CCR2000 back in production!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
looking to open discussions....a reputable source informs me that the CCR2000 is soon to be in full production from somewhere in Rhode Island. ISO9000 and mil-spec, with a targetted global marketing launch that will compete heavily with Inspiration, Prism, and Mk16 for their respective markets....any insight out there? Price has come down, and the new unit is very trim. My homework on this unit leads me to believe that this is the best rig out there hands down..they solved the competitions battery issues, integrated computer issues, parts availability issues...I think this is the one that will go the distance. 8-hour duration, pressure tested to 2000fsw...already open water tested to 680fsw by some folks on the west coast. I've been reading alot of the inspiration hype out there.....be careful guys...we're talking about life support systems, not tinker toys. price should not be the deciding factor. likewise, dont depend on a VR3...it runs on 1 O2 sensor system in the loop...what if this craps out? the CCR2000 computer runs off of all 3 sensors that actually fly the rig(with voting logic naturally). I think we need to re-address the inspiration hype out there...they've established a reputation, but whats the reality here...its not the unit for serious technical diving, or professional diving. the battery in the loop failed miserably in navy testing recently, adn the US govt wont even take a look at it. Likewise, they got grandfathered in to the CE approval in Europe. My gut tells me they're in for some competition really really soon

Have you ever dove one? Got about 500 hours on mine with most dives in the 3-400' range. Theres no hype just a good rig. I'm no test pilot so in 4 or 5 years I may took a look at it. Battery failures? Do explain.

Ps integrated computer issues, to late ap's evolution already done.

Not a serious tech unti. I tell You what by your CCR2000 and come down and well do the pepsi challenge to 400' or 500'

I wouldnt trust my life to any unit right out of the blocks, so already a tremendous disadvantage.

What about the handset failure in the ccr2000. I dove one but its been awhile so bear with me. It has 1 handset. In the event of a fail of the master, the slave takes over and runs the unit at a ppo2 of .7. Sorry I aint trusting no computer to hold a .7 with no visual reference. Your better off having no electronics and flying semi closed. Has that changed?

Only way I see a battry failure is
1. you dont change them
2. you flood the loop

Either way wont really make any difference where they are at that point.

I recently completely dissasembled my unit and have to report handset connectors looked great. In fact all connectors looked good. Only complaint would be tha magnets, but thats a cheap fix.

yep, own and dive both rigs.......

tell me if this makes sense from an engineering standpoint....inspirations battery (which throws a charge, and emits gas....cause thats what batteries do!) is in the loop. Now you blast pure O2 over a source for electronic current..doesnt make much sense. The housing for the battery just failed Navy tests at NEDU in P City...NOAA was searching for more test results, and the fed govt wont buy it with this issue..makes alot of sense. For comparison...the CCR2000 has redundant batts externally, both depth rated to 2000fsw, and are rechargable. 500 hours of dives, you must've spent some change on Duracells....CCR2000 is rechargable....15 hours dive time, so every 2-3 days you plug in overnight.

Inspiration head haunchos have resorted to a stubborn view of 'do it our way'....big mistake.

innerspace1000 once bubbled...
yep, own and dive both rigs.......

tell me if this makes sense from an engineering standpoint....inspirations battery (which throws a charge, and emits gas....cause thats what batteries do!) is in the loop. Now you blast pure O2 over a source for electronic current..doesnt make much sense. The housing for the battery just failed Navy tests at NEDU in P City...NOAA was searching for more test results, and the fed govt wont buy it with this issue..makes alot of sense. For comparison...the CCR2000 has redundant batts externally, both depth rated to 2000fsw, and are rechargable. 500 hours of dives, you must've spent some change on Duracells....CCR2000 is rechargable....15 hours dive time, so every 2-3 days you plug in overnight.

