it on and kept it there a while. That will keep you from using your nose, and get you used to the feeling of having water in your nose while mouth breathing

Wayward Son:
How do you clear a mask if you wear a nose plug?

You might have to work on the basic skills a bit in order to be comfortable doing them. As for your meds, have you had a physical & been cleared to dive? Respiratory problems may be a contra-indicator for diving.
I've been given the okay to dive.

scubabear2005:

You need to have strong swimming skills and this includes being able to breath through your mouth without nose plugs. They will require you to take your mask off and put it back on so you will not have a nose plug. If this is something that you can't do you shouldn't be scuba diving. Masks can fail and even fall off your face. What will you do at 50 feet if your strap breaks or you get water in your mask? You need to know how not to inhale through your nose.

The final test has about 10 questions that deal with the tables and as stated, are geared toward repetetive dive planning. I found them easy but everyone is different.

I cough all the time when diving. Not a problem.

The hover position is one of the skills they test you on and I don't know if that can be waived. It is an important skill to have but I don't know that you can't do something a little different. Ask the instructor.

If you don't feel comfortable, make sure you tell the instructor. If you feel nervous before entering the water you will increase your chances of panicking. I've seen it happen and it is avoidable. Just try to relax and take it at your pace.

Scottri:
As far as coughing, you can do that through the reg as well as sneeze and even throw up. If you have any questions about the medication call the Divers Alert Network and ask them about the meds and diving. They will give you the best answer.

I would seriously consider practicing the no mask breathing without nose plugs or any other aids. If you ever need to swim without a mask you will be prepared to do it. You won't have nose plugs with you when it happens.

The answers should all be in the chapters of the book.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Scott

Your comments were most helpful & thank you.

I'm glad you are cleared to dive. It's a great sport full of really neat people. You won't regret it. Just relax and ask a lot of questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom