Hurricane Rita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kinda expected a more informing answer. Are you sure it's FEMA? I think most people including most government officials don't realy understand what FEMA does. I have been involved with FEMA and Im not real sure of everything they do.
Im getting this finger pointing at FEMA impression here. If it is there problem, then it should be fixed but Im thinking it's a local government problem. Id like to hear some real facts on this.

Let's see, the federal government promising money to affected states and cities while the storm damage is big news, but then quietly not paying after the public's attention is elsewhere? Nah, that would never happen....

Disclaimer: I'm not saying anything about FEMA specifically here.

Again, you just don't get it. You need a hard look into FEMAs role. It's being redefined as we speak. Waht it was then is a whole other issue. FEMA dosen't pay out cash becouse people build in stupid spots.

Y'all realize that we have but 4 storm names left this year for the U.S. Atlantic coast? If we run out....
In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on.

This is getting scarier!

I barely slept last night glued to the TV watching storm coverage.

My entire family is spread out from Matagorda Bay to The Woodlands....boy I wish I still had amily in Austin so I wouldn't have to worry about them. I have a few in Galveston and Clear Lake that have made it to HOuston...My Dad went to the bay two days ago to secure his bayhouse and get anything of value out fo there and to take his boat to Austin...but I haven't been able to reach him since Tuesday night. Mom doesn't know what she's going to do at this point because she's now worried about being stuck on the highway during the storm...

Please keep those prayer chains going for all those in the strike zone.

parrotheaddiver:
It has been reported today that I45 will be one way north starting at 9:00am..alos reported all hotels in Texas are full...
You may not get room service, but we will house evacuees as needed. Lubbock and Amarillo are ready.

A few suggestions for anyone hitting the road, just in case one might help...

(1) Take more drinking water than you think you'll need. No pit stops.

(2) Take zip lock bags and a secure container to hold used zip locks. No pit stops.

(3) Take room deordorizer. Whew.

(4) Check your radiator along with the rest of your engine before you leave. Wear cool clothing. Windows down and AC off when you're stalled or moving slowly.

(5) Finally, take fill 3 or 4 gallon bleach jugs with non-drinking water and take it, in case your car overheats. Many will.

If you are reading this from the coastal area, you're late leaving. This one is bigger than 1900 storm that level Galveston, the biggest Texas has had in recorded history.

It looks like it is projected to retain hurricane status winds inland as far as Dallas. It could be Oklahoma's first hurricane.

God be with you all...

Well apparently CNN is stating that this storm is ALOT worse than Katrina, and potentially more devastating. And as it is headed towards our oil rigs and refineries, that we could potentially be looking at paying $6-7 a gallon of gas soon. Gads, I hope that isn't the case and that it certainly won't be as bad as predicted.
The good thing is that people are taking this seriously ahead of time and getting out of the area. Lets all keep very positive thoughts that it won't be so bad.

Back
Top Bottom