Inspiration head haunchos have resorted to a stubborn view of 'do it our way'....big mistake.
For an industry that has been struggling to make a major push to the Dive worlds that exist, focussing on, and commenting with hard,accurate, supportive facts eliminating Hype from both manufacturers and especially consumers is the missing link!....Hats off to you Innerspace 1000 for addressing what is and should be the ultimate of importance to perspective and current Rebreather divers. Your assessments and comments back to "saturated" were most objectively stated and with fact. I have been reading these forums for ahile now, and the mistake I see , which could be critical to a perspective Rebreather diver is that those writing are in most cases extremely subjective in their comments too often siding on to the poit of defending their "Chioce" of equipment.....It's important to convey less opinionated statements, getting to the facts, whether you want to hear them or not, so, those of us, who whole heartedly want this industry to prosper, can be assured that we get Rid of the UNfounded Personal Fluuf" that could cloud the decision process in making the best decision......We are talking "LIFE SUPPORT" here!!!!!!!!......Also, the lack of significant competition in this industry has played a role in where it stands as well....It's assuring to see that there are a couple of Manufacturer's trying to make a hard push.But, please, for the sake wanting to sell "The World", the facts must be present and we all must be humble and humbled when talking about this subject.....Again Innerspace 1000, congrats to you for stepping up, making it clear what really is important....Attitudes like yours will go a long way into making this a credible and successful industry........By the way, I stand behind you 100% regarding the CCR 2000 vs the Inspiration.........both are good units......but, CCR 2000 is clearly a superior unit overall.......this is not a knock to Inspiration...I respect those whom dive it and those who have worked very hard to penetrate a "Closed Minded, Open Circiut Industry".........

Ok guys enough suspense, got any specific info. What arena is this being produced for? Cis market? Any links to available info?

Thanks

also a rumor that part of the hype and marketing behind the new 2000 is a possible record dive 1250fsw....clearly the only rig that can handle it

saturated once bubbled...
Have you ever dove one? Got about 500 hours on mine with most dives in the 3-400' range. Theres no hype just a good rig. I'm no test pilot so in 4 or 5 years I may took a look at it. Battery failures? Do explain.

Ps integrated computer issues, to late ap's evolution already done.

Not a serious tech unti. I tell You what by your CCR2000 and come down and well do the pepsi challenge to 400' or 500'

I wouldnt trust my life to any unit right out of the blocks, so already a tremendous disadvantage.

What about the handset failure in the ccr2000. I dove one but its been awhile so bear with me. It has 1 handset. In the event of a fail of the master, the slave takes over and runs the unit at a ppo2 of .7. Sorry I aint trusting no computer to hold a .7 with no visual reference. Your better off having no electronics and flying semi closed. Has that changed?

Only way I see a battry failure is
1. you dont change them
2. you flood the loop

Either way wont really make any difference where they are at that point.

I recently completely dissasembled my unit and have to report handset connectors looked great. In fact all connectors looked good. Only complaint would be tha magnets, but thats a cheap fix.
Hat's off to you guys...Saturated and Innerspace 1000.......No Design out there is "Perfect"....and for that matter, never will be....remembering to be realistic, yet, poignant can spur an entire Industry to "LISTEN" and "GROW".........Saturated, are you a Professional Diver?....your comments lead me to think so....or maybe you are clearly a very educated Diver who has taken the time to understand himself...his passion....and especially the means which support your life out there in "Innerspace".........

Two innerspace’s signing up within 10 minutes, are you both of them?
And why pick Innerspace’s name if you’re so hot for the CCR2000. I for one was all excited for a moment that Steve or Leon joined the board ... :(
Somehow I think you ganna take a lot of flak for your post.
looking to open discussions....a reputable source informs me that the CCR2000 is soon to be in full production from somewhere in Rhode Island. ISO9000 and mil-spec, with a targetted global marketing launch that will compete heavily with Inspiration, Prism, and Mk16 for their respective markets....any insight out there?
I would have hoped that with your ‘reputable souce’ and personal experience you’d be the one giving insights. Mil-spec is fine for the military, but tends to be rather expensive and in some cases useless for civilians. MK16 list for close to $60K, I sure am not paying for a non-magnetic RB. Ever tried to get Inconnels filled at an average dive store, or travel with them? Technically illegal to cross state lines without DOT, and for just about every airport sreener they look like the coyote’s ACME bombs.
ISO9000, fine I guess. But doesn’t cover the global market. For Europe CE is needed,
and I doubt the CCR2000 will pass. With welded spherical tanks? Single backmounted counterlung? Yeah, right. So much for global. From what I understand NATO accepted the CE standard, too, so NATO forces are probably also out.

Price has come down, and the new unit is very trim.
The last CCR2000 I saw was this summer, the price had come to $9,900. With just one display. I wouldn’t dive a CCR with a single display if it went for 99 bucks. Making a convinience optional, like ADVs on Megalodon, Inspiration amd Evolution is one thing,
but the display? Not for me! If the managed to make that rig trim they changed a lot.

My homework on this unit leads me to believe that this is the best rig out there hands down..they solved the competitions battery issues, integrated computer issues, parts availability issues...
Is competition plural or did you refer to APD and forget the ‘?
Prism - one standard, easily available 9V battery in a sealed 1 ata compartment outside the loop, the secondary runs off the O2 cells.
MK16 - same set-up, different battery.
Megalodon - 2 batteries in 2 sealed 1 ata compartments inside the loop.
Inspiration - 2 batteries inside 1 non-sealed compartment in the loop at ambient pressure. The least desirable of the four, but by the time the battery compartment gets flooded the scrubber is, too. The batteries are the least of your worries and you bailout.
Integrated computer issues? What issues you’re talking about?
Parts availability? You’re kidding, right? I doubt that the CCR2000 will start out with the dealer (or instructor) infra structure that the Inspiration has. Remeber the removable breathing loop, that you can conviniently take with you on your vacation and rent the rest of the rig? Care to tell us about all the places you have been to and done that?
Then compare that number with places that offer Inspiration training, parts and supplies.
And with the size and weight I last saw you better be able to just take the loop. Wanna travel with your CCR? Take the Prism or the Mini Meg. Maybe the Evo.

I think this is the one that will go the distance. 8-hour duration, pressure tested to 2000fsw...already open water tested to 680fsw by some folks on the west coast.
8 hrs. duration tested and certified by whom? NEDU/NAVSEA? DERA? At what depth, temperature and breathing volume? What size scrubber? Or is this a RB80 like distance “So-and-so dove it for that-and-that amount of time the other day.”
Feel free to submit independent testing data, or have Olympic Submarines (or whoever builds the rig these days) post them.

I've been reading alot of the inspiration hype out there.....be careful guys...we're talking about life support systems, not tinker toys.
Exactly what I meant with my answers regarding a single display and dubious scrubber duration. What Inspiration hype?

price should not be the deciding factor. likewise, dont depend on a VR3...it runs on 1 O2 sensor system in the loop...what if this craps out?
Price is a factor for most people. It sucks, but few have endless means. If it is not for you, look into the new Infinto, or the legendary Cis-Lunar. Last I saw the CCR2000 didn’t have a hydrophobic membrane around the scrubber. Or an integrated OC/DSV. Nor a HUD. Nor ...
When the VR3’s cell craps out you switch to ppO2 calculation without a cell and watch your two(!) handsets/3 cells to make sure they’re at the computer’s setpoint. The Inspiration also gives you the Hammerhead option with dual displays, currently one and soon two integrated trimix deco computers. That’ll be the standard to beat. (Hammerhead batteries are in the handsets, by the way). All that aside, any sane diver, at least extended range diver, carries tables as back-up. Don't you?

the CCR2000 computer runs off of all 3 sensors that actually fly the rig(with voting logic naturally).
So does the Hammerhead, and with two independent computers and controllers, plus the patented DIVA. Steam Machines is working on an integrated computer with HDD display of all computer data. The Evolution and later the Inspiration also offer integrated computers. Innerspace Systems Corp. is working on their’s, too. With some luck it’ll be powered by the Hammerhead, I sure hope so. All of those run off the three sensors in the loop.

I think we need to re-address the inspiration hype out there...they've established a reputation, but whats the reality here...
Actually, the Inspiration’s reputation is less than pefect, so it’s probably pretty close to reality. No other CCR has such a (good and bad) track record. Hence, the reputation is probably not far from the reality.

its not the unit for serious technical diving, or professional diving.

the battery in the loop failed miserably in navy testing recently, adn the US govt wont even take a look at it. Likewise, they got grandfathered in to the CE approval in Europe. My gut tells me they're in for some competition really really soon
If extended range diving is what you consider technical, you’re way off base. Have a look at ZeroG reports and profiles. (No CCR2000s on that trip, I wonder why?). Trevor Jackson’s wreck trip to 177m a few years ago. They’re used on wrecks and in caves all the time, probably a lot more than CCR2000s.

Professional diving? Not many RBs used there, that’s usually surface supplied diving. I doubt they even teach RB diving in commercial diving schools (I know they don’t in Santa Barbara). So we’ll see if the CCR2000 changes all that.

If you have any testing reports and data to share, feel free and do so. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of people here intrested.

Stefan

looking to open discussions....a reputable source informs me that the CCR2000 is soon to be in full production from somewhere in Rhode Island. ISO9000 and mil-spec, with a targetted global marketing launch that will compete heavily with Inspiration, Prism, and Mk16 for their respective markets....any insight out there? Price has come down, and the new unit is very trim. My homework on this unit leads me to believe that this is the best rig out there hands down..they solved the competitions battery issues, integrated computer issues, parts availability issues...I think this is the one that will go the distance. 8-hour duration, pressure tested to 2000fsw...already open water tested to 680fsw by some folks on the west coast. I've been reading alot of the inspiration hype out there.....be careful guys...we're talking about life support systems, not tinker toys. price should not be the deciding factor. likewise, dont depend on a VR3...it runs on 1 O2 sensor system in the loop...what if this craps out? the CCR2000 computer runs off of all 3 sensors that actually fly the rig(with voting logic naturally). I think we need to re-address the inspiration hype out there...they've established a reputation, but whats the reality here...its not the unit for serious technical diving, or professional diving. the battery in the loop failed miserably in navy testing recently, adn the US govt wont even take a look at it. Likewise, they got grandfathered in to the CE approval in Europe. My gut tells me they're in for some competition really really soon

I can think of another unit out there when its released to the general market (there are already a large number of units in several large customer hands) will be the king of the hill.. It wount be for everyone since its even more expensive than a CIS... Several scubber size willl be available available, the largest is supposed to have an 11 hour duration, back mounted or OTS lungs, multiple redundant computers/controllers. seperate redundant external supplies for computers and solenoid (all 1atm components should be flood proof to any depth), full co2 monitoring and much more... Every component in the system is being individually certified.. I'm just getting tired of waiting for mine...

This debate is great gentlemen!......This is how an industry that we are connected to gets stimulated.....Passion is burning through this talk!!!!!!For the record.......It's pure coincidence that 2 usernames this close showed up today......I was the first......maybe that spured the second.......Caveseeker.....you've got your side down!...congrats to you!!!...I hope both of you continue...and others begin to join in....A bit of deffensiveness going on too........Remember, Decisions are made given many factors on which equipment to go with........Loyalty to a manufacturer that has been built as a result of ownership exist here too......Let's address why people might chose one over the other.......Unless you can represent these individuals on the projects and how it relates to "Why the CCR 2000 was not there"...and with permissible proof from that individual, then it should be staed as a matter of your on opinion....which seems to really fly well on this sight......let's get some real acounts going here....real testimonials.........let's weigh it all out without getting to fired up and defensive.....Bottom line here for me is to see this Industry grow and not trash talk why those who've had the balls to step up and make contributions failed........not cool....Let's applaud those Minds out there who've tried to make their mark in this industry........:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